The 2018 Mustang is Here - Full Details Inside

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Ok hold on. I didn't mean to hurt your feeling on your style. I just used it as a reference to show classic style vs new age. I remember people felt the same way when the sn95 was introduced. I felt the 15 design was a fail. It wasn't until I saw the GT350 in person that I was like "That's badass!".

Exactly my point. Slim Fit has been around for decades and actually centuries. I get sick of hearing about it from fat old men that's shop at Walmart and think an over sized Hawaiian shirt is hot stuff.

As for the S550, it's a return to the SN/New Edge styling. It's a return to honoring styling cues while not be slaves to a design that came out in 1964.

We had 30 years of modern mustangs before we got force fed the disastrous S197 (05-10) styling.

My gripe with the first S550 was the headlights internal styling, the projector and slotted reflectors make it look to much like eyeballs. Catfish eyeballs.

Dusten

Established Member
Exactly my point. Slim Fit has been around for decades and actually centuries. I get sick of hearing about it from fat old men that's shop at Walmart and think an over sized Hawaiian shirt is hot stuff.

As for the S550, it's a return to the SN/New Edge styling. It's a return to honoring styling cues while not be slaves to a design that came out in 1964.

We had 30 years of modern mustangs before we got force fed the disastrous S197 (05-10) styling.

My gripe with the first S550 was the headlights internal styling, the projector and slotted reflectors make it look to much like eyeballs. Catfish eyeballs.
05-09, but you're right on the rest of it.

Never_Enough

Established Member
THIS!!! THIS RIGHT HERE!!!!

Remember Fords marketing objective for the Mustang HAS to be the 25 - 35 y.o. demographic. That's where you hook people in for life hopefully and that's a group that is hyper conscious to innovation and new technology . Solid rear axle and a clunky T5 transmission would never cut it w/ that crowd no matter how much hp you throw at them. As an earlier poster put it, the Mustang is looking to be the "poor man's" ( relatively speaking ) 911 subsequently it's gotta bring the whole package - styling, handling, tech and power.
Can most 25 year olds now afford 40-50k cars, though?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
25 year olds certainly can. A 25 year old college grad can easily make 65k-85k a year. Those who learned a trade can make just as much.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
25 year olds certainly can. A 25 year old college grad can easily make 65k-85k a year. Those who learned a trade can make just as much.

I see you are in the world of finance, so I am assuming you have more of an insight into this than I do, but I am having trouble following your statement. I am not trying to start and argument. I just don't see the math working out. At least not from my personal experience.

Lets workout the math based on my life/neighborhood. I would assume that a significant amount of 25 YO straight out of college don't own a home, don't have a spouse or kids. At $85k a year, they are basically on the big end of the Bend Over spectrum of the IRS. So, figure between Fed income taxes and other federal taxes, you can knock at least $20k off the top. If they live in a state like VA, now you can take another $5k of income tax out of their net.

Now, we are at $60k. I am guessing they are in an affluent area to bring down that kind of cash straight out of school. So, maybe $800-$1000 a month for rent. And believe me, that is living in the ghetto in DC metro. Probably more like $2k a month to be in a nice area... but we'll work with the "hood" numbers.

So, we're at $48k. I am assuming they are obeying the ACA and paying "their fair share" of the insurance burden via the Exchange. Healthcare.Gov shows a 25 YO healthy guy that grosses $85k a year should pay a median fee of a tad over $360 a month in my area. That takes a 25 YO down to $43k a year.

So, $43k... assuming they have decent credit and can get a 72 mo loan at 5%... a $50k car, tax, tag, delivery, etc... you're looking at $850 a month.

Now we have to buy insurance. Man, Ben Dover again. 25 in a top-end Mustang... if you have a spotless record, maybe $200 a month if you don't own any other vehicles.

So, we are down to about $30k left. I have to pay $2,600 in annual property tax for the privilege of owning my Mustang. Now we are at about $27,500.

Without going down this rabbit hole any further, that leave the average single, 25 YO that earns $85k annually, about $528 a week for food, gas, clothing, household utilities, vehicle maintenance, entertainment, etc... God forbid you want to save money for a wedding or to buy a house. All of a sudden, $85k and buying a $50k Mustang doesn't seem like a good idea. At least not in my neighborhood. Can they do it? Sure. Will it be tough and general a bad idea? I think so.

Again, anecdotal at best... but its all I've got. What are your thoughts? And, sorry for the long post.

Never_Enough

Established Member
I see you are in the world of finance, so I am assuming you have more of an insight into this than I do, but I am having trouble following your statement. I am not trying to start and argument. I just don't see the math working out. At least not from my personal experience.

Lets workout the math based on my life/neighborhood. I would assume that a significant amount of 25 YO straight out of college don't own a home, don't have a spouse or kids. At $85k a year, they are basically on the big end of the Bend Over spectrum of the IRS. So, figure between Fed income taxes and other federal taxes, you can knock at least $20k off the top. If they live in a state like VA, now you can take another $5k of income tax out of their net.

Now, we are at $60k. I am guessing they are in an affluent area to bring down that kind of cash straight out of school. So, maybe $800-$1000 a month for rent. And believe me, that is living in the ghetto in DC metro. Probably more like $2k a month to be in a nice area... but we'll work with the "hood" numbers.

So, we're at $48k. I am assuming they are obeying the ACA and paying "their fair share" of the insurance burden via the Exchange. Healthcare.Gov shows a 25 YO healthy guy that grosses $85k a year should pay a median fee of a tad over $360 a month in my area. That takes a 25 YO down to $43k a year.

So, $43k... assuming they have decent credit and can get a 72 mo loan at 5%... a $50k car, tax, tag, delivery, etc... you're looking at $850 a month.

Now we have to buy insurance. Man, Ben Dover again. 25 in a top-end Mustang... if you have a spotless record, maybe $200 a month if you don't own any other vehicles.

So, we are down to about $30k left. I have to pay $2,600 in annual property tax for the privilege of owning my Mustang. Now we are at about $27,500.

Without going down this rabbit hole any further, that leave the average single, 25 YO that earns $85k annually, about $528 a week for food, gas, clothing, household utilities, vehicle maintenance, entertainment, etc... God forbid you want to save money for a wedding or to buy a house. All of a sudden, $85k and buying a $50k Mustang doesn't seem like a good idea. At least not in my neighborhood. Can they do it? Sure. Will it be tough and general a bad idea? I think so.

Again, anecdotal at best... but its all I've got. What are your thoughts? And, sorry for the long post.
At 26 I was making close to $100k a year & owned my first home FWIW. However, I didn't buy a $50k car. I Bought a $30k new car.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Optioned up do they not get well into the 40s right now? The 2018 will go up as new cars go up in price every year.

With every option known to man, sure.

But a Ecoboost is still a $25k car. Optioned nicely it's $30k. You are almost guarantied to get $2-3k off from dealer mark down, incentives and rebates.

If your trading in your old car you may get $3-10k depending on what it is.

You also put down $2k you saved up, now your looking at a $30k car with a $18k loan and at 60m that's around $350 a month.

Most people also lease today which cuts the price in half. Look at all those BMW/Audi ads for $40k cars with $299/m leases.

Never_Enough

Established Member
ecoboost is not the top of the line. I was talking 5.0 of course. Not everyone has a trade. Not everyone puts $ down. None of that changes the total vehicle price anyway.

With every option known to man, sure.

But a Ecoboost is still a $25k car. Optioned nicely it's $30k. You are almost guarantied to get $2-3k off from dealer mark down, incentives and rebates.

If your trading in your old car you may get $3-10k depending on what it is.

You also put down $2k you saved up, now your looking at a $30k car with a $18k loan and at 60m that's around $350 a month.

Most people also lease today which cuts the price in half. Look at all those BMW/Audi ads for $40k cars with $299/m leases.

Dusten

Established Member

That's pretty extreme. Let's use my state

State tax = 0
Annual state fees in car = 70
5% interest is pretty shitty on a new car. Two of my friends, 25, 26 both financed new cars under 3%.

Frees up a little money

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
ecoboost is not the top of the line. I was talking 5.0 of course. Not everyone has a trade. Not everyone puts $ down. None of that changes the total vehicle price anyway.

Do you even have a point?

Ford wants global sales.
Ford wants Millennial Buyers.

To do these thing Ford wants the Mustang to become a stylish, modern, tech-laden sports car.

Regardless of what you think people can and can't afford (or should), Ford is doing it and they are selling +100k in the US alone.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member

lol I'm not in finance.

Its not easy, and not necessarily recommended, but it is possible and you are making a couple assumptions. Living in the more expensive parts of the country makes it dam near impossible to realistically do it.

First, no one with decent credit should be paying 5% interest. If you have good credit, it should be 2% at most.

You are assuming no savings for a significant down payment, and no trade in on a car. No bonus opportunities at work, etc. I would agree that many 25 year olds probably don't have a big savings, especially if they just got out of college. If they actually got out of college "on time" at 22-23, had no significant debts to take care of, and were motivated, they could save up for two years to three years. In the right field, 22-23 year olds are making 65-85k a year out of school, sometimes more.

You don't have to be from an affluent family to make that kind of money out of college. Just have to pick the right degree/trade.

I don't know about you, but I don't spend anywhere near $528 a week on food, gas, utilities, etc., even in Los Angeles. Although in the summer I get a couple giant electric bills.

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
lol I'm not in finance.

Sorry, saw "Financial Adviser for Guys who wear Skinny Jeans" and figured you were a Financial Adviser.

Its not easy, and not necessarily recommended, but it is possible and you are making a couple assumptions. Living in the more expensive parts of the country makes it dam near impossible to realistically do it.

I think that was my point though... It's possible, but not likely or a good idea.

Part of the reason I made those assumptions is because of regional economic demographics. Typically, high paying jobs are in areas of the country that host production... i.e. major cities with concentration of a particular skill set.

For example, I am in an area of the country were the average job is in STEM fields. The average person makes $150k+ annually here. I moved here from RI, were the average person was a non-skilled laborer and earns around $35k annually. Its not to say that there are no high paying job in RI or other areas like it. Its just that its an anomaly, not the norm. That's literally the reason I move to the DC area. To make more money because I was starving in RI.

First, no one with decent credit should be paying 5% interest. If you have good credit, it should be 2% at most.

Well, I have decent credit... I am financing a bunch of cars... The first two loans were at 2.5% the third and fourth were 3.5% the and the loans on the Hellcat and Mustang are both a 7.5%. Every bank said I had too many cars for one driver and they didn't want to give me prime loans for luxury, high priced cars I didn't "need". So, I went with 5% given that we are likely talking about someone with a brief but decent credit history, again, just using my personal experience and what KBB said is a typical rate in my area this month.

You are assuming no savings for a significant down payment, and no trade in on a car. No bonus opportunities at work, etc. I would agree that many 25 year olds probably don't have a big savings, especially if they just got out of college. If they actually got out of college "on time" at 22-23, had no significant debts to take care of, and were motivated, they could save up for two years to three years. In the right field, 22-23 year olds are making 65-85k a year out of school, sometimes more.

I assumed no money for a down payment or a trade because their broke AF from just getting out of school, likely driving a car with little to no resale value and not having any money. LOL

You don't have to be from an affluent family to make that kind of money out of college. Just have to pick the right degree/trade.

I don't know about you, but I don't spend anywhere near $528 a week on food, gas, utilities, etc., even in Los Angeles. Although in the summer I get a couple giant electric bills.

Eh... I'm a computer scientists. No one who works/worked for me straight out of college with an MS never got paid $85k by me and anyone in the market around here. You just don't see $85k-$95k until you have 4 or 5 years of experience, and we are in a wealthy part of the country. Actually, two of the top 10 most affluent counties in the country are in Northern Virginia.

And yea, I spend way more than $500 a week on stuff to live. However, I am not living the life of a 25 YO recent college grad. I have a wife, kids (putting one through college right now), grandson, a big house to heat/cool, 7 cars, some massively expensive habits. I go through more like $1200-$1500 a week supporting my family and our lifestyle.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Sorry, saw "Financial Adviser for Guys who wear Skinny Jeans" and figured you were a Financial Adviser.

I think that was my point though... It's possible, but not likely or a good idea.

Part of the reason I made those assumptions is because of regional economic demographics. Typically, high paying jobs are in areas of the country that host production... i.e. major cities with concentration of a particular skill set.

For example, I am in an area of the country were the average job is in STEM fields. The average person makes $150k+ annually here. I moved here from RI, were the average person was a non-skilled laborer and earns around $35k annually. Its not to say that there are no high paying job in RI or other areas like it. Its just that its an anomaly, not the norm. That's literally the reason I move to the DC area. To make more money because I was starving in RI.

Well, I have decent credit... I am financing a bunch of cars... The first two loans were at 2.5% the third and fourth were 3.5% the and the loans on the Hellcat and Mustang are both a 7.5%. Every bank said I had too many cars for one driver and they didn't want to give me prime loans for luxury, high priced cars I didn't "need". So, I went with 5% given that we are likely talking about someone with a brief but decent credit history, again, just using my personal experience and what KBB said is a typical rate in my area this month.

I assumed no money for a down payment or a trade because their broke AF from just getting out of school, likely driving a car with little to no resale value and not having any money. LOL

Eh... I'm a computer scientists. No one who works/worked for me straight out of college with an MS never got paid $85k by me and anyone in the market around here. You just don't see $85k-$95k until you have 4 or 5 years of experience, and we are in a wealthy part of the country. Actually, two of the top 10 most affluent counties in the country are in Northern Virginia.

And yea, I spend way more than $500 a week on stuff to live. However, I am not living the life of a 25 YO recent college grad. I have a wife, kids (putting one through college right now), grandson, a big house to heat/cool, 7 cars, some massively expensive habits. I go through more like $1200-$1500 a week supporting my family and our lifestyle.

The financial adviser thing was an inside joke between a few members. Nothing secret, but just mocking a couple events that happened.

We are talking a single 25 year old lifestyle, not married with kids.

Some kids are smart and get well paid engineering internships. They also get hired into the company at a higher rate than average because of what they did in those internships. Some industries pay better than others.

I didn't make 85k out of college. I was a little on the lower end, but I accepted this job as it best suited my needs while my wife was still in the navy.

I do have several friends who ended up being hired into the oil industry. 85k starting, plus almost guaranteed annual bonuses of 10-15k, and annual raises of 5+%. One makes way more after just a few years in montana. They all got sign on bonuses too.

Oil isn't the only industry paying well, but its one of the highest.

My wife doesn't qualify for benefits as she only works 1-2 days a week at each employer, but they offer great healthcare costs of about 200 a month for a family of 3. These are hospitals. She will likely be offered way more than average for new grads as a nurse though as she will have like 6 years relevant experience working in intensive care units. Shes also going to be older than 25 lol. But the military is paying for her college and living expenses.

Not saying any of this is the norm for 25 year olds, but its out there for some of them. Some of them aren't just broke kids. They should be smarter with their money, but some can realistically afford one.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Back on topic now....

So the new conspiracy is the GT will be 455hp because one picture of the digital readout shows gear in 4th and speed at 55mph with the GT500 at 755hp because of a different pic of the digital readout showing the gear in 7th and the speed at 55mph.

While normally I would play that off as just random numbers they picked, you have to notice the odometer showing the first year model and the miles to empty as the first V8 offered. It wouldn't surprise me if the marketing guys are throwing a bone out there.

Users who are viewing this thread