The 2015 MT82

mustangcobra93

Established Member
I recently got a raise at work and the wife has ok'd another mustang. The last one I had was a 2011 premium with the MT82 all stock that I daily drove. I had so much trouble out of the transmission (lock out and grinding in 2nd and 3rd) I got rid of it. Instead of being smart and getting a 2015 with the auto, the "fun factor" has me looking at the stick again. Will I have just as much trouble out of the new MT82? Also, does it too need the clutch line, fluid swap, clutch swap and shifter swap to not act up?

Last edited:

Rct851

Established Member
My question be does it make sense that the new tremec in the gt350 could find its way into the 5.0 in a year or two. Im not sure if that is a possibility or not just throwing it out there

Deranged2013

Established Member
Same boat. I love rowing gears and was lucky enough to own 2 MT-82 s, being facetious of course. The auto is solid and faster but will we miss the fun factor? Tough choice.

Budwise

Track Addict
Established Member
MT82 still sucks honestly. Still whines, still notchy without a fluid change, still the same old same old. It is the one thing I'm still really disappointed with. A brand new car should not have a whining transmission from day 1 and until i swapped Amsoil in it the nibbles were pretty bad.

908ssp

Established Member
My biggest issue is the gear ratios. Just too low for a SCed car.

The GT350 trans isn't new it comes from a cargo van. Really it does.

PhantomX

Established Member
Don't forget the thunk you get on shifting through 4th gear... I don't have the whine like my old one but I do have the dreaded thunk. I'm getting used to it though and honestly for me having 3.73's and a 6spd is a freakin blast. I've owned an '11 tp and now 15 PP and loved them both. My 14 was non TP and i regretted that. All though the new stock GT brakes look like a brembo design and rotors are bigger than outgoing models so they might be decent. My '14 brake sucked and my '11 brembo's weren't much better but these new 6 pots are freakin amazing!

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I don't have any issues with the MT-82 in our EcoBoost car. The MGW made a world of difference. I have some Amsoil for it. Just need to find time to do the swap.

PIKE5.0

Established Member
I just want to know how many of you have serious seat time in other stick cars? The '15 is improved, but is still remote. The remote mounting is by far the greatest culprit. I've had vette to porsche guys run through the MT82, and compliment it. I feel this is mostly a bandwagon bs issue.

I have high rpm lockout, remote mount issue.. I have built the MT82 in my '15. Shifter will make a difference along with clutch.

I've had 4 years to adjust to the MT82, and can shift a stock one fine. Just can't rush it at high rpm. I no lift shift, you name it.. the trans (other than short ratios) has never held me back competitively.

Budwise

Track Addict
Established Member
This is my 2nd one too, had a 13GT before my 15 GT PP. I was super lucky on the first one, super quiet and Amsoil swap made it glide nicely but from the factory it had the same nibbles and notchy feel that my 15 had. My 15 is just another story, sounds like a mild supercharger...

BMR Tech

I got an auto, because of the MT82. If the 15's had a Tremec, I would have gone with a manual.

We have (2) PP cars here at BMR though, one with a stock shifter and one with the MGW....and, honestly, the MGW shifted PP car is a blast. I beat the snot out of it, on the regular. I really like it.

I just new I was going to push 1000 or more HP through mine, so I didn't even wanna mess with the MT82.

I got an auto, because of the MT82. If the 15's had a Tremec, I would have gone with a manual.

We have (2) PP cars here at BMR though, one with a stock shifter and one with the MGW....and, honestly, the MGW shifted PP car is a blast. I beat the snot out of it, on the regular. I really like it.

I just new I was going to push 1000 or more HP through mine, so I didn't even wanna mess with the MT82.

Thinking about getting an auto myself, do you know how much HP it can take before you need to upgrade parts? Does it respond quickly when you shift it manually? Wnat to turbo the car eventually but don't want a transmission nightmare.

Todd

Black2011stang

I think the MT82 has definitely improved... I had a 2011 and I could not powershift and had high RPM lockout often. Even with a poly shift bushing and Hurst shifter... I can powershift my 2015 with confidence and have never had a high RPM lockout...

AMP-D

Established Member
The MT82 whine is from a crappy tooth profile on the input shaft teeth. We developed a replacement shaft for it that is a lot stronger, run quieter but does require a clutch disc swap to a 26 spline like the GT500 uses. Once you address the issues with the unit like better fork pads, a stronger shift rail bushing and reducing the flex in the drivetrain, its actually not a bad unit at all.

Branhammer

Established Member
I guess I've been lucky. This is my first MT82. Haven't done a thing to it and have no thunk, no whine, and no lock-out. Only 2300 miles on the car though, so we'll see...

Rct851

Established Member
The MT82 whine is from a crappy tooth profile on the input shaft teeth. We developed a replacement shaft for it that is a lot stronger, run quieter but does require a clutch disc swap to a 26 spline like the GT500 uses. Once you address the issues with the unit like better fork pads, a stronger shift rail bushing and reducing the flex in the drivetrain, its actually not a bad unit at all.
So basically rebuild a bunch of shit. Got it lol. Then a $500 mgw

nicksender

Established Member
So basically rebuild a bunch of shit. Got it lol. Then a $500 mgw

Plus halfshafts (they have broke on stock manual vehicles on the street).

Suddenly you've just dumped $5k-$6k just to be able to have the trans. and drivetrain be "enjoyable" and withstand mods.; especially if you are going to track it at all.

If I wanted a manual car bad enough I would just save the above cash and buy a GT-350 with what should be an out of the box functional manual that can take abuse. IMO.

I am aware there are a select few who have high HP and have skirted any issues thus far with the MT-82. :rolling:

Jared89

Established Member
Plus halfshafts (they have broke on stock manual vehicles on the street).

Suddenly you've just dumped $5k-$6k just to be able to have the trans. and drivetrain be "enjoyable" and withstand mods.; especially if you are going to track it at all.

If I wanted a manual car bad enough I would just save the above cash and buy a GT-350 with what should be an out of the box functional manual that can take abuse. IMO.

I am aware there are a select few who have high HP and have skirted any issues thus far with the MT-82. :rolling:

there are many s550s running a 750hp+ through the mt82, its not uncommon. but saying you need to dump $5-6k to be able to enjoy the car is alittle crazy. I am in my under $6k with custom tune, procharger, dss half shafts.

Dcrypter

Established Member
there are many s550s running a 750hp+ through the mt82, its not uncommon. but saying you need to dump $5-6k to be able to enjoy the car is alittle crazy. I am in my under $6k with custom tune, procharger, dss half shafts.

^This

The only money i've spent on the MT-82 is for the MGW and I've been satisfied with it ever since. It's easily handling my 600~ rwhp.

Users who are viewing this thread