That wonderful 6.0 life…

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
My uncle went down to Miami to pick up a travel trailer, threw a wrench light and went into limp mode close to home. No CEL but has p0405 for egr a sensor circuit low so new egr valve on the way

Also has overboost and underboost codes, from what I can tell the overboost is most likely what put it in limp mode. Can a stuck egr be responsible for that too?

Once the valve is replaced I should be able to run a test on variable turbo with forscan as well as check the exhaust back pressure sensor (will compare against map and barometer).

Any other thoughts?

Hoping we don’t have to pull the turbo but won’t be surprised, it does sit a LOT. When it’s used it does get plenty of WOT though

Coolant flush, coolant filter, bulletproof egr cooler and new oil cooler were done a while back. It's a company truck and still stock head bolts so not really interested in deleting/tuning

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I dunno, keep some posts in this forum I guess

EGR replaced, first couple blips of the throttle it was almost like a bad miss on return to idle but cleaned up after a couple bumps. I cleared the codes and took it for a drive and seems to be ok. No codes and I beat it like a rented mule from a dig and roll on the express way.

I am using Forscan and monitored VGT % and VGT fault code - no fault codes but I need to further research what normal VGT% is under various conditions. It seems like for the most part VGT% was about 10% under what I found in a random thread (ie if light acceleration should be 55% I was at 45%).

Exhaust back pressure, Map and barometer were all pretty close KEOF and running EBP was only a few psie higher than MAP. While it's out replace the little coolant line section in the valley that leaks when it gets cold out and just do the exhaust back pressure tube and sensor while it's apart.

I'm kind of leaning towards just pulling the damn turbo, clean it and replace the ring. Depending on the solenoid price maybe it just gets replaced too. Using Forscan if I control the VGT% you can definitely hear the turbo sound change so it's not totally ****ed.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Turbo could definitely use a cleaning

ya it seems that way. After watching some videos (Diesel Tech Ron is helpful as hell) I don't think we have any serious issues, it doesnt stick or hang that I saw on my driving today but maybe it's not moving quite like it should.

Im still having a little trouble getting my head around the VGT%. 85% appears to mean that VGT ring is closed and 15% is basically open. If my VGT % is running a little lower than expected it could be slow response because something is sticking but what else could cause it? In the video Ron way saying unexpected VGT% is because it's trying to compensate for something - so if you have say a boost leak would you get higher or lower than expected VGT%?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Now that I’ve thought about vgt drops as you go WOT, so if vgt is lower than expected that would make sense for trying harder to make the same boost. There’s one charge pipe that the connection is questionable so gonna redo it and see what happens

beau t

Established Member

DSG2003Mach1

I found some stuff on Amazon that poured into the fuel tank like an additive that was supposed to clean the vanes in a VGT turbo, i was looking for a fix for a Duramax truck and the guy didn't ok the turbo to be pulled and cleaned so i gave him the info for it, he said it cleared it up. EDIT - i have no idea if it really worked, it was about 20 to 30$ either way if it does work it saves a lot of time and if not your only out a couple bills, unfortantly i don't remember what it was called if you would be interested i can try and find it again.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member

DSG2003Mach1

I found some stuff on Amazon that poured into the fuel tank like an additive that was supposed to clean the vanes in a VGT turbo, i was looking for a fix for a Duramax truck and the guy didn't ok the turbo to be pulled and cleaned so i gave him the info for it, he said it cleared it up. EDIT - i have no idea if it really worked, it was about 20 to 30$ either way if it does work it saves a lot of time and if not your only out a couple bills, unfortantly i don't remember what it was called if you would be interested i can try and find it again.

move heard of it but at this mileage just gonna pull it and replace the unison ring. Need to do a few other things and having it out will make some of it easier

Users who are viewing this thread