Thanks mjchip!

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Every now and then a thread rolls along that thuroughly documents a rare problem. After reading mjchips's thread about fuel issues, I became worried because many of the things he was seeing were eeriely familiar. I sucked it up and pulled my injectors last night and...... 3 were clogged. 2 of them had black hard plastic hanging out of one of the spray holes (passenger side #2&3). 1 (drivers side #5) had something stuck in the lip completely obstructing the view of the spray holes but not preventing fuel from finding a way around it. I'm not sure what it was since when I tried to grab it with the tweezers it crumbled ergo I suspect it was organic. This was definitely not a job for the faint of heart and those injector seals are a pain to find when the rail pulls them off. But the car now runs waaayy better and if my Cobra could smile I'm positive it would.:burnout:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
SoCalBlk03, have you done anything that may have allowed debris into the fuel system? Hearing all this I am wishing I would have pulled and checked inj when I had eaton off and before KB went on.

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
SoCalBlk03, have you done anything that may have allowed debris into the fuel system?

Absolutely nothing that I can think of, my best guess is junk gas :shrug: OBTW I'm not trying to imply this a problem inherent to Cobras rather something to check for if you're troubleshooting low power/ fuel delivery

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Hey man,

I'm really glad to hear that my problem helped you out! That's what these forums are all about IMHO. :)

BTW, took my car to the track last night and since cleaning out my injectors (#1,2,3 cyl partially obstructed) the car runs perfectly with ZERO hesitation in between shifts. I was even able to raise the shift light up from 6K back up to 6300+ without having the car surge and cut out.

MJ

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by mjchip
Hey man,

I'm really glad to hear that my problem helped you out! That's what these forums are all about IMHO. :)

BTW, took my car to the track last night and since cleaning out my injectors (#1,2,3 cyl partially obstructed) the car runs perfectly with ZERO hesitation in between shifts. I was even able to raise the shift light up from 6K back up to 6300+ without having the car surge and cut out.

MJ

That's great news MJ. I know you have been chasing this for a while now. Thanks for sharing the resolution with us as well. :beer:

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Hey man,

MJ

How did your times/traps compare to last weeks run now that the fuel pressure problem has been fixed?

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
BTW, took my car to the track last night and since cleaning out my injectors

What a coincidence so did I. I got back approx 5mph on every run and that was with the stock TB since my BBK is junk right now. So I know there's more waiting for me. My E/T's were less than impressive due to no prep and my fading clutch but much of the old feel is back. The car pulls like an animal again so I'm am quite pleased. Now if they just made an indestructable clutch.......:lol:

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
How did your times/traps compare to last weeks run now that the fuel pressure problem has been fixed?

Okay, you are NOT going to be impressed at first. However, you need to factor in the 96 degree heat and terribly high humidity that we had at NED last night. The bottom line is my trap speed was VERY consistent in comparison to before with the clogged injectors. Last night some of the Lightnings were trapping around 96mph. A bone stock '03 was trapping around 104+mph. Here were my times for all 5 runs:

First two had the shift light set to 6000rpm

Run1: [email protected] w/2.006 60' (bogged launch bad)
Run2: [email protected] w/1.898 60'

Set shift light to: 6400rpm

Run3: [email protected] w/1.867 60' (hit F'n rev limited on 2-3)

Lowered shift light to 6300rpm

Run4: [email protected] w/1.981 60'
Run5: [email protected] w/1.919 60'

So, I'm confident that with better track prep and cooler/drier air I'd be back to the 11's. Thoughts?

MJ

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by SoCalBlk03
What a coincidence so did I. I got back approx 5mph on every run and that was with the stock TB since my BBK is junk right now. So I know there's more waiting for me. My E/T's were less than impressive due to no prep and my fading clutch but much of the old feel is back. The car pulls like an animal again so I'm am quite pleased. Now if they just made an indestructable clutch.......:lol:

They do dude, SPEC Stage3XL (full ceramic friction material). This clutch ROCKS.

MJ

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by slythetove
That's great news MJ. I know you have been chasing this for a while now. Thanks for sharing the resolution with us as well. :beer:

Thanks man! I'm really happy about this. The hesitation was PISSING ME OFF. This really is a good lesson for us:

"Inspection and maintenance of a HIGH performance car that sees track duty is IMPERATIVE and should be performed on a regular basis if one hopes to keep the car together. I would equate this to doing a pre and post flight of an aircraft."

MJ

SoCalBlk03

THE Clutch Killer!!
Established Member
I would equate this to doing a pre and post flight of an aircraft.

With 14 yrs in aircrft maintenance I can definitely relate. I'm under the car before and after every trip to the track or when things "feel" odd. I've prided myself in my ability to fix my own cars although certain service depts. feel I'm overly anal when it comes to warranty work. Besides my wife said I can't buy any more new cars :lol:

Jerryk

Halfshaft abuser
Established Member
Wow, Mark (MJChip) does it again! Dude you have been such a huge help to so many, just wanted to say thanks! I need to find time this w/e to pull my fuel rails just to see if Ford left me any "presents" in my fuel line when they built the car. Sounds like even those who have never opened their fuel rails (install of FP gauge) are suspect. I did go to the track and had extremely consistent MPH in the 4 runs so I don't suspect anything (92.440, 92.890, 93.060, 92.440!). but I did have a dyno that was way down on power 1 time so who knows.. just want to rule this out. BTW, going to start another thread on optimum shift RPM..

Jerry

mjchip

Just Some Guy
Established Member
Originally posted by Jerryk
Wow, Mark (MJChip) does it again! Dude you have been such a huge help to so many, just wanted to say thanks! Jerry

No problem, I too have received a bunch of help from these forums so I'm just doing my best to pay back a little.

MJ

Users who are viewing this thread