TH400 Swap parts list and questions.

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
Stock 6r80 needs programming, different wiring, is expensive to buy and is expensive to upgrade. Yes it'll go 8s a handful of times but then it starts slipping and needs a rebuild. My thread asked specific questions about a th400, has nothing to do with the 6r80. So if you want to try to tell me why I should use the 6r80 then find another thread. Thanks...

Calm down butthurt bill. It was just a question.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
JW for the TH400, bellhousing, and 8 bolt flexplate. That is the majority of the ones we use without any issues.

With converters, its such a touchy subject and a lot of different routes you can go. Precision, Pro Torque, ect...

On top of this, TCI Outlaw shifter, Trans cooler, Trans brake, Deep pan, custom driveshaft, loop, and trans mount are some of the basics of what you will need.

Best of luck OP with this!!

90coupe5oh

Established Member
Have you thought about a 4L80E manual valve body? It's basically a Turbo 400 with OD, that's what I'm gonna be doing soon.

CameronVic

Established Member
PM sent OP

2. J.W. has the bell you're looking for that bolt's to the factory case. Note: When doing this swap it is preferred that you use the 8 bolt factory 400 case instead of the 6 bolt unit.
TH400s are either 7 or 8 bolt cases. You just have to drill the 7th hole if it's a 6 bolt pump. People have gone 4s in the 8th with 7 bolt cases.

IGO 202

Established Member
I run a TCI Ultimate StreetFighter converter in my 400 behind a BBC. It's held up well and MSRP is only around $750.
Dan

DTL

Established Member
Some good info in here! I've got a th400 with a JW bell on it, that I've been considering putting in my car. Only thing I'm not sure about is how to make the speedometer work (mt82 car). If anybody comes up with a solution, post it up! For now, I'm still running the stock mt82 and stock clutch, until it barfs its gutts out.

13DIB5.0

Established Member
amybody have anymore experience with the th400? rebuilding my mt82 once more and if it breaks again, looking at the th400 as a cheaper solution.

konabluekiller

Established Member
Decided to do a 4l80e with the TCI EZ\TCU computer. Also the tci outlaw shifter. Guessing the JW bellhousing will work with the 4l80e just like with the th400 since it's basically the same?

90coupe5oh

Established Member
Decided to do a 4l80e with the TCI EZ\TCU computer. Also the tci outlaw shifter. Guessing the JW bellhousing will work with the 4l80e just like with the th400 since it's basically the same?

I'm doing the exact same setup but with a transbrake. You need to cut the bellhousing off the 4l80e and have the pump machined for a adapter. You'll have about $1300 in the bellhousing, adapter, machining the pump, and flex plate.

Screamin363

Established Member
Where exactly are you guys referencing the 8 bolt pattern th400 from. Is it 8 bolts on the pan or 8 bolts on the pump? Don't want to waste money on the wrong one

CameronVic

Established Member
Where exactly are you guys referencing the 8 bolt pattern th400 from. Is it 8 bolts on the pan or 8 bolts on the pump? Don't want to waste money on the wrong one
Yea, like KenneB said, it's on the pump. All cases are either 6 or 8 bolts pumps, but behind the 6 bolt pumps, theres a 7th unused bolt boss. You can drill the pump and put the 7th in if you're worried about not enough bolts holding the bellhousing. People have gone 8s and make 1000+ whp on 6 bolts.

DoomsDay

Slayer of Gods...
Established Member
Im currently doing this swap now, have the JW bell, Flex and adapter. Im modifying the stock trans mount points and moving them rearward to work. My issue is the "little stuff" like is there a particular dipstick that works with this conversion? And The info on the GM speed sensor was helpful, but what about the reverse lock out and reverse lights?

terminal5

Established Member
Reverse lock-out will be incorporated into whichever aftermarket shifter you use. Same for a micro-switch to trigger the reverse lights.

I must have missed it, is there a confirmed way to convert the required speedo signal? Where's the how-to? That's the biggest hold-back from making this swap for me.

J_verrett5oh

Established Member
Okay guys I'm doing a th400 swap in my car (originally a m6)
What's some tips you have for me on what stuff and where to buy it and installation
So far I've learned jw bell housing Flexplate and spacer is needed
I will go to evolution performance for Trans mount and use stock crossmember
Either going to go with the fti or bte th400 depending on which one has the best price on tranny and converter that'll fit my needs.
Guess I'll still need a drive shaft and that should be it besides little stuff like dip stick cooler and lines but that's nothing

Users who are viewing this thread