TH400 Swap parts list and questions.

konabluekiller

Established Member
Got a t56 magnum xl in the boss right now with a D1sc and supporting mods. Looking to go auto with a built th400. Reverse manual valve body, trans brake, the whole 9 yards. Already have a guy that can build the th400. Doing the tci outlaw shifter and from what I've seen it fits pretty nicely in the stock manual shifter hole in the console. Also saw where the stock mt82 crossmember can be flipped around with a JPC mount and fits perfectly.

With that cleared up... I still need to figure out where to get a bell housing, flex plate, and how to wire the speed sensor so the speedometer will work... suggestions? Who's done the install? Can I use the bell housing adapter from the t56 swap? What converter are yall using? I'd like a lock up converter if possible. A gear vendors overdrive will be going in later down the road....

1NA RUN

Established Member
I can't help answer your questions, but if you decide to sell the magnum, I can take it off your hands at a fair price. Good luck.

Ignotbullet

Established Member
I am doing the same swap. Rossler transmission can set you up with the bell housing, flex plate and crank spacer. Just give them a call

Bud

Established Member
The aftermarket bellhousings for the 4.6 fit the 5.0 the same. I'm running JW's flexplate and crank adapter. JW and/or Reid probably have bells to work with the 400. Slap it in, space the converter correctly, get a driveshaft built, a dipstick, and wire your clutch switch into your neutral safety switch and you should be good to go. These guys should be able to hook you up with something to convert the speedo signal: Speedometer Gear, Speedometer Gears, Ford, GM, Dodge 700R4

Your tuner might have to do some magic, then you are good. People seem to like PTC for converters, JPC could probably give better info on that.

konabluekiller

Established Member
The aftermarket bellhousings for the 4.6 fit the 5.0 the same. I'm running JW's flexplate and crank adapter. JW and/or Reid probably have bells to work with the 400. Slap it in, space the converter correctly, get a driveshaft built, a dipstick, and wire your clutch switch into your neutral safety switch and you should be good to go. These guys should be able to hook you up with something to convert the speedo signal: Speedometer Gear, Speedometer Gears, Ford, GM, Dodge 700R4

Your tuner might have to do some magic, then you are good. People seem to like PTC for converters, JPC could probably give better info on that.

Awesome information. Thanks for the help!

Bud

Established Member
Forgot to add, need a cooler and lines as well. Can mount pretty much anywhere but JPC makes a convenient mount that goes under the spare tire well if you aren't running your evap canister back there anymore.

konabluekiller

Established Member
Forgot to add, need a cooler and lines as well. Can mount pretty much anywhere but JPC makes a convenient mount that goes under the spare tire well if you aren't running your evap canister back there anymore.

I'll probably run some lines up front and mount it up there somewhere

D1coyote

Established Member
JW flexplate and crank adapter. JW or Reid bellhousing. I would recommend PTC converter but I run a non lock-up spragless converter. I went with a full manual 4L80 and my speedo, tach, fuel gauge, etc. all work fine. I bought a GM speed sensor for the 4L80, plugged it into trans and wired the speed sensor's pigtail into my wiring harness. My car still cranks like factory also, meaning I turn the key partially and the computer takes over. That took some time to figure out but it should be a little easier since your car was a manual trans originally.

5.0_KenneB

Established Member
JW flexplate and crank adapter. JW or Reid bellhousing. I would recommend PTC converter but I run a non lock-up spragless converter. I went with a full manual 4L80 and my speedo, tach, fuel gauge, etc. all work fine. I bought a GM speed sensor for the 4L80, plugged it into trans and wired the speed sensor's pigtail into my wiring harness. My car still cranks like factory also, meaning I turn the key partially and the computer takes over. That took some time to figure out but it should be a little easier since your car was a manual trans originally.
You need to do a write up on the speedo cause i still dont have mine working and dont know what all I need lol or just send me PM with more in depth directions.
Yeah I also got a billet PTC converter with a 3200 stall and its great!!! just call Tim at PTC and tell him what kind of build you have and he will take care of you.

D1coyote

Established Member
You need to do a write up on the speedo cause i still dont have mine working and dont know what all I need lol or just send me PM with more in depth directions.
Yeah I also got a billet PTC converter with a 3200 stall and its great!!! just call Tim at PTC and tell him what kind of build you have and he will take care of you.[/QUOTE

Really no need for a write up. Either your trans has a plug for a GM speed sensor or not. The speed sensor is available at dealers or parts stores, just buy one for whatever year core trans you have. The sensor pig tail has two wires, connect one to a ground and the other to the proper wire in your trans harness. I can get back to you on what wire it is in the 6R80 harness but I don't remember off the top of my head. I am not sure which wire to try on a manual trans harness.
If your trans requires a mechanical speed sensor instead of electronic I would try and use a signal from the ABS. However, this will not work if your car came with a 6R80 - we tried.

Justin81

Established Member
I work for one of the transmission company's and I do this swap a lot. I also have one in my '04 GT. Here's a few things that may help.

1. Reid Racing only makes bell housings with integrated flanges to work with there PG or 400 aftermarket case.

2. J.W. has the bell you're looking for that bolt's to the factory case. Note: When doing this swap it is preferred that you use the 8 bolt factory 400 case instead of the 6 bolt unit.

3. Performance Automatic also has a bell housing to suit your needs. However, it doesn't bolt directly to the case like a J.W. piece. The P.A. bell uses a "pro fit ring" design which is an aluminum billet ring that bolts to the transmission pump. Than the bellhousing will bolt to the ring. This design is extremely difficult to install and inevitably will leak like crazy. We did a bunch of them for evolution and they were a PIA. We eventually designed a special tool that helps to align the Pro Fit ring better.

4. Save yourself the aggravation and use a J.W flexplate. It will be an 8 bolt plate that bolts straight to the motor. Other forms of plates will have a cranks adaptor that bolts to the motor and a plate that bolts to that. They're a total headache! Converter spacing is always an issue with that.

5. You'll be looking for a standard GM converter. There are 1000 company's that can help you with this. 5 different forums will net you the phone numbers of 20 different "Call my guy" responses. My advice is to use some type of 9 inch converter or cross over 245mm. The Coyote motor will be looking for a fast rate of stall speed but it's going to need to lock up at the higher RPM and hold the power. You should spend about $750-1000 on the converter depending on who you go through.

6. There's a few things you should know about the trans too but you said you have a guy to build that so I'll save the text.

Side note. I have 2 shorty Powerglides here with Coyote bells waiting to ship out for a guy. He's putting them into S/C dragsters. They both have roots blown Ford Racing, Coyote motors in them. Pretty cool stuff for sure.

5.0_KenneB

Established Member
Really no need for a write up. Either your trans has a plug for a GM speed sensor or not. The speed sensor is available at dealers or parts stores, just buy one for whatever year core trans you have. The sensor pig tail has two wires, connect one to a ground and the other to the proper wire in your trans harness. I can get back to you on what wire it is in the 6R80 harness but I don't remember off the top of my head. I am not sure which wire to try on a manual trans harness.
If your trans requires a mechanical speed sensor instead of electronic I would try and use a signal from the ABS. However, this will not work if your car came with a 6R80 - we tried.[/QUOTE]

I dont know if it will be the same wire, because my car started as a manual car.... so you dont need to do more work than you have to lol unless you want to for others looking at this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread