Texas- smaller cities ???

nxhappy

Established Member
Some of you may know....I am planning in 2020 sometime to leave this shit state CA for a new business station. I am keeping an open mind to several states but not all cities are "free" for me to take. As far as TX, DFW and IAH are out of the picture. What smaller cities would you recommend? Things I enjoy: cars, dirt bikes, boating, guns, low taxes LOL, and not a shit load of bumper to bumper traffic.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
When I lived near Asstin, Georgetown was nice. Outside crappy Travis county but has has a big lake nearby. Do not know if it is still that way 15 years later.

noco5.0

Established Member
I'm originally from Texas but have lived in Colorado for a long time. We go back a couple of times a year to visit family. I'm from the middle of the state which is pretty desolate. My wife's family is from east Texas which is really nice in my opinion. My favorite small city that I've been to is Tyler. A little over 100k and has pretty much everything you would want/need.

gfcobra04

Established Member
Premium Member
Some of you may know....I am planning in 2020 sometime to leave this shit state CA for a new business station. I am keeping an open mind to several states but not all cities are "free" for me to take. As far as TX, DFW and IAH are out of the picture. What smaller cities would you recommend? Things I enjoy: cars, dirt bikes, boating, guns, low taxes LOL, and not a shit load of bumper to bumper traffic.
Do you want neighbors or some open land?
North of Houston area magnolia, Conroe and College station all nice areas. Central Texas is great east of austin - marble falls, Johnson city or a little south San Marcos.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Do you want neighbors or some open land?
North of Houston area magnolia, Conroe and College station all nice areas. Central Texas is great east of austin - marble falls, Johnson city or a little south San Marcos.
I live in the woodlands/magnolia area and this place is getting overcrowded. He would need to be a little further out I think.

gfcobra04

Established Member
Premium Member
We just purchase a place east of Conroe. Just under 2 acres big garage 1100sf and a little house. Quiet neighborhood 15 minutes to Conroe and all the shopping I need.
What is he wanting place to retire?
Or just get out of the hustle and bustle of the city and still get up and go to work? You do the latter and you still May end up with bumper to bumper traffic.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
We just purchase a place east of Conroe. Just under 2 acres big garage 1100sf and a little house. Quiet neighborhood 15 minutes to Conroe and all the shopping I need.
Or just get out of the hustle and bustle of the city and still get up and go to work? You do the latter and you still May end up with bumper to bumper traffic.
We’re neighbors.
It sounds to me he is looking for someplace to dial things back a bit and enjoy some of the country life. Perhaps out your way, or farther north would be good.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I'm originally from Texas but have lived in Colorado for a long time. We go back a couple of times a year to visit family. I'm from the middle of the state which is pretty desolate. My wife's family is from east Texas which is really nice in my opinion. My favorite small city that I've been to is Tyler. A little over 100k and has pretty much everything you would want/need.

Actually looking at Tyler for a get out of MN home.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member

Where you at? That sounds like the Willis area.

Honestly Huntsville is blowing up right now. It has all he could need and is still not bumper to bumper. Im in the conroe/Woodlands are and its way overpopulated like TK said. I have family in Huntsville and it’s not anything to go see them and Ive lived in Huntsville for 12+ years and it wasn't bad at all. The only thing is the area has most of our prisons in there

If you want real small town/city keep going north of Houston to Madison County. That is my hometown are and they have land for cheap and they move at a much slower pace down there.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Can the property tax of $300 be right? Must be a misprint. Anyone from down that way?

Homes.com

Being there aint crap out that way and its deep East Texas I wouldn’t be surprised at all. Where Im from they pay less than a grand for property taxes regularly

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Being there ain't crap out that way and its deep East Texas I wouldn’t be surprised at all. Where I'm from they pay less than a grand for property taxes regularly

Crazy, just under $4,000 here.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
Crazy, just under $4,000 here.

Im looking to move back towards that area and most the home we looked at were in a similar price and size and were still about 1000-1200 a year I believe. Its not much out there but woods and old MAGA people. They have a University of Texas there and that’s about it that I remember.

We definitely want you red support people down here to keep this place like it should be.

Edit: I just looked and yeah with the median income of less than 50k then thats about right.

DiB14-SAFD

Established Member
Probably need to be a bit more specific to get a better idea of what you are looking for. Do you need to be near a big city for work? What is your definition of small town? What everyday amenities do you require? Personally I love the Texas hill country. I grew up in Blanco which had a tick over 2500 people at the time and it was great. Most small towns in the hill country are no more than about an hour from either Austin or San Antonio. Canyon Lake area is very nice and you can live within a short drive from the lake for a very reasonable amount.

gfcobra04

Established Member
Premium Member
Where you at? That sounds like the Willis area.

Honestly Huntsville is blowing up right now. It has all he could need and is still not bumper to bumper. Im in the conroe/Woodlands are and its way overpopulated like TK said. I have family in Huntsville and it’s not anything to go see them and Ive lived in Huntsville for 12+ years and it wasn't bad at all. The only thing is the area has most of our prisons in there

If you want real small town/city keep going north of Houston to Madison County. That is my hometown are and they have land for cheap and they move at a much slower pace down there.
Actually northeast of Cut & Shoot in the national forest. You’re correct about the place blowing up. People are wanting good money for houses that need quite a bit of work. We got lucky on this house it came on the market right after another place felled inspection.

Users who are viewing this thread