Test drove a GT Premium manual today

chrisheltra

Established Member
I test drove a manual premium gt today and I must say Im really impressed. Ford has come along way since Ive had my 03 gt. It doesn't quite compare to the L in sheer power and acceleration but I think it will be perfect for a performance car that will pull DD duty. It handles very well and the steering feels very light and nimble. I love the trans but getting it into reverse is a little weird. Also according to the invoice the car should get pretty good gas mileage compared to the L.

csledd

DSG!!
Established Member
Not sure what your gas mileage is.. but mine in my 03 gt is about 16-19 if im lucky. People who have already got their 11 GT's have reported 21-23 and that's getting on it a little bit through highway and city. So not too bad.

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
I test drove a manual premium gt today and I must say Im really impressed. Ford has come along way since Ive had my 03 gt. It doesn't quite compare to the L in sheer power and acceleration but I think it will be perfect for a performance car that will pull DD duty. It handles very well and the steering feels very light and nimble. I love the trans but getting it into reverse is a little weird. Also according to the invoice the car should get pretty good gas mileage compared to the L.

The 11 GT with the 5.0 has grabbed my interest and I'm coming from a Lightning, did you drive the 5.0? How would you rate the seat of the pants feel in power compared to the Lightning? How is overall comfort? I always felt trucks are much more comfortable with their taller seats than cars with their shorter seat height. I've actually gotten leg cramps before when riding passenger in a car. I've had three Gen 2 Lightnings and I'm just itching for something new, bigtime! Still love the L, but sometimes you just need to switch it up... I'm really on the hunt for a GT500....but the new 5.0 seems interesting.

chrisheltra

Established Member
The 11 GT with the 5.0 has grabbed my interest and I'm coming from a Lightning, did you drive the 5.0? How would you rate the seat of the pants feel in power compared to the Lightning? How is overall comfort? I always felt trucks are much more comfortable with their taller seats than cars with their shorter seat height. I've actually gotten leg cramps before when riding passenger in a car. I've had three Gen 2 Lightnings and I'm just itching for something new, bigtime! Still love the L, but sometimes you just need to switch it up... I'm really on the hunt for a GT500....but the new 5.0 seems interesting.

It has also grabbed my interest. It will be bought primarily to pull DD duties and keep the miles off of my built whippled L. It was a 5.0 that I drove and the power and performance where impressive for what the car is intended for. I naturally compared it to my L but that isn't fair to do because it isn't even close in acceleration and power. The car wasn't designed to perform like the L but does handle better and feels a lot more stable. Thats partly due to the fact that I have modified the suspension on the L specifically for drag racing. The seats to me were comfortable and I didn't notice anything uncomfortable about them. I'm also only 5'11" so things aren't that bad for me. I'm unsure of how tall you are or how old you are. Those factors could play a major role in how comfortable you will be in this car. The best advice I could give you is to go test drive it for yourself and see what you think about it.

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
It has also grabbed my interest. It will be bought primarily to pull DD duties and keep the miles off of my built whippled L. It was a 5.0 that I drove and the power and performance where impressive for what the car is intended for. I naturally compared it to my L but that isn't fair to do because it isn't even close in acceleration and power. The car wasn't designed to perform like the L but does handle better and feels a lot more stable. Thats partly due to the fact that I have modified the suspension on the L specifically for drag racing. The seats to me were comfortable and I didn't notice anything uncomfortable about them. I'm also only 5'11" so things aren't that bad for me. I'm unsure of how tall you are or how old you are. Those factors could play a major role in how comfortable you will be in this car. The best advice I could give you is to go test drive it for yourself and see what you think about it.

I'm 5'9", early 30's. ;-) So your L is modded.... I was hoping for a comparison to a stock L. I assumed it would totally smoke a stock L with ease... I know one thing, the L isn't going anywhere if I get a new car as a truck is always needed to carry something whether it be a new washer/dryer, dirtbike, or home improvement supplies from Home Depot. I'll never be without a truck, heh.

Last edited:

chrisheltra

Established Member
I'm 5'9", early 30's. ;-) So your L is modded.... I was hoping for a comparison to a stock L. I assumed it would totally smoke a stock L with ease... I know one thing, the L isn't going anywhere if I get a new car as a truck is always needed to carry something whether it be a new washer/dryer, dirtbike, or home improvement supplies from Home Depot. I'll never be without a truck, heh.

Yeah my L is pretty heavily modded so it would be hard for me to compare the car to a stock L since I havent been in one in over 6 years. lol

SnakeBite4487

Been Bite Lately?
Established Member
I have a 03 cobra and im curious to drive one to see the comparison between the two. they just came out here in TX, i saw the first one this morning as a matter of fact, heading to the dealership after work! :) Any complaints with the 5.0 when you drove it? Hows the new 6speed feel? I love the T56. Reverse is a little odd in most 6speeds if your not used to it. Was reverse up and to the right?

chrisheltra

Established Member
I have a 03 cobra and im curious to drive one to see the comparison between the two. they just came out here in TX, i saw the first one this morning as a matter of fact, heading to the dealership after work! :) Any complaints with the 5.0 when you drove it? Hows the new 6speed feel? I love the T56. Reverse is a little odd in most 6speeds if your not used to it. Was reverse up and to the right?

I liked the way it drove and had no complaints with it. Granted I only spent about 15 minutes driving it after not driving a manual or mustang in 7 years. The trans was a little odd getting into reverse. You had to physically push downwards on the knob and IIRC pull the shifter towards you.

SnakeBite4487

Been Bite Lately?
Established Member
ok, cool. Im debating on test driving one but im afraid i will come back with it! lol Reverse is down? Sorry, i dont know what IIRC is. I need a nice DD to keep miles off of my Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread