Tesla Owner Stuck, can’t charge in the cold

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
i was lucky enough to change my daughters car batter in -36 windchill a few days back. she has a 2015 gla 45 amg benz. original battery...so not upset with that.

my body has still not recovered. i had to come in every few minutes to warm up and avoid frost bite. it felt like i was working on apollo 13...trying to get as much as i could done each time in 2-3 minutes. brutal.
Put a new battery in my snowmobile when it was -5f ambient out...inside my 60F heated garage lol

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
Electric powered vehicles don't do well in the cold weather. The range is cut to less than 50% when they use the heater which is also electric. I live in Utah where the libs love their Teslas but you don't see them driving far like in summer. When batteries are cold they loose a lot of their power.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
Annoying no doubt. I’ve yet to use anything to charge my car accept my home charger. I’ve logged over 7k miles and only been under 10% once. Certain things I hate about the plaid. But the acceleration and ease of such, is simply unmatched at this time. That fact is undeniable. I’m actually more comfortable with getting a new ice car that doesn’t have the most bonkers acceleration just to enjoy the experience of a gas powered car. Maybe an r8 or lambo. Either way, it’s nice here in Green Bay to get my car up to 70 degrees inside simply through my phone app.

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Either way, it’s nice here in Green Bay to get my car up to 70 degrees inside simply through my phone app.

I enjoy that feature myself.

Image1672479800.071107.jpg

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Funny how 1 car makes a story and can be blown up by the media. While 497,382 ICE vehicles wouldn't run do the cold weather as well, but it's not as fun to talk about. LMAO

The old "If 1 did it, they all must do it" mentality is hilarious to me.

Carry on.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Im betting if u looked at cars in general that didnt start that day at those temps nearly ALL would be ICE vehicles not EV. Jus sayn.....

Watching one video is hardly alarm for an EV cars. Bad battery in a car? Cant be..... smh.

And who knows hes probably just some idiot who lets his battery fall below 20% before charging cause that will lead to a lower battery life so who knows.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Im betting if u looked at cars in general that didnt start that day at those temps nearly ALL would be ICE vehicles not EV. Jus sayn.....

Watching one video is hardly alarm for an EV cars. Bad battery in a car? Cant be..... smh.

And who knows hes probably just some idiot who lets his battery fall below 20% before charging cause that will lead to a lower battery life so who knows.
I see ICE cars on the side of the road every day for various reasons. Saw 2 just yesterday out of gas. There are stupid owners of everything. J/S

dan1982

Established Member

my f150 ALWAYS starts hot or cold. lol.
320522993_874002420585033_845091054843659393_n.jpg

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I see ICE cars on the side of the road every day for various reasons. Saw 2 just yesterday out of gas. There are stupid owners of everything. J/S

The tesla is an 80k luxury car that just happens to be electric. When is the last time you saw a new E series on the side of the road?

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member

Running out of gas is on the owner.

Nobody runs out of gas because they let their tank get to 18%

The car wouldn’t ALLOW HIM to charge.

Now if the car ran out of gas at the gas station and wouldn’t allow him to fill it .. that would correlate

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member

Now if the car ran out of gas at the gas station and wouldn’t allow him to fill it .. that would correlate
For some reason this reminded me of a buddy in hs that had a pos nova with a big block in it. Pulls up at the gas station to get some tranny fluid because he is low. Shit is pouring out as he pours it in. Lmfao.

I guess I was picturing an ice car with a hole in the tank….

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member

The battery in any of my cars doesn’t cost $20,000.00 if it shits the bed.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
The battery in any of my cars doesn’t cost $20,000.00 if it shits the bed.
Thats because u put GAS in it and it has an ICE motor smfh.

And how many Tesla batteries have actually shit the bed? They average 300-500k miles. U get 500k miles out of ur car? I doubt it! Ppl average about 350 miles per week. So a Telsa battery will last about 30 years on average at that rate lmao.......

So lets not buy a Tesla cause in 30 years my battery might go bad..... got it!

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member

And how many Tesla batteries have actually shit the bed? They average 300-500k miles. U get 500k miles out of ur car? I doubt it! Ppl average about 350 miles per week. So a Telsa battery will last about 30 years on average at that rate lmao.......

BS, for many many reasons. There simply aren't enough old EV's out there to get a feel for what the battery failure rate and range degradation will be. With the amount of electronics in them, owning a ten year old one is going to be expensive. Repair shops that can work on them will be busy busy busy. I do see shops that can drop the battery and replace all the bad cells becoming HUGE. There is simply no way people will be able to afford replacing the entire battery. Northern tier state EV life will be a significantly different animal than anyplace warm all year.

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member

Lmao. How do you know they average 300-500k at scale?

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator

Your logic is flawed. You make it like 1 car out of millions has never had an issue. Oh that's right, ICE cars NEVER have a single issue. EVER. The are immune from breaking and their batteries never go dead and every piece on the car works forever. Right? That's what you are saying.

It's amazing how one people think, (or don't).....

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Your logic is flawed. You make it like 1 car out of millions has never had an issue. Oh that's right, ICE cars NEVER have a single issue. EVER. The are immune from breaking and their batteries never go dead and every piece on the car works forever. Right? That's what you are saying.

It's amazing how one people think, (or don't).....

To be fair, EV's will have a learning curve for the noobs. To also be fair, people don't worry about the ICE they parked in their garage burning their house down.

If EV's weren't being mandated, the pushback wouldn't be a thing.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
To be fair, EV's will have a learning curve for the noobs. To also be fair, people don't worry about the ICE they parked in their garage burning their house down.

If EV's weren't being mandated, the pushback wouldn't be a thing.
I agree that they shouldn't be mandated. 100% I do not argue that at all!

Parked in a garage? LMAO You're killing me with your miniscule perception.

Because an ICE car has NEVER caught fire? LMAO. Oh my, I can't breathe I'm laughing so hard!!!! Oh wait I forgot, Gasoline isn't at all flammable....

With your logic, all gun owners should not keep them in a house because one "Might" go off. LOL

If an ICE car burns down a house, it's not going to make any news because it doesn't push an agenda! Period!

I like to look at both sides of everything. It's how you learn.

Being biased is what most feel comfortable with. I get it.

Users who are viewing this thread