Tesla Model "S" Plaid (Laguna Seca) 1:30.3

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
I’ve yet to find someone not get super excited/laugh uncontrollably after feeling the sheer acceleration of my P85D. Yes, the V8 sound is obviously missing. Replaced with a turbine engine type sound, so not completely silent. I’m not overly excited about electric vehicles, but I drive 180 miles round trip 14 days out of the month, and charge for free at work. It made sense for what I need, and I enjoy driving it a lot. I also still have the Lightning, so there’s that..

blk02edge

Established Member
I’ve yet to find someone not get super excited/laugh uncontrollably after feeling the sheer acceleration of my P85D. Yes, the V8 sound is obviously missing. Replaced with a turbine engine type sound, so not completely silent. I’m not overly excited about electric vehicles, but I drive 180 miles round trip 14 days out of the month, and charge for free at work. It made sense for what I need, and I enjoy driving it a lot. I also still have the Lightning, so there’s that..
I have no issue with them as DD's. I would even rock an EV truck. My only opinion is the replacement in racing and your typical car guy hot rods.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

They absolutely have their place. Guy at my work has a new Model Y Performance.. nice car. He gets about 250 miles to a charge and lives 40 miles away. We have several free charging stations at work and he plugs in everyday when he gets to work.

Long story short, he never charges at home so his commute and MOST of his time putting miles on that car is effectively free, forever.

Pretty cool in that regard.

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
Exactly. I have about the same range, but as someone said earlier, it’s not realistic when traveling 80+ mph. I tend to get 60% of that range or so in the colder months. Gas prices going up only makes it a better choice for me, as does the autopilot on my long commute.
They absolutely have their place. Guy at my work has a new Model Y Performance.. nice car. He gets about 250 miles to a charge and lives 40 miles away. We have several free charging stations at work and he plugs in everyday when he gets to work.

Long story short, he never charges at home so his commute and MOST of his time putting miles on that car is effectively free, forever.

Pretty cool in that regard.

My94GT

Established Member
Exactly. I have about the same range, but as someone said earlier, it’s not realistic when traveling 80+ mph. I tend to get 60% of that range or so in the colder months. Gas prices going up only makes it a better choice for me, as does the autopilot on my long commute.

this is exactly what has my attention. 100 mile round trip commute every day during the week and currently it’s costing me at least 400 a month to fuel my ram to do that as fuel prices have slowly gone up.

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
LOL, I still watch F1 and they sound like broken Hondas or a can of bees, or something terrible.

FWIW, watching IMSA type stuff on TV gets you no noise. All those awesome V8 Ferraris and Vettes and you don't get to hear much of it.
Nascar is just one big noise. Tough call.
When it comes to noise, the one thing I'll never accept a replacement for is Top Fuel. That's real deal manly man noise right there.
Yeah Top Fuel is just a whole other level. They're like literal rockets taking off while staying on ground. Also I personally do not see electric powered vehicles ever catching up to Top Fuel drag cars in performance in our lifetime. Until an electric only space shuttle is a thing, I don't see it.

IMO combustion will always be King. Electric seems to have this nice middle ground, particularly for road cars/trains, etc. But when it comes to all out, give it everything you've possibly got. It's combustion.

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
this is exactly what has my attention. 100 mile round trip commute every day during the week and currently it’s costing me at least 400 a month to fuel my ram to do that as fuel prices have slowly gone up.
But do you have to daily a Ram? And is the price difference of a new, similarly or better capable electric "truck" going to make up the fuel difference enough? For instance, a $30k Ram vs a $60k+ new electric truck... how many years will it take to overcome that price disparity with just fuel in mind, not discounting higher electric bills?

My94GT

Established Member
But do you have to daily a Ram? And is the price difference of a new, similarly or better capable electric "truck" going to make up the fuel difference enough? For instance, a $30k Ram vs a $60k+ new electric truck... how many years will it take to overcome that price disparity with just fuel in mind, not discounting higher electric bills?

actually that’s another option I’m very much considering which is why I haven’t done anything yet. If I get an electric car to commute I would likely still want to keep my truck for weekend use and times of snow. Currently the cost of an additional car isn’t a break even just off fuel alone so I’d have to dump the truck to justify it but then it would be a savings. I can charge at work so it’s a moot point there but we’re land shopping now to build a new home and will be going solar as at some point an electric commuter will happen.

no I don’t have to daily a ram but it’s always seemed wasteful for me to have multiple cars just for myself and I seem to use my truck a lot between work and home and I really just like driving trucks. I may sit tight and see what’s coming down the pipeline for trucks in the next year or two and go from there.

Users who are viewing this thread