Terrible noise coming from trans area

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
Well, my personal best pass was a short lived celebration. I stabbed the throttle on the freeway to get around some slower traffic, and the car felt great as usual. But as I'm slowing up the exit ramp, I hear a a terrible tapping sound coming from the transmission area. At first I thought it was my driveshaft touching something. I checked, everything looked fine. I only hear it in drive while there is load on the car. It ides fine, and it doesn't make any noise in reverse. I get to my buddies house and it just gets worse with time. I nurse the car home and the whole way it just has a terrible intermittent tapping noise. It almost sounds like a couple nuts and bolts bouncing around the flywheel. Motor felt fine, trans shifted just fine...but it is a god awful noise coming from that general area. Of course this had to happen at midnight...unreal
Anybody know exactly what I'm talking about?? I'm going to get under it tomorrow, just hoping maybe one of you guys knows exactly what broke. It's a 6r80 car putting down over 700hp.

Last edited:

hitmix300

Established Member
i would pop open the inspection plate and see if anything is laying around in the bellhousing hopefully its nothing expensive!!!!

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
Not sure if it stays in overdrive. The tap was relative to speed at first. When moving forward, it would tap very slowly and then increase the faster I went. I had to drive it home, and it most definitely got worse the longer I drove the car. But....the transmission still shifted and felt just fine.

Vert

Established Member
I bet its the cv joint in the DS. Happened to member over at the mustang source.

bunits19714

Established Member
Except you have a $700+ broken driveshaft. Are they going to send you the parts to fix or do you have to ship it back east for them to send it all the way back to CA.?
Confirmed. Broke the cv joint. I threw the stocker back in, all is well

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
Well, I bought it used from a member. So I am pretty much SOL. They said if I sent it in they'd fix it, but I didn't bother getting a price quote.
I'm not going to go with DSS next time around. I shouldn't have to worry about breaking a driveshaft at 700hp

Users who are viewing this thread