Terminator vs. Everything else

xxForgedxx

Established Member
I drool over Terminators, and I am looking for a car over the next year or so. I am an enthusiast, I appreciate all cars for what they do well and keep in mind what I don't like for purchase ref. I am wondering if this car is going to be enough for me. I like that it is reliable, and that you can make tons of power from it but the handling, not so much so is that enough?

I am looking for opinions from people that have driven or owned before or after a Terminator what their take is on this. I've seen anything from people on M3 forums saying they want to ditch there M3 for a ZO6 or Cobra to people wanting to sell there Cobras for EVOs. Anyone on here that can offer some insight? I am interested in the following:

C5 ZO6 or C5 FRC
EVO VIII
EVO MR
EVO X
STi (used 2008)
s2000 (probably boosted)

I have driven GTO's and F bodies and I appreciate the power but the F body is too long for me and the GTO is too heavy for me.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
The 03/04 cobras definitely feel like a heavy car. I went from a coupe V6 to a convertible 03 cobra and you could definitely tell a difference. It does feel more planted to the road however.

As far as vettes...that's your call. Not a car for me personally.

BlackBeauty44

Snake bitten
Established Member
The 2003 2004 Cobras are the way to go my friend. These cars dyno bone stock around 360 - 380whp. This is my second cobra and I really havent had any problems so far. I waited since 2003 and i finally got my hands on one it Oct. I just can't stop driving my cobra and that supercharger whine is addicting. If you are a true enthusiast you will take the plung.

TermySnake

Established Member
Don't buy imports... they're slow & expensive to mod.

evo is already modded from the factory with a big a$$ turbo that flows 20+ psi into the engine, too much IMO, JMO don't flame me

a C5 Z06 is a great car if u can afford it, or buy a 98-02 WS6.

Last edited:

Venomm

Established Member
i have a 436ci stroker c5 vette over 600Hp 1/4 mile in high 10's low 11's, im sellin it to buy a terminator the car has TO MUCH POWER and i come from turbo vipers and s/c bmw m3.. so it is possible to have to much power... 95mph pop it in 3ed gear and smoke the entire area with a 100ft black mark... but im sellin to buy a cobra with a kb 2.8 and 595rwhp... so well see how they compare my payments will almost go in half haha

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
i went from a truck to a 99 cobra and then realized what i was missing with the terminators..finally picked one up this last August and that car puts a smile on my face every time i drive it. It is a league above all the other mustangs (at least up to 04) in the sense it has a refined feel to it(seats, transmission, rear end, gearing, steering wheel, suspension), ride is smoother, the interior is clearly badass (didnt know about the power bolsters in the seat till i got it), and you can roll up to a fancy event in this car and it will turn just as many heads as any BMW or Mercedez. As the added bonus, that supercharger whine mixed with the looks attracts looks from everyone. I have people actually tell me on the road probably once a week how badass this car is. It hauls ass immediately after hitting the gas, no waiting for torque or power, its decent mileage and is just a fun fun car to drive!

I think the real factor will be how it strikes you. Go drive one.. feel it for yourself and make your own opinion, but i think i speak for most of us when i say I am in love with every aspect of this car!

xxForgedxx

Established Member
Don't buy imports... they're slow & expensive to mod.

evo is already modded from the factory with a big a$$ turbo that flows 20+ psi into the engine, too much IMO, JMO don't flame me

The EVO VIII stock turbo (03-04) is only a 16g and stock boost is 19psi. Small beans for the iron block 4G63 which can handle 600whp on stock internals.

Flash $400
Cam $500 272/272
Turbo back exhaust
Manual boost controller and you will see low 12's

Here is a video of an EVO IX with

Intake $200
TBE $550
Tune $400
MBC $100

running a 12.1 @ 111 mph. a 272/272 cam will add another 20+ whp up top.

These cars are tempting because they do EVERYTHING exceptionally, except the bad ass, nice sounding, hot looking thing. Even though I do like how they look. I just don't know if I want a TOY, but then again it is a serious TOY... but I also don't know if I want something that really doesn't do that much.

The thought of 500whp only sticking with drag radials daily driving that last 3,000 miles kind of sucks.

xxForgedxx

Established Member
i went from a truck to a 99 cobra and then realized what i was missing with the terminators..finally picked one up this last August and that car puts a smile on my face every time i drive it. It is a league above all the other mustangs (at least up to 04) in the sense it has a refined feel to it(seats, transmission, rear end, gearing, steering wheel, suspension), ride is smoother, the interior is clearly badass (didnt know about the power bolsters in the seat till i got it), and you can roll up to a fancy event in this car and it will turn just as many heads as any BMW or Mercedez. As the added bonus, that supercharger whine mixed with the looks attracts looks from everyone. I have people actually tell me on the road probably once a week how badass this car is. It hauls ass immediately after hitting the gas, no waiting for torque or power, its decent mileage and is just a fun fun car to drive!

I think the real factor will be how it strikes you. Go drive one.. feel it for yourself and make your own opinion, but i think i speak for most of us when i say I am in love with every aspect of this car!

I drove an 04 Vert but that's all I have driven for Terminators. There are not many around and this is a bad time of year where I am

TermySnake

Established Member
The EVO VIII stock turbo (03-04) is only a 16g and stock boost is 19psi. Small beans for the iron block 4G63 which can handle 600whp on stock internals.

Flash $400
Cam $500 272/272
Turbo back exhaust

Intake $200
TBE $550
Tune $400
MBC $100

These cars are tempting because they do EVERYTHING exceptionally, except the bad ass, nice sounding, hot looking thing. Even though I do like how they look. I just don't know if I want a TOY, but then again it is a serious TOY... but I also don't know if I want something that really doesn't do that much.

The thought of 500whp only sticking with drag radials daily driving that last 3,000 miles kind of sucks.

i'm sure there's a lot of supporting mods to run those mods that you didn't mention. 5000$ minimum for BPU it. :rolling:

the evo 9 engine block limit is between 400-450 hp, so the evo 8 must be weaker. :rollseyes

i'm not sayin they're not cool.. it takes a lot of ur pocket to make them faster:-D

Web Search is your friend :poke: know the car weaknesses B4 u buy them (That's my advice for u).

Last edited:

xxForgedxx

Established Member
i'm sure there's a lot of supporting mods to run those mods that you didn't mention. 5000$ minimum for BPU it. :rolling:

the evo 9 engine block limit is between 400-450 hp, so the evo 8 must be weaker. :rollseyes

i'm not sayin they're not cool.. it takes a lot of ur pocket to make them faster:-D

Web Search is your friend :poke: know the car weaknesses B4 u buy them (That's my advice for u).

$5,000 in supporting mods? Supporting mods for an exhaust, a tune, an intake and a manual boost controller?! lol. Know the cars before you talk about them lol.

The EVO IX has a 4G63, and the EVO VIII has a 4G63... the IX has mivec, and a 10.5 hot side, the VIII has a 9.8.

The EVO block is limited to about 600whp on stock internals. I know these cars, and the EVO IX runs a stock 12.9... it had a TBE, Intake, Exhaust, tune and a manual boost controller. How do I know? It's my buddies car.

Here is a stock block EVO running a 10.1 @ 137 mph

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucYqDJT9I3s]YouTube - STM Evo 10.1@137 Stock Block World Record Run[/ame]

I can assure you, I know my cars. The EVO is no joke, at the 1/4 mile track or from a roll.

You'll really LOVE this video, fast forward to 1:17 seconds to cut through the BS. "Bus lengths" lol

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOplKeaqg7s&feature=related]YouTube - Pullied 04 cobra vs Big Turbo Evo[/ame]

Last edited:

SVT03Chris

NASM Personal Trainer
Established Member
OP - With all these videos and info you are giving us it seems you already picked the car you want, an Evo.

IDK why your coming in here asking for people's opinions and experience when your just gonna sit here and go find videos off the internet trying to proove someone is wrong but yet you ask them for their help.

To me I think a Cobra is not for you. You would be better off driving a Lancer.

Last edited:

xxForgedxx

Established Member
OP - With all these videos and info you are giving us it seems you already picked the car you want, an Evo.

IDK why your coming in here asking for people's opinions and experience when your just gonna sit here and go find videos off the internet trying to proove someone is wrong but yet you ask them for their help.

To me I think a Cobra is not for you. You would be better off driving a Lancer.

No, I have only picked those videos to correct someone that posted on my thread as if I was some kind of dumb ass and he was the czar of right when in actuality he was wrong.

I'd like to be a Cobra owner, but like every car there are some people that are biased. I am looking for opinions from someone who has owned more than RWD V8's so they can compare and contrast from an OWNERship perspective. It's easy to "want now, buy now" and then get sick of... be it an EVO or a Termy or a freakin Honda fit.

TermySnake

Established Member
Since you're such an evo fan, why u asked us our opinion about those cars :shrug:

u didn't prove anything with that vid! "i didn't say it couldn't goes 10's" & that's with a lot of weight reduction... i said that "the stock block can't handle 450+ hp" (for a few on boost miles) i didn't bring that from my a$$, that's what evo owners themselves said.

read carefully the comments on this pages [ame="http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Evo-dyno-431whp-456wtq_173187.htm"]Evo dyno 431whp 456wtq- Video[/ame]

Last edited:

Venomm

Established Member
i have driven them all, evo s2000, i have owned or currently own dodge vipers Bmw M3 corvette z06 both c5 and c6 porsche gt3... "ITS ALL ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE LOOKIN FOR" do you wanna riced out evo or a american muscle v8... i can get away with sayin tat bc i have owned them so im not being biased by any means but when it comes down to it the decision is yours What Are You Looking For, looks ,power, handling ,drivability?

Venomm

Established Member
Get a C6 Z06, im selling mine $52,000 as well as a HIGHLY modified c5 Vette with 85k in receipts from lingenfelter and agostino racing... both of thos cars have everything PLUS MORE... and at 550RWHP 1/4 mile in 10 sec and daily drivable with 26mpg who can ask more??

Frankiebonez

Established Member

Flash $400
Cam $500 272/272
Turbo back exhaust

Intake $200
TBE $550
Tune $400
MBC $100

EVOs dont handle that much power stock blocks, no friggin way dude. Not reliably, they are a time bomb straight up. Once you push much more than 425whp your playing with fire. 500whp is considered to be teh "safe limit", 600whp... those guys are just lucky if there motors have been together for a long time.

EVO 9 with all the bolt ons, will be as fast as an 03/04 cobra in every manner, and dead hook on the street. All the bolt ons on a cobra are about 2000$ tuned. EVO 9 with all the bolt ons is a bit more money, your looking at like 4000$.

In the end, which one is better or more fun is a preferance. The T56 transmission in the Cobra is the shit, simply put. And if you do a bolt on blower your stock block will hang with built motor larger turbo EVOs. Which will have more traction though on the street? The EVO does.

My buddies 600whp evo hooks up 2nd and up on the street, meanwhile my other buddies 2.3L whipple cobra that makes the same power has trouble hooking up in 3rd gear. My friends EVO runs old ass hard yokohama street tire (NOT drag radials) and my buddies cobra has 315/35/17 Nitto Drag Radials (NOT the best tire either). If both cars ran a REAL tire, on the street... I think it would be a bit closer, but the EVO wins in the end. It has more traction and less weight.

I wouldnt trade my Cobra for an EVO though. EVO has a boy racer feel to it, and thats how its looked at through alot of peoples eyes. I get more compliments in my car than my buddy does in his EVO too.

It comes down to what you want in the end. Purpose built street machines, or full built drag or road race machines, the aftermarkets are friggin huge for both. Mustangs have a larger aftermarket, but its not that much bigger.

I will say that the EVO is a better day to day car... more room, more storage, AWD. I wont drive my cobra in the rain or the snow here in NY!!! This thing gets sideways real easily. If I had only one car the EVO might be the better choice... I'm actually thinking of getting one for my daily! Then I can build the Cobra soup to nuts.... Build a cobra with a solid axle rear, built motor, and a big blower and your going deep 9s or high 8s depending on your exact setup. Going faster in the end, its more reliable with a V8 than a 4-cylinder, you cant argue the physics!

Long post, hope it helps ya!

xxForgedxx

Established Member
EVOs dont handle that much power stock blocks, no friggin way dude. Not reliably, they are a time bomb straight up. Once you push much more than 425whp your playing with fire. 500whp is considered to be teh "safe limit", 600whp... those guys are just lucky if there motors have been together for a long time.

EVO 9 with all the bolt ons, will be as fast as an 03/04 cobra in every manner, and dead hook on the street. All the bolt ons on a cobra are about 2000$ tuned. EVO 9 with all the bolt ons is a bit more money, your looking at like 4000$.

In the end, which one is better or more fun is a preferance. The T56 transmission in the Cobra is the shit, simply put. And if you do a bolt on blower your stock block will hang with built motor larger turbo EVOs. Which will have more traction though on the street? The EVO does.

My buddies 600whp evo hooks up 2nd and up on the street, meanwhile my other buddies 2.3L whipple cobra that makes the same power has trouble hooking up in 3rd gear. My friends EVO runs old ass hard yokohama street tire (NOT drag radials) and my buddies cobra has 315/35/17 Nitto Drag Radials (NOT the best tire either). If both cars ran a REAL tire, on the street... I think it would be a bit closer, but the EVO wins in the end. It has more traction and less weight.

I wouldnt trade my Cobra for an EVO though. EVO has a boy racer feel to it, and thats how its looked at through alot of peoples eyes. I get more compliments in my car than my buddy does in his EVO too.

It comes down to what you want in the end. Purpose built street machines, or full built drag or road race machines, the aftermarkets are friggin huge for both. Mustangs have a larger aftermarket, but its not that much bigger.

I will say that the EVO is a better day to day car... more room, more storage, AWD. I wont drive my cobra in the rain or the snow here in NY!!! This thing gets sideways real easily. If I had only one car the EVO might be the better choice... I'm actually thinking of getting one for my daily! Then I can build the Cobra soup to nuts.... Build a cobra with a solid axle rear, built motor, and a big blower and your going deep 9s or high 8s depending on your exact setup. Going faster in the end, its more reliable with a V8 than a 4-cylinder, you cant argue the physics!

Long post, hope it helps ya!

The problem with the EVO is that it is always in hardcore mode. Sometimes I just wanna chill out to my tunes and exhaust note and highway down shift for a sprint through the gears... however the EVO is always stiff. That's why I'm considering the Cobra, it has more of a goosebumpy feeling to it.

The only thing that sucks is the lack of usability, I'd definitely wanna be in the 500whp club but will that force me to not be able to drive in rain without dying.

Evil Bender

Rabid Roadie
Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
(I'd definitely wanna be in the 500whp club but will that force me to not be able to drive in rain without dying.)

NO ,driving in the rain is all about the TIRE'S and of course the DRIVER.

Users who are viewing this thread