Terminator to GT500 owners please speak up.

Jibber

Kevin
Established Member
Hello, I'm looking for some insight from anyone who went from a Terminator to a GT500. Did you like the switch? Any regrets? Biggest differences that you can share between the two cars.... etc. etc.

I am thinking about making a move to an 08 GT500. The car is very reasonably priced. It was built by Autograf. It's currently tuned at 656 hp but was once tuned up to 900 hp. Car currently has 12,xxx miles on it. 3.4 Whipple, LT headers and a bunch of other MOD's.

Thanks.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
PicardDoubleFacepalm-1.jpg

celticfdguy

Keepin Calm and Chivin On
Established Member
I think what he means is that there are SO many other threads that were already created with the same question as yours, lol.

Jibber

Kevin
Established Member
I think what he means is that there are SO many other threads that were already created with the same question as yours, lol.

OH. Ok. I did a search using the search function and nothing came up. I have seen people get flamed in the past for this reason and certainly don't want to inconvenience anyone. I was surprised that nothing came up so I posted. Whatever.

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
Yea a lot of 03-04 cobra peeps question the Change to a 5.0 as well.

You will be happy you did trade up. But you will always miss your termy!

sherif41119

Established Member
I sold my 2004 Vert with 30k miles and bought a 2012 GT500. I loved the 2004 but man the GT500 is so much nicer. Don't get me wrong the 04 was great. I am not a small person and the GT500 has more room for me. I like the ride a little better as well. If you can afford it, do it. You wont be disapointed.

autoxstang

Coyote Lover
Established Member
I sold my 04 Cobra and picked up an 09 GT500 and I don't regret it a bit. Both cars were fast and fun to drive. The only difference I feel is that the GT500 is of course a bigger and heavier so it took a little gettting used. Other than that it's a much more refined car and easier to work on. Buy one and you'll love it. :)

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I miss the shear power of my Cobras, but the GT500 is so much more refined. The interior alone makes the switch worth it. My 500 will likely never be as fast as my 03 Coupe, but my 03 Coupe would never have been as comfortable and easy to drive. I never thought I'd say this, but I don't miss the 10 second time slips as much as I thought I would. It does seem that the GT500 takes a little more money to make it as fast as a Cobra goes for very little money though.

WHT03SVTCOLO

Established Member
i sold my 2004 vert with 30k miles and bought a 2012 gt500. I loved the 2004 but man the gt500 is so much nicer. Don't get me wrong the 04 was great. I am not a small person and the gt500 has more room for me. I like the ride a little better as well. If you can afford it, do it. You wont be disapointed.

x2

Jibber

Kevin
Established Member
Thanks. This is good information. Especially about your personal size and stuff like that. I did finally find some of the previous threads about this subject.
It's funny, most of the comments in the last threads on this matter favor more staying in the Terminator.
Like alot of people said. You have to go with what you feel. Thanks again.

fullboogie

Established Member
In defense of the OP, the search function on this site blows. Most of the time it does not work, the rest of the time it returns zero. I can search "Mustang" and it returns zero. This happens from work and home, and in fact happened to me last night.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
As much as I loved my 03' and got total enjoyment out of it for 7 years, the GT500 has been an awesome upgrade and was a good decision. I'm biqgger and fit in it much better and if modded correctly/similarly will perform just as well, if not better than the Terminator. Handles better, rides better. Both are great cars.

mustangtw

Established Member
I had an 03 and now a 08gt500. Im glad i made the switch, no replacement for displacement. I can now outrun my buddies 03 cobra with less mods and make more power. Some may argue they are heavier, but u can remove weight fairly easy. To me they are so much easier to drive and alot smoother. U can make almost 600whp on the stock m122 eaton

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I don't know why, but my 03 Coupe that made 580 RWHP on a very conservative pump gas tune easily went 10.80's with the A/C on at full weight and with mostly stock suspension on drag radials; while my 10' GT500 that makes 570 RWHP can muster a best of 11.70 with a completely upgraded suspension and the same tires and gas...
I'm sure a lot of it has to do with me and my driving style, but almost a full second with a gap of only 10 RWHP has to have some attribution to weight. If I remember correctly, my MPH was a good 5 or 7 MPH higher in the Cobra too. Regardless though like I said before, I don't miss the 10 second time slips as much as I love the refinement, comfort and styling of the new car.

Last edited:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
what PW said (not Pee Wee). my 03 was faster but the refinement is definitely worth it.
some times i can feel the SRA bouncing around and do miss the feel of the IRS. oh well..:burnout:

oh and hated the clutch on the 03. clutch on gt500 is 10x easier to deal with. doesnt seem like a big deal till you're stuck in stop and go traffic..

every person i ever let drive/move my 03 always asked if there was something wrong with my clutch lol

Last edited:

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I.sold 2 2004 cobras and bought my 2012 GT500....stock vs.stock the GT500 is the better of the two....modding wise I.don't know how long the shelby will take the abuse, my.04 vert took a Hell of a lot of boost and power....new owner is loving her as much as I did. Apples and oranges imo.

Users who are viewing this thread