Terminator Steering Rack (How to get it!)

chicane67

More gouge:
Information gathered from old school Ford SVT engineers, Jay Bittle from JBA Motorsports (from R&D files back into the late 80's when I used to hang around JBA) and supporting info from Chuck and Jack at MM.

'00 Cobra-R = SPR-VT, 0.245" torsion bar, 2.25 turns lock to lock (from limiters), built in house at SVT only, Cardone reman #22-280 (good luck)

'99-01 & '03-04 Cobra = SPR-ZM, STG-103-RM, 0.230" torsion bar, 2.44 turns lock to lock (from limiters), built in house at SVT and from contract manufacturing (TRW), Cardone reman #22-2000 (available, but sparse)

'99-01 & '02-04 GT/Bullet & Mach1/Cobra SVT/Cobra 10th Ann/Terminator = SPR-ZK, STG-85-RM, 0.230" torsion bar, 3.00 turns lock to lock (no limiters), some from SVT, but mainly from contract manufacturing (TRW), Cardone reman #22-238 (available)

All SN-95 racks are 15:1, 3 turn lock to lock (*other specs determined by limiter clip total thickness, on inside of boot). The secret sauce to the magic '00 Cobra system has to do with the combination of the torsion bar, the spool valve cut and the pressure curve of the power steering pump (3R3Z3A64BRM). The '00 Cobra-R had a piezoelectric controlled pressure side output of the pump, that is still the missing piece of Ford SVT information to that specific puzzle. The only real thing to pay attention to is the pump speed. No pump needs to ever spin past about 5500rpm, otherwise you are just blowing fluid through the system and doing nothing more than killing seals and increasing fluid temperature.

AGR is pretty much out of business and has been doing some questionable things that have been noticed by the industry. They are no longer (or currently) producing, or trusted, with anything.

TurnOne (Jeff) is doing anything and everything to help. They can take any SN-95 rack and custom install any torsion... yet the 'spool valve' is still the biggest question in recreating the '00 Cobra-R system (still at $1k/full rebuild). If you have ever driven an original Cobra-R, you *might/would/could understand why this is so sought after... but dealing with what we have available nowadays... its a 'test and tune' item for each driver/car, now. Call for details.

I have been working with TurnOne, KRC, and others, to set up a "known" set of parameters that cut to the chase and then just simply change the output valve of the individual pump being used to create the fine tuning. I have also been trying to get a '00 Cobra-R owner/friend to give me his pump and rack to allow Jeff to understand the pressure curve of the spool valve and electronic controlled pump without doing any harm... but it's a hard sale for most to do just that.

Old Thread, don't bump them.

Last edited:

Mustang5L5

Established Member
'99-01 & '02-04 GT/Bullet & Mach1/Cobra SVT/Cobra 10th Ann/Terminator = SPR-ZK, STG-85-RM, 0.230" torsion bar, 3.00 turns lock to lock (no limiters), some from SVT, but mainly from contract manufacturing (TRW), Cardone reman #22-238 (available)

Can you clarify this?

From what I see, the SPR-ZK is the 2002-2004 GT and Mach 1 rack. I have the 1999-2001 GT/Bullitt rack as the SPR-SJ. You also have the Cobras lumped in here but those would be the ZM rack.

Users who are viewing this thread