Terminator- Shelby Question

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
Yes, but not the GT block and probably not supercharged. A single turbo, aluminum stroker may be the way I go, but that's way down the road; weight savings and durability favor this choice IMO over a supercharged all aluminum GT500 motor. Staying true the to 'Shelby' GT500 brand and identity is kinda out the window on this car, but then again, it still has it's Shelby badging :burnout:

BTW, I've read, here I think, that the GT block/GT500 configuration saves about 85 pounds once all is said, done and installed.
how about some roush carbon fiber fenders and seibon carbon fiber doors to drop a little more? fenders would be a GREAT addition, more weight off the front!

Strato_Chief

SVT Cobra
Established Member

USBlueStage2

Established Member
Yes, but not the GT block

BTW, I've read, here I think, that the GT block/GT500 configuration saves about 85 pounds once all is said, done and installed.

Curious, why not GT block?

JDM advertises that their GT 5.4 aluminum block saves 100 pounds. At $9K thats about $90 a pound.

Those Roush fenders save about 13 lbs for the pair - at about a $100 dollars a pound!

Weight loss aint cheap:uh oh:

SpectorV

Established Member
They will make as many Shelby cars as they can sell, there will end up being far more than the 03/04 cobras. This will hurt future value but I love the fact that ford is making a good high performance Mustang AND people want it.

When it comes to the GT500 vs the 03/04 Cobra there are way to many variables as everyone looks for different things in a vehicle. If you take price, condition, and age of the car out of it there are just many different things to draw some to the 03/04 and some to the GT500. I believe that the GT500 all in all is superior in its design and implementation, it had better be... since its the latest SVT Mustang from ford. It, however didn't do everything better than the 03/04 Cobra, just nearly everything.

Some no doubt hate on it because they simply cant afford it, its not that expensive of a car, not in today's market but... its hard for many to swing that kind of coin for the car or its not practical. When it comes to expensive items or things considered a luxury that all cant have... people will hate on them, its just the way it goes. Not everyone has this complex, many just don't like the new style or what they did with it. Perhaps they hate that the only say Shelby had other than how much to charge ford for using the name Shelby was that he wanted wider tires on it~ other than that its a Ford/SVT designed/built car~. Maybe they were expecting more or some changes that they hoped for didn't get done. Maybe they simply hate Shelby for what ever reason, he was before my time... so I have no input toward him good or bad. If I had lived back when he was doing his thing I am sure I would feel much differently.

Maybe they hate the car due to the dealers marking them up and putting them out of reach, so they decided to hate the car (not its fault). Ive got to say... this is one of the main reasons I feel the GT500 is not well received by many... blame the dealers. When you cant even go and look at one without an insane markup as they know someone with more money than brains will pay it... it does piss you off.

I personally like the car other than it being to heavy (only real issue I have other than the weak rods they put in it.) I plan to get one as my next mustang once I get the garage space for another car, I wont give up my 03 for one.... Some are very attached to their 03/04 and it wouldn't really matter what the next generation came out with, they are die hard Terminator fans and are just trying to get the respect it deserves. For 2003 425hp from the factory and the extreme modability of it was amazing. After all with out Colletti doing what he did there probably wouldn't be a GT500, defiantly not how it turned out. At least pay praise to the 03/04 for paving the way for the GT500 to be a reality.

I love the looks of the car and IMO they look just as good as the GT500 if not better in some ways~ I don't think I could choose one or the other if I had to though~ In the end I would want my 03 for sentimental reasons. The new body style is growing on me, as the 99 did when it first came out (didnt like it at first), Bottom line, why not both :)

I wish I could have kept all my past mustangs... :( hopefully from now on I can.

Last edited:

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
I think in the end it shouldn't come down to which is faster, more reliable, better looking, or any other aspect... I know all Terminator owners will probably see a GT500 on the road at some point and want to see which is faster and then the winner will gloat. However it shouldn't be that... both are made by Ford. Go after the enemy! Be proud you both are a part of Fords SVT team and own a beautiful american made muscle car! It doesnt harm anything to run the two and see what they each can do... but dont talk trash on the other vehicle... its basiclly talking trash on your sibling! Love the Mustangs .. all of them ... not just a certain year!! Now go out and lay down some power .. let the enemy know your comin up quick!:burnout:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread