Terminator piston damage (pic)

cobraCMDR

I Whine
Established Member
JackBurton said:
this entire thread is like 10 pounds of sh-t, in a 5 pound bag

Lets add to the crap. How many people that did high speed runs, that melted their pistons had the boost bypass mod? :idea:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
cobraCMDR said:
Lets add to the crap. How many people that did high speed runs, that melted their pistons had the boost bypass mod? :idea:

I was just thinking the same thing. :poke:

cobraCMDR

I Whine
Established Member
PlatinumCobra said:
I was just thinking the same thing. :poke:

Yeah I think we should all be honest with ourselves on this one. We know what the mod does and well...if your running high RPM for a matter of time and making full boost when the computer might be trying to kill the boost and possibly making A/F and timing adjustments......it just might lean out the top end and make enough heat tooooooo dare I say it, melt or cause the telflon cyclinder wall clearance to be too close and waste the piston? Not for nothing, but does anyone know the actual clearance? is it tenths? Thousandths? Millionths? How much heat does it take to expand the piston faster than the cylinder? Can you compensate by a better heat exhanger to keep intake temps down? Maybe running the engine richer up top might help prevent this? Maybe it is time to look up the melting point of teflon........maybe an oil cooler would help with this, or a bigger oil pan? I don't know about you guys but I find it hard to believe that SVT would design an engine that was not capable of running high speeds for a long period or time especially 30 seconds. Or maybe we should all just buy stock in JE pistons and make a few bucks off our piston replacements...... :(

ncc386

Established Member
cobraCMDR said:
Yeah I think we should all be honest with ourselves on this one. We know what the mod does and well...if your running high RPM for a matter of time and making full boost when the computer might be trying to kill the boost and possibly making A/F and timing adjustments.
It doesn't preemptively lean out. The PCM bypass feature is an abuse control function. I turned mine off in the PCM, but that's a good point. I may turn it back on and compare boost levels during high speed runs just to see what's going on.

jimh

Established Member
There are functions (parameter switches) in the PCM to go rich on the top end. That's why a lot of dyno sheets show our cars going rich at the top. They are temp switches. The function is there to add extra fuel to keep the cats cool. Many tuners turn this off. Some leave it on when they know their customers may do some high speed runs to help prevent engine damage.

For those who insist on doing those high speed runs with this engine I'd suggest leaving those switches on.

jim

Eatonup

Established Member
JackBurton said:
this entire thread is like 10 pounds of sh-t, in a 5 pound bag

Best post of the entire thread! How do you unsubscribe to this thing. I keep getting emails everytime someone posts to this thing. Jane get me off this crazy thing!! :cuss:

cobraCMDR

I Whine
Established Member
jimh said:
There are functions (parameter switches) in the PCM to go rich on the top end. That's why a lot of dyno sheets show our cars going rich at the top. They are temp switches. The function is there to add extra fuel to keep the cats cool. Many tuners turn this off. Some leave it on when they know their customers may do some high speed runs to help prevent engine damage.

For those who insist on doing those high speed runs with this engine I'd suggest leaving those switches on.

jim

It is beginning to sound more like it is the tuners fault or the owner for disabling things when they don't understand the big picture. I would like to see if this happens to a car running all the switches or entirely stock car.......... :shrug:

Last edited:

V8Mustang

Established Member
That is why I asked if anyone that was totaly stock had this problem. I think I have head of 1 or 2 cases but I could be wrong. Adding fuel does cool things quite a bit and if SVT designed it that way, I can assure you, it was for a reason. Would be nice if an SVT engineer would come out here and say, "yes, this is that is causing your problems..."

jimh

Established Member
Eatonup said:
Best post of the entire thread! How do you unsubscribe to this thing. I keep getting emails everytime someone posts to this thing. Jane get me off this crazy thing!! :cuss:

Up top click on Thread Tools.

Slythrin

ok I have now read all of this.. i did a high speed run in my 03 cobra and now have a tick when im at an idle. it sounds like a colapsed lifter and only gets quiet when i give it gas (because the oil pressure goes up) I also have Probe pistons in my motor .030 so i dont think i have the coated pistons due to a motor that was installed last year. i think it is a lifter problem or a heat soak problem if the pistons fail then that would be the piston manufactrs problem. I just had my car dynoed and made sure all AF was correct and this still happened I too have the after market heat exchanger and all the normal boltons the car dynoed 640 hp with the wipple ( please note this is my 03 not the 04 in signature) so now what

Oh Three Cobra

Established Member
Shayne said:
ok I have now read all of this.. i did a high speed run in my 03 cobra and now have a tick when im at an idle. it sounds like a colapsed lifter and only gets quiet when i give it gas (because the oil pressure goes up) I also have Probe pistons in my motor .030 so i dont think i have the coated pistons due to a motor that was installed last year. i think it is a lifter problem or a heat soak problem if the pistons fail then that would be the piston manufactrs problem. I just had my car dynoed and made sure all AF was correct and this still happened I too have the after market heat exchanger and all the normal boltons the car dynoed 640 hp with the wipple ( please note this is my 03 not the 04 in signature) so now what

I think alot of people are confusing the tick with normal valve train noise for an overhead cam motor. Probably too used to the old 5.0s

Slythrin

it sounds like a rocker is going to fall off . my car didnt ever make this noise i first noticed it after a hard run I went home the started the car the next morning and wala there it was a fing tick tick tick yhen went away after i drove it and stayed just like that for 3 weeks now i hear it more and more

jimh

Established Member
Can you tell which cylinder it's coming from? Start pulling injector wires and see if you can anrrow it down.

Slythrin

new news ****ing thing blew up !!!!!!!! so im pulling the kenny bell off it and the kook headers along with the exhaust and see if i can get it threw ford for a repair

hmwave

Established Member
Shayne said:
new news ****ing thing blew up !!!!!!!! so im pulling the kenny bell off it and the kook headers along with the exhaust and see if i can get it threw ford for a repair

You blew the motor with a Kenne Bell and who knows what kind of tune and you expect Ford to pay for it?

Oh what the hell, just go right ahead. After all that warranty money comes out of all our pockets when they raise future prices to pay for fraudulent warranty claims.

Slythrin

hmwave said:
You blew the motor with a Kenne Bell and who knows what kind of tune and you expect Ford to pay for it?

Oh what the hell, just go right ahead. After all that warranty money comes out of all our pockets when they raise future prices to pay for fraudulent warranty claims.

first of dumb shit I have a custom tune from SVC motor sports the car was on the dyno getting tunned for 10 hours so get the facts strait before you open your **** holster. next I hope this happends to you and they denie the claim. this is my brothers car that blew and yes he does have a KB. so what it only has 16lbs of boost ..... I have a 04 with 18lbs of boost and a 150 shot and never have any problems what so ever now explain that! :poke:

Users who are viewing this thread