Terminator owners: mod heavily or avoid the 2020 GT500!

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I'll just wait for the new dct to blow and I'll win the race easily.

jk or course. After watching Jay Leno's Garage, I want a new GT500 in black so bad. They are going to be nasty.

T3RMINATOR

Established Member
My neighbor is getting one..

I'll post a video of me giving him the sauce.
Take his a** to gapplebee's

The paddles were quite engaging and they allowed me to keep both hands in firm control of the wheel and 100% focus outside on the race line and gas/brake zones.
Having driven the car on both the road course and drag tracks, I can tell you with certainty that it is far more than a horsepower to weight ratio. The way the power gets put down through the DCT and the magic of magneride and traction control is on a whole ‘notha level than my other cars. The 2020 GT500 would absolutely destroy my 750hp Whippled 2011 GT500. In order for a Terminator to beat the 2020, it will have to have a huge power advantage, even though the car is lighter. An auto-converted car would have a better chance than the manual tranny cars.

Even with the power advantage, you would have to have one hell of a driver mod to be able to shift and get back on the power as fast as the DCT transmission shifts.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Even with the power advantage, you would have to have one hell of a driver mod to be able to shift and get back on the power as fast as the DCT transmission shifts.
Not even close to being humanly possible. It shifts in 80 milliseconds while in constant boost. You would need a huge advantage in other categories. The shifts reminded me of the crack of a whip: SNAP/SNAP/SNAP!

jrubnercobra

Established Member
Not even close to being humanly possible. It shifts in 80 milliseconds while in constant boost. You would need a huge advantage in other categories. The shifts reminded me of the crack of a whip: SNAP/SNAP/SNAP!
Do you think 1st year models are a good idea? I feel like first model fords always have problems.

Goose17

Established Member
Do you think 1st year models are a good idea? I feel like first model fords always have problems.
I watched and participated in beating the crap out of these cars all day long at the track. Engines were left running as drivers swapped. The cars went right back into action. No heat soak, no limp mode, no drama whatsoever. Ford Performance had 6 years to get this car right. I think they succeeded.

I’m not concerned. I have one getting built soon.

jrubnercobra

Established Member
I watched and participated in beating the crap out of these cars all day long at the track. Engines were left running as drivers swapped. The cars went right back into action. No heat soak, no limp mode, no drama whatsoever. Ford Performance had 6 years to get this car right. I think they succeeded.

I’m not concerned. I have one getting built soon.
are you paying over sticker price

Bullitt1448

Established Member
Getting beat by a car that costs over double the money isn't unusual. Getting beat by a car that is 17 years newer isn't unusual either. I would hope that a 2020 GT500 would be able to kick a terminators ass fairly easily.

Goose17

Established Member
are you paying over sticker price

No, I got an MSRP deal. I have a loaded base car on order. I couldn’t find any Carbon Fiber Track Pack Cars at MSRP... they all had huge markups on them, which I wasn’t willing to pay.

My specs: Rapid Red, black vinyl top and side stripes, tech pack, handling pack, CF dash, Recaro seats and red cover.

Getting beat by a car that costs over double the money isn't unusual. Getting beat by a car that is 17 years newer isn't unusual either. I would hope that a 2020 GT500 would be able to kick a terminators ass fairly easily.
Completely agree. I know we have many modded Terminators on this forum. Just be aware what you are getting into with this car. It’s unlike anything I’ve driven before and will dominate everything else in my garage.

cj428mach

Established Member

That's why it seems silly to be posted here. Might as well tell us water is wet while you re at it. I hope the new precedent isn't that whenever someone wants to talk about their new car purchase it won't be to come in here and tell us how much better it is than the terminator.

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I personally don't think posting this information here is "silly." When it comes to my Terminator I'm in the minority here because I modify my car from an aesthetics stand point. However, the VAST majority of Terminator owners are ALWAYS posting about performance mods (i.e. TVS, stand alone tuning mods, converting to turbos, upgrading fuel systems, converting to e85, etc.).

So, it's just a Terminator owner telling other Terminator owners what they can expect if they decide to run a 2020 GT500, nothing more. We all know how it is in the race scene. Losers making excuses on why they lost and winners talking _ _ _ _ when they win. So, Goose is just providing a curtesy announcement letting everyone know which group they will most likely be in if they want to run one of these GT500's LMAO!!!!

Now I do agree with the statement indicating the majority of 2020 GT500 owners will be older people, who have amassed the wealth to purchase one of these cars because you know the stealerships are going to put a huge mark up on them. Lastly, just because you can afford to buy a GT500 doesn't mean you know how to drive it (wonder how long it will be until we see one wrapped around a pole?). So, I agree the majority of owners won't race them.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
That's why it seems silly to be posted here. Might as well tell us water is wet while you re at it. I hope the new precedent isn't that whenever someone wants to talk about their new car purchase it won't be to come in here and tell us how much better it is than the terminator.
But I wonder how often it'll get compared to the Terminator? It seems these cars are still an important bench mark.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Sure, but it traps what it traps. A 700whp terminator should trap mid 130s with a good driver and theoretically be slightly faster down the 1/4 than this GT500.

Obviously if the Cobra pilot cannot handle his machine, the new 500 will fly away lol

700 hp would be trapping about 140

HPLouis

Established Member
I wish it came in a manual transmission. I know the DCT is better and is the future, but I really like rowing gears. That's the reason why I ran out and got a '14. I might as well get the last one.

Besides that, it's an oustanding car. I've been all over Youtube looking at videos of it. It's a beast.

Goose17

Established Member
I personally don't think posting this information here is "silly." When it comes to my Terminator I'm in the minority here because I modify my car from an aesthetics stand point. However, the VAST majority of Terminator owners are ALWAYS posting about performance mods (i.e. TVS, stand alone tuning mods, converting to turbos, upgrading fuel systems, converting to e85, etc.).

So, it's just a Terminator owner telling other Terminator owners what they can expect if they decide to run a 2020 GT500, nothing more. We all know how it is in the race scene. Losers making excuses on why they lost and winners talking _ _ _ _ when they win. So, Goose is just providing a curtesy announcement letting everyone know which group they will most likely be in if they want to run one of these GT500's LMAO!!!!

Now I do agree with the statement indicating the majority of 2020 GT500 owners will be older people, who have amassed the wealth to purchase one of these cars because you know the stealerships are going to put a huge mark up on them. Lastly, just because you can afford to buy a GT500 doesn't mean you know how to drive it (wonder how long it will be until we see one wrapped around a pole?). So, I agree the majority of owners won't race them.
Thank you! Yes, there are some nicely modded Terminators running around. I see videos get posted here as well as on FB of Terminators running against other cars. I love me some Terminator! They were the beginnings of the modern boosted muscle car era. Anything less than a HEAVILY modded one will have its hands full against the new kid on the block... just know what you are getting into.

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I agree 100%. The DCT is a better transmission but I prefer rowing my own gears in a performance car too. I have an auto in the DD's but for the pure fun of a performance car I prefer a manual.

Goose17

Established Member
I agree 100%. The DCT is a better transmission but I prefer rowing my own gears in a performance car too. I have an auto in the DD's but for the pure fun of a performance car I prefer a manual.
I totally get it. I have 9 manual Mustangs. I’ve always driven a manual Mustang since my first car when I was 17 years old. I went to Vegas last weekend thinking it will be strange driving the latest Stang without the 3rd pedal or the stick in my right hand. It was not weird whatsoever. It was absolutely fantastic! I used the paddles in manual mode the whole time on the road course... it was a frigg’n blast! As I came off the track, I pulled both paddles towards me, which puts the tranny in neutral and let out a series of deafening revs rolling down pit row. It was a damn good time.

I will still take some of my manual Stangs out for that “old school” feel, but I am sold on this paddle-shifting DCT!

T3RMINATOR

Established Member
No, I got an MSRP deal. I have a loaded base car on order. I couldn’t find any Carbon Fiber Track Pack Cars at MSRP... they all had huge markups on them, which I wasn’t willing to pay.

My specs: Rapid Red, black vinyl top and side stripes, tech pack, handling pack, CF dash, Recaro seats and red cover.

Completely agree. I know we have many modded Terminators on this forum. Just be aware what you are getting into with this car. It’s unlike anything I’ve driven before and will dominate everything else in my garage.
Rapid Red sure will POP in the sunlight! When's delivery date?

Goose17

Established Member
Rapid Red sure will POP in the sunlight! When's delivery date?

It DOES! First pic shows the paint in the sun. Second pic is the combo I’ve got coming that includes the top and side stripes.

My build date has been moved around like everyone else with an early slot. It was originally Oct 8th. The latest date is Nov. 18th. I’m guessing delivery will be 2-3 weeks later...? It will be fun getting the 04 Mystichrome vert and the 2020 together for some pics in the sun... kind of like a father/son shot.

ECA34419-9-BD4-430-A-9-B3-D-2-A075633-EC77.jpg

70-ADFB74-DE1-A-4-D2-D-B32-A-F524-A1-EE106-C.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread