Terminator or Mach 1

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
They are both fine Ford products.
The Mach is the most underrated Mustang in years. Overshadowed by being released alongside the Terminator. If the Mach would've been an 01/02 release the popularity would've been much greater.
The best solution is to have both if possible.
They both have a unique timeless look IMO.

01FormulaTA

Established Member
Mach 1's are without a doubt the 2nd best mustang built between 99-04, they are no question better than 99/01 Cobras and a MASSIVE upgrade from a 2V 4.6 GT, that being said, they don't compare to a terminator, they don't belong in the same conversation, the 03-04 Cobras are better in every way possible...IMO the 03/04 Cobras also look 100X better, they have unique a hood, front and rear bumpers and spoiler only found on the 03/04 that set them apart from other mustangs, better factory seats, better transmission, and obviously a factory supercharged fully forged motor. The only unique thing about Machs is the shaker hood and also the factory Mach wheel are hideous....for the record Ive owned a 90 5.0, 96 GT, 04 GT and an 04 Cobra, test driven a couple Mach 1's but never owned one.

96gt02

Established Member
I've owned a few Mach 1's, which I loved but never a Termi... with that being said I'd take a Termi over a Mach everyday. Now a tougher decision for me would be a Termi or a Boss, I would probably have to go with the Boss but that's just from my love of the coyotes and NA.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
The Mach 1's were a huge value in 2004 with dealer prices in the low 20's and additional incentives were available. I'm not sure why you would go this route these days (finding a good one would be difficult) over a Coyote. The only reason would be if the New Edge styling was a major preference for you.

Recon

Established Member
Own a Mach currently, but it’s broken. I bought it broken, but plan on having it alive and well by spring. I have restoration thread in the Mach 1 section. So I won’t comment on driving experiences, as I haven’t driven a Mach 1 or a Terminator yet. I’ve only driven 2 Cobras (97 & 01 vert); Ironically both with rod knocks. There was a time I highly coveted the Terminator but now I don’t really have a desire to own one. I know it’s vastly superior to my Mach, GT, and has more potential than my Roush, and if I drove one I’d probably want one. But I like my current stable of Mustangs with my main desire is to add a 2V Bullitt. Don’t get me wrong the Terminator is an excellent machine and #2 in my book of best New Edge Mustang (Mach 1 isn’t #1). But with the introduction of the Coyote, Roadrunner, Voodoo, and now Predator; there are equally as good if not better engines out now by ford.

Pick your poison.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Got love for both. Owned 2 2003 cobras and have driven mach 1s on the street, backroads, and track. There both great cars. Aimed at different buyers

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Own a Mach currently, but it’s broken. I bought it broken, but plan on having it alive and well by spring. I have restoration thread in the Mach 1 section. So I won’t comment on driving experiences, as I haven’t driven a Mach 1 or a Terminator yet. I’ve only driven 2 Cobras (97 & 01 vert); Ironically both with rod knocks. There was a time I highly coveted the Terminator but now I don’t really have a desire to own one. I know it’s vastly superior to my Mach, GT, and has more potential than my Roush, and if I drove one I’d probably want one. But I like my current stable of Mustangs with my main desire is to add a 2V Bullitt. Don’t get me wrong the Terminator is an excellent machine and #2 in my book of best New Edge Mustang (Mach 1 isn’t #1). But with the introduction of the Coyote, Roadrunner, Voodoo, and now Predator; there are equally as good if not better engines out now by ford.

Pick your poison.

So then which new edge is #1 to you?

Both cobras had rod knocks? They needed the Manley's!!! lol

As far as the op, between the interior, trans, rear end and suspension (not to even mention the motor) the cobra was much more car, and the price reflected it.

Recon

Established Member
So then which new edge is #1 to you?

Both cobras had rod knocks? They needed the Manley's!!! lol

As far as the op, between the interior, trans, rear end and suspension (not to even mention the motor) the cobra was much more car, and the price reflected it.

00 Cobra R is #1 for me. I’m a road course racer. But I’ll try drag racing when I get the truck I want.
Yes they did. I tried to buy both. But the Vert had 105k miles and carmart wanted almost 15 grand for it, broken, not fixed. Hell no. The 97 is a buddy of mine. He didn’t want to sell it when we had it at my shop. Since he’s a father now, it’s for sale, but I just bought my Mach 1 back in November. The engine for my car is at our machine shop getting fixed, 3 spun rod bearings. Didn’t know that until we got the engine torn apart. It’s funny that every 4V 4.6 Mustang that’s been at our shop has had engine noise problems.
I agree 100% the Terminator is a built beast. I plan on a T56 and Terminator IRS for my Mach and future Bullitt.

Pick your poison.

Last edited:

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
03-04 cobra. Mach 1’s are very cool and were overshadowed by the 03-04 cobra but there is no doubt between these 2 choices. Not to mention a mach 1 and a 99(fixed) and a 01 cobra is still a drivers race with the edge going to the Mach.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Last edited:

AssPikle

Established Member
Ive had two termis and a mach. My termis had 450 on the tire and my mach had 325. But my mach had 430 gears and exhaust. Hands down the mach was more fun to 70, but the cobras pulled after that. I personally prefer the trans in the cobra as the mach ones was weak. In my opinion, you can buy a mach for much less than a cobra, add a few bolt ons and be happy for a few years. If you spend more and get the cobra, it will last you longer from getting bored. Although i hated the irs in the cobra. If i was to buy another, i would put a solid axle in it. Just my .02.

2007MustangGT

Established Member
I have owned 2 Cobra convertibles and a 2004 Mach 1 in CO. The Cobras were garage queens and the Mach 1 was a DD. I bought the car at the end of 2004 for $23K. Drove it for 3 years and 65K miles. By far my favorite DD and held its value very well. Traded it in on a 2007 Mustang GT. I choose the Mach 1 for the value.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
I had them all separately, 03 cobra, auto Mach1, 5 speed Mach, GT500. I bought a 03 Mach off Ebay for under 6k. It was zinc yellow so I tore it down and had it color changed to my favorite Azure Blue. We put a built auto in it, manual valve body with O/D, trans brake, converter lock to 4:10s, My Friend built the 4.6 and modified a low mile used GT500 Mammoth to mount on top. I liked the Cobra seats, so I put them in. This car has everything thing I want for far less then a nice Cobra could be bought.
1fbff3da7a8a775253e7d043df77ae09.jpg
e9bae969b58a4112bc413c4eb669bd1f.jpg
bbd049df496a1ac04e1ec1721fb54d88.jpg
da5323924b48d7fabc71b68fd9ff946f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
IIRC, there were less Mach 1's made than Cobras?
I like both.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I had them all separately, 03 cobra, auto Mach1, 5 speed Mach, GT500. I bought a 03 Mach off Ebay for under 6k. It was zinc yellow so I tore it down and had it color changed to my favorite Azure Blue. We put a built auto in it, manual valve body with O/D, trans brake, converter lock to 4:10s, My Friend built the 4.6 and modified a low mile used GT500 Mammoth to mount on top. I liked the Cobra seats, so I put them in. This car has everything thing I want for far less then a nice Cobra could be bought. View attachment 1461304View attachment 1461305View attachment 1461306View attachment 1461307

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice man. Well done..post some pics of the car with the hood closed. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread