Terminator or GT500?

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member
I think a lot of people went for the GT500 since it was what was new, but now when you compare a 2007 GT500 to the terminator...the terminator is the one to have.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

COOL COBRA

Hell Yes!
Established Member
I think a lot of people went for the GT500 since it was what was new, but now when you compare a 2007 GT500 to the terminator...the terminator is the one to have.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
An '07? I agree.
Later GT500? The only fix is to have both if possible. GT500 and Terminators if you have room.

Papaw

Established Member
I chose the GT500 even though I could have saved some money if I would have gone with a Cobra. I much prefer the style of a Shelby, looks more like the original Mustang, has larger engine, bigger supercharger. Both have tons of support. And, call me crazy, I like the simplicity of a solid rear end.
In the years since I made my decision the price difference has narrowed between the two which to me tips the scales even more toward the Shelby.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
The Terminators are awesome. I would do Shelby, for the fact i missed out on a deal of one that someone ordered and backed out of.

stangfreak

Established Member
15 and up coyotes for me. Terminator is still bad ass. Its a legend and it had its time. But a 5.8L motor with a big ass blower =) so hard to choose

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member
I chose the GT500 even though I could have saved some money if I would have gone with a Cobra. I much prefer the style of a Shelby, looks more like the original Mustang, has larger engine, bigger supercharger. Both have tons of support. And, call me crazy, I like the simplicity of a solid rear end.
In the years since I made my decision the price difference has narrowed between the two which to me tips the scales even more toward the Shelby.

If you see the video, you’ll note there isn’t a point of having a larger engine with weaker capabilities.

The GT500 would have had so much more potential. For people buying one to be stock, it really doesn’t matter which you chose. They have pros and cons for each

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Both are icons as far as I'm concerned and both are awesome.
I have a thing for the GT500 cars though.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
If you see the video, you’ll note there isn’t a point of having a larger engine with weaker capabilities.

The GT500 would have had so much more potential. For people buying one to be stock, it really doesn’t matter which you chose. They have pros and cons for each

Are you saying the gt500, with the larger engine, is weaker or has less capability?

NoSlowGT

Make me a sandwhich bitch
Established Member
Premium Member
GT500 all the way. That being said, I miss my '04 Cobra all the time. I have the means to have both but its not practical to have 3 vehicles at age 30 lol, as I have a '14 GT500 now. I think the '04 has more memory for me because I had it senior year of high school and all through college. I sold it because I wanted the Shelby.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sorry, Danny, I don't have the time to watch a 23 minute video to hear why one motor is preferred over the other. You know I've complemented you on your videos numerous times in the past, but it would have been so much simpler and easier for the readers if you simply wrote a paragraph or two post stating your points to start a discussion. I'm not ragging on you bro. Just saying sometimes less is more.

I can though, answer your question based on what I know of the two, and assuming you're including the '13-'14 GT-500. Which I don't know because I didn't watch the video. My choice would be '13 or '14 GT-500 without blinking. I do love Terminators, but I prefer the better overall engineering, styling, features and powertrain of the GT-500.

xsellr8

BANNED
Established Member
Sorry, Danny, I don't have the time to watch a 23 minute video to hear why one motor is preferred over the other. You know I've complemented you on your videos numerous times in the past, but it would have been so much simpler and easier for the readers if you simply wrote a paragraph or two post stating your points to start a discussion. I'm not ragging on you bro. Just saying sometimes less is more.

I can though, answer your question based on what I know of the two, and assuming you're including the '13-'14 GT-500. Which I don't know because I didn't watch the video. My choice would be '13 or '14 GT-500 without blinking. I do love Terminators, but I prefer the better overall engineering, styling, features and powertrain of the GT-500.

Thanks for the feeback. I guess even movies have trailers ha ha.
I didn’t want to type out the video content figuring it would defeat the video itself- and after-all, this is the pics and video buffet. :)
I have a lot of viewers who enjoy watching the videos at length as entertainment and didn’t want to spoil it.

Cliff notes:
Although it was Ford’s practice to use cheap connecting rods for cost savings, The terminator ended up with very good forged connecting rods due to project completion time limits rather than what was wanted by Ford and their budget.

John Colletti applied what he learned from the terminator to the Ford GT supercar as well, and with how important the rods became to him under his time crunch, likely would have continued the trend on the GT500, but retired.

With the terminator, John was PROUD to say he was passing on a value of $10,000+ warranty to the customer at no charge.

Management at Ford changed, and the GT500 was released with a $10,000 higher price tag (coincidence?) now that the car was competing with the corvette.

with many people thinking the GT500 was to be as well built as the Ford GT supercar (assuming it to be the same 5.4L) and also much like the terminator (due to its reputation), some customers were disappointed to find the car received “crack powdered forged rods.” which is not quite the same strength as traditionally forged rods.

One step forward: 5.4L with 500hp
Step back: heavier car, same performance
Step back: higher cost
Step back: not as strong as expected

The GT500 is often compared as equal to the terminator and had a greater potential to become much, much better.

That’s my serving for the buffet. Probably took me 20 minutes to type and just as long to read as the video lol.

Last edited:

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I never considered a Terminator..
01-17-2014-PICS-009.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread