Terminator inspection

Zeyzer

Blue Blooded
Established Member
I recently started looking into buying an 03/04 Cobra and I found two in my area that I plan on checking out between today and tomorrow. I've done a little research and I really couldn't find a lot of common problems with them only random ones that seemed to be related to mods. So I figured I'd check with you guys to see if I could get the run down of what to look for and what to expect.

It makes me a little nervous because I have owned my 50 Cobra for quite some time and it's been very reliable so I have full confidence in it. The terminator seems to be just a bit more sophisticated compared to my 50 so making that change worries me.

Other than the usual things you look for when buying a used vehicle what should I pay close attention to?

What are common problems I may run into in the future?

Do I have a reason to worry about it's reliability?

Zeyzer

Blue Blooded
Established Member
:eek: What about the Head TICK.... I just dug it up not too long ago and just reading about the other guys dealing with it gets my nerves going. Is it bound to happen one way or another. I would just hate to buy a Termi but be timid with it and not be able to really enjoy it because of the dreaded tick scare.

redfiresvtsnake

Established Member
The 03 cars had the head tick. They came out with a few sets of revised heads for them and all the 04 cars came with heads that are not known to get the tick. I have almost 60k on my car, owned it since it had 5,800 miles on it and no tick at all, but mine is a late 04 car.

hoofbeat

Established Member
Zeyzer said:
I recently started looking into buying an 03/04 Cobra and I found two in my area that I plan on checking out between today and tomorrow. I've done a little research and I really couldn't find a lot of common problems with them only random ones that seemed to be related to mods. So I figured I'd check with you guys to see if I could get the run down of what to look for and what to expect.

It makes me a little nervous because I have owned my 50 Cobra for quite some time and it's been very reliable so I have full confidence in it. The terminator seems to be just a bit more sophisticated compared to my 50 so making that change worries me.

Other than the usual things you look for when buying a used vehicle what should I pay close attention to?

What are common problems I may run into in the future?

Do I have a reason to worry about it's reliability?
:beer: Read Cobra Bob,s FAQ will answer most of your questions. My 03 was built 5/24/02 and no head tick. Most 03/04 Cobras do not have the tick. The tick was experienced in both the 03 and 04 Cobras.The first group of revised heads did not cure the tick in all cases.The lastest revision in Jan. ,Feb of 05 i believe were the heads that solved the problem(not sure of the date.

Zeyzer

Blue Blooded
Established Member
So it looks like I'll be rolling the dice with that problem.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
any terminator may get the tick. the good heads didnt come out until well after terminator production had ceased.

but that having been said, if a car was going to get the tick, it probably would have already. and the tick is just a ticking noise. its benign. it doesnt mean your engine is a time bomb. tell people you have solid lifters or something.

redfiresvtsnake said:
The 03 cars had the head tick. They came out with a few sets of revised heads for them and all the 04 cars came with heads that are not known to get the tick. I have almost 60k on my car, owned it since it had 5,800 miles on it and no tick at all, but mine is a late 04 car.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
redfiresvtsnake said:
Some '04's did have the head tick. The 12/05? heads fixed the problem.
The "tick" shows up most of the time after a few thousand miles.
Jeff

Last edited:

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
gas pedal fix, rear diff leak, front end creak, driveshaft vib, alignment, compression check, are the ones that come to mind.
What mods are on the cars?
They are reliable. I'm going on 43,000 miles. Only problem was my clutch but I was asking it to handle WAY more than stock by spraying it as often as I did. Great car!

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
04MystiCobra said:
gas pedal fix, rear diff leak, front end creak, driveshaft vib, alignment, compression check, are the ones that come to mind.
They are reliable. I'm going on 43,000 miles. Only problem was my clutch but I was asking it to handle WAY more than stock by spraying it as often as I did. Great car!
Is your TOB noisy?
When I had the T-56/clutch/TOB replaced under warranty the TOB still squealed like a pig.
It took this combo to fix the problem.
Jeff

http://www.need-4-speed.com/fiore.htm

Zeyzer

Blue Blooded
Established Member
04MystiCobra said:

Well the current candidate has the following with 45k on the clock:

6 lb. crank pulley, cold air intake, computer chip and dyno tune, adjustible clutch cable and quadrant, bassani headers and exhaust, new stage 3 Ram clutch, new rear brakes, new surpentine belt

I haven't spoken to the seller yet cause I haven't been able to reach him on his phone so I'm waiting for him to return my call. This is the link to the ad.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...ors=&transmission=&max_price=25000&cardist=54

Zeyzer

Blue Blooded
Established Member
My biggest fear has been narrowed down to replacing the heads with the 05s which seems to permanently fix the problem at an AFR heads price tag for my 50. I'm sure it's a very big PITA also to swap as opposed to the 50.

So this LDC mod supposedly prevents it if it dosen't have it already?

I don't mean to keep focusing on this one thing but I'm just trying to thoroughly educate myself on it.

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
Zeyzer said:
My biggest fear has been narrowed down to replacing the heads with the 05s which seems to permanently fix the problem at an AFR heads price tag for my 50. I'm sure it's a very big PITA also to swap as opposed to the 50.

So this LDC mod supposedly prevents it if it dosen't have it already?
I don't mean to keep focusing on this one thing but I'm just trying to thoroughly educate myself on it.

If the car has that many miles, your chances are pretty good you'll be ok.
If I remember right, the valve guides warp or bend, not sure..
Jeff

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
04MystiCobra said:

Is there a tsb for the driveshaft vib or alignment?

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
I've been lucky so far. I'm sure tomorrow I'll get everything.
My cars been straight since day one. I beat on her hard the second I bought and tore ass out of the dealership lot. I'd have to agree about the miles. If it has that many you should be good.

Users who are viewing this thread