Terminator Auto Insurance

Mstngsidewinder

Established Member
Just bought a 2004 Cobra, and I have a while before the snow clears to pick it up.

I would like recommendations for Auto Insurance. Looking for not just good rates, but good coverage in the event that the unfortunate does happen.

Or, would I be best to get classic car insurance through a company like Hagerty?

Thank you all!

HuntFishCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Congrats on the new Cobra! I see you're in KC, there's a pretty good group of us terminator guys here, you'll definitely need to join us this spring so we can see the car.

As for insurance, I'm happy with my American Family full coverage. Then again my family has used the same agent for probably 25 years so that always helps. Can't talk too much to the specialty carriers but they're good options if you have a dd.

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
Right now I pay $70/mo. during the driving months through State Farm, but Hagerty gave me a great rate online for around $35/mo with the same coverages so I'm probably going to switch it once the car comes out of storage.

SVT_Cobra_

Established Member
I was quoted 180 a month for full coverage, but then again I am 20 years old with a pretty serious speeding ticket. That would be under my parents insurance and me as the driver. I would kill for 70 a month. Question, if you have the classic car insurance cant you only drive it to and from car shows technically?

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
If you have a beater car as a daily driver or just for winter, which is pretty much mandatory where I live, you can insure that with just liability. Put it as your primary car and the terminator as secondary with full coverage and it will end up being cheaper then just having insurance on your terminator.

ColorMatched

grayongrayongrayongray
Established Member
I was quoted 180 a month for full coverage, but then again I am 20 years old with a pretty serious speeding ticket. That would be under my parents insurance and me as the driver. I would kill for 70 a month. Question, if you have the classic car insurance cant you only drive it to and from car shows technically?

No I think Hagerty has options for the car being driven more, but there is a limit I think. I only drive the car 5,000 miles a year, if that.

rlenzijr

Established Member
Check out Hagerty, OP. I don't think there are any restrictions like only being able to drive to 'X'. Rates may change a bit based on mileage, but nothing crazy. They were significantly less than State Farm and offered zero deductible. Congrats on the new Cobra!

SVT_Cobra_

Established Member
Well that wouldnt be too bad seeing how I live in Minnesota and can only drive it a few months out of the year. Im afraid that if i go on my own insurance policy the rates will be outrageous verses staying on my parents policy. I guess ill have to shop around. I have about 15k saved up right now for a cobra and will take the rest out from a credit union come spring time.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
Hagerty here also 700$ a year $35,000. Agreed value,you just need a garage & DD that's newer than cobra

gamebred26

Established Member
I have Hagerty...love it. Plus you can get collector car reg with it...and not have to pass inspection here in NJ. Which is a bitch compared to some other states. Right now mine still passes and is good till 2016. But this mod season I am deleting egr and all that other shit...so I will do the collector car reg. But you are only allowed like 3000 miles per year. Which is fine for me.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Quite a few insurance companies offer policies like Hagerty these days, you just nee dto shop around, although I own a 35th anny (Ii also own a 99 cobra) the agreed amount replacement value is 12K, for that I get to drive it 7k miles per year, and have a 100k liability. It has a 1k deductible. I have to keep it garaged and a fire extinguisher in it. It costs me 350 per year..total.

GCubersoldat

Established Member
Had a bad experience with Hagerty, they Didnt want to cover me because my house Didnt have a garage and my mothers van was a 2005 when they require all the other cars in the household to be only X years old or newer.

Mind you, this is with a perfect record and no tickets. Told them a couple of nasty things and went to GEICO where I'm paying $175 a month for full coverage.

gamebred26

Established Member
Had a bad experience with Hagerty, they Didnt want to cover me because my house Didnt have a garage and my mothers van was a 2005 when they require all the other cars in the household to be only X years old or newer.

Mind you, this is with a perfect record and no tickets. Told them a couple of nasty things and went to GEICO where I'm paying $175 a month for full coverage.

Yeah I have a garage and both my other cars are newer...I knew that was their policy. I pay $658 for the year. Which is like $54 a month.

SpectorV

Established Member
mine is around 70 a month with full coverage and 250/250 deductibles under a normal insurance plan, it depends on where you are at (mine went up 15-20 a month when moving to a bigger city for example). I would be careful with classic car insurance and read the fine print so you know the in's and out's of what where when coverage is included.

Pantera1

Established Member
I was paying 500 a month when I first bought mine, with 3 speeding tickets. One of my 20+ over has since dropped off and I went to Allstate and pay 150 a month

SVT_Cobra_

Established Member
I'm 22 years old and use geico, I'm paying 75$ a month for full coverage

Are you kidding me?? Are you on your own plan? I got one speeding ticket like a 2 years ago but didnt really affect my current insurance that much. I really want a cobra and am willing to pay the 180 a month but if i could get something cheaper I definitely would. Ill check out Hagerty

vroom

Established Member
I have 21st century insurance now, I used to have metlife but they didn't want anything to do with insuring the cobra. No complaints with 21st century though.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
Are you kidding me?? Are you on your own plan? I got one speeding ticket like a 2 years ago but didnt really affect my current insurance that much. I really want a cobra and am willing to pay the 180 a month but if i could get something cheaper I definitely would. Ill check out Hagerty

I bought my cobra when I was 21. Insurance was $105/month. Currently $25/month or so. I only keep collision in case of an incident in my garage. Add liability and uninsured before driving with a quick phone call. It would be $65-$70 otherwise. I just hate paying for something i'm not using.

I still have too many unanswered questions with collector policies. My agent offers grundy but doesn't know how it works.

Users who are viewing this thread