Terminated Bullitt

Jmccormick

TERMN8D
Established Member
This is going to be my official project log.

If you are a Bullitt purist that thinks these cars are God's gift to the Mustang community and should be preserved this is not the thread for you LOL! not trying to be a smart a$$ just sayin!

Anyway, onto the project. This is my second Bullitt. I am super anal about my cars and some of you may remember #5381 had a cleaner underside than any other Bullitt on the planet, there is a thread floating around here somewhere. Everything was powder coated and clean etc. Well the car had 59k miles, it had been in in the front and things didn't line up. Some paint work had been done and everything just wasn't up to my standards. I dumped the car last fall for my asking price relatively quick. Everyone that looked at it thought it was the nicest minty bullitt they have seen, I had my issues with it.

I then immediately found this 03 Cobra clone out of Connecticut. The car is literally EVERY nut and bolt of an 03 Cobra in a 99 V6 body. When I say everything I mean everything. No one would ever know this car started life as a V6. I bought the car and did a few things to it. Then started thinking, no matter how much money I throw at this turd it's still going to be a V6 titled car and worth nothing. Along with insurance being kind of trippy being a 6 cylinder car and all cobra parts. What happens when I wreck it? exactly!

I started searching for another Bullitt, my big plan for the other one was as supercharged 4v swap.

So I found this 2001 DHG Bullitt (can't remember the number lol), got it from the original owner. 70 year old Lawyer out of Chicago that kept the car at his lake house. 23k miles and original down to the tires! PERFECT clean slate for my dream Bullitt.

Some may think I should have started with a high mileage Bullitt since the entire drivetrain was going to be swapped. I think otherwise, high mileage brings paint issues, and wear and tear. The interior of this one is literally show room fresh. No money will need to be spent making the car "nice". it already is.

Here is the game plan.

Eaton 4v, with a pulley, tune, and porter blower
Tremec T56 with a new clutch
Built IRS
03/04 side skirts (prefer them for no mudflap sorry!)
03/04 Mirrors.
tinted windows
SOS pillar pod.

The Maximum Motorsports caster camber plates, bump steer kit, and clutch kit will be pulled from the Fobra and installed on the Bullitt, as well as the JLT intake etc.

Here is the "parts car" cool part is, I can part a lot of this car out to help finance this project! people love some 03 cobra interior and body parts.!

FCB3870D-8072-416E-A8D9-51F21C843E1A-715-0000002E0B77A707.jpg

and here is the clean slate.

CB5AB5A6-0E3E-47CD-B724-6BA2C3370140-10620-0000045F525D664C_zpsd811eea8.jpg

18D32D1F-C703-4A28-8CD3-E1560B8CA02B-10620-0000045F3DF7E1B8_zpse3b97654.jpg

Last edited:

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
I will absolutely be keeping up on this thread! As much as I love my Tork Tech car my dream mustang for some reason will always be a DHG 01 Bullit! There's just something about the color and history that makes me love them. I'm completely and utterly jealous that you have it let alone that your about to embark on the project you are! Definitely excited to see how it turns out! :beer:

Jmccormick

TERMN8D
Established Member
Yea I am pretty excited

First things first is getting the red car on the lift and stripping what I know I will need.

But the IRS is going to be the first swap. Parts just showed up. Hopefully get it out and rebuilt within the next couple weeks.

Massie02GT

Established Member
Looks like a fun project! Who cares what people say...they're not paying your bills. Do your project how you want it!

Edit: saw you said you're going to use the Cobra mirrors. If you decide to sell the Bullitt skirts, I'd be interested.

Last edited:

blacksheep-1

Established Member
That's a pretty nice pseudo Cobra. A friend of mine has a 69 mustang and picked up a totaled 69 GT 350 Shelby. He used the parts on the mustang, and since it's not a "real" cobra he also installed a Nash 5 speed, 4 wheel disc brakes etc. It's a better 89 Shelby than the original one.
As far as the cost of replacing the "fobra" you can get a monster deal on insurance, stated value policy from many of the companies out there. My 35th anny with a blower and cobra IRS has a stated value policy of 12K (my estimate for replacement) for about 300 bucks per year, including all the liability insurance.
I for one, may have been interested in the fobra.

Jmccormick

TERMN8D
Established Member
When the Fobra was purchased it was decided right then and there the car would never leave my procession in running and driving condition as a whole car.

Jmccormick

TERMN8D
Established Member
Made a lot of progress on the Fobra today.

Most of all the cobra specific body parts have been sold.

I saved the skirts and mirrors for the Bullitt.

Tomorrow after Mother's Day festivities I want to have the IRS removed and the fuel system.

Users who are viewing this thread