Teksid, or aluminum 3v block?

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
I have been rebuilding my original Teksid block, but I'm running into an issue. I may need to get a new block, and start over. I have been hearing that a lot of people now prefer the 3v aluminum block over the Teksid. What do you guys think about that? Anyone hear this?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I'm pretty sure the Teksid block is still the strongest block to date that is aluminum.

101blur

Established Member
Actually i have heard the strongest production modular block is from a 05 model GT's aluminum 3v blocks due to the construction in the main caps are much thicker then in the Teksid blocks...
but this based of what my tunner has told me..?

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
And another reason why I went with the new Aluminum block! :rockon:

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Depends on heads as well. Not sure B, C or 03/04 Cobra heads will bolt up correctly to 3v blocks?

What headers are you planning on using?

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
teksid or go home lol j/k i think any of those block will be more than enough you will break a rod or piston before the block goes. One thing i thought that the teksid blocks are forged right while the others are cast:shrug:

rockinrhodes

IsThereSomethinInMyTeeth
Established Member
Id say dont go by whats new or "in", but by whats been proven to work and exceptionally well at that. Plus, you already have the teksid. They're always going to be coming out with new and better things, keep it original.

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
Id say dont go by whats new or "in", but by whats been proven to work and exceptionally well at that. Plus, you already have the teksid. They're always going to be coming out with new and better things, keep it original.

Yes. I am awaiting to hear from the machine shop to make sure it is O.K. I want to keep the Teksid as it is the original block for the car as well. Hopefully it will be O.K.

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
What happened to your block?

Well, it is at the third machine shop right now. First one did a deck, hot tank, and .20 over and hone (But the guy is king off new to alluminum mod motors). The second one was going to balance the rotating assembly, and check everything out. So, he does all that and cross threads the cylinder walls, and torque plates it, the whole nine yards. When it comes back, we notice there are a couple nicks on one deck surface. So it goes back again, and the you did it, you did it finger pointing starts. He then re-decks it, charges another $200. After the shortblock is assembled, we notice one side the pistons come up to the top, and the other they come a pussy hair out. So it is now at the third one to see if we can even the decks, and run a thicker head gasket, or start all over with a new block. I want to use this one, as it is the original Teksid from my car.....

Hodgepodge

Established Member
Perfect example of why you don't source out the work to multiple shops. Just stick with one do to it all, if possible.

TESKID FTMFW

dj94gt

Modular Fanatic
Established Member
Well, it is at the third machine shop right now. First one did a deck, hot tank, and .20 over and hone (But the guy is king off new to alluminum mod motors). The second one was going to balance the rotating assembly, and check everything out. So, he does all that and cross threads the cylinder walls, and torque plates it, the whole nine yards. When it comes back, we notice there are a couple nicks on one deck surface. So it goes back again, and the you did it, you did it finger pointing starts. He then re-decks it, charges another $200. After the shortblock is assembled, we notice one side the pistons come up to the top, and the other they come a pussy hair out. So it is now at the third one to see if we can even the decks, and run a thicker head gasket, or start all over with a new block. I want to use this one, as it is the original Teksid from my car.....

That's rough man...Are the shops local to you, or very well known engine shops?

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
No 5.0 stroker kit for ya? :shrug:

It is!! :banana:

That's rough man...Are the shops local to you, or very well known engine shops?

Relatively local. All within an hour drive. I just hope it is not ruined. Every shop has people that love them, and others that hate them. Actually machine shops are a dime a dozen here. Just have to find the good one!!

rockinrhodes

IsThereSomethinInMyTeeth
Established Member
What kit did you go with? I also remember (kind of) reading something about the teksid blocks being bad for stroker motors due to thin/weak cylinder walls once bored out if you choose the .020 over. I dont know if thats true? Actually im pretty sure thats not true at all haha.

dadro77

Deez nuts....
Established Member
What kit did you go with? I also remember (kind of) reading something about the teksid blocks being bad for stroker motors due to thin/weak cylinder walls once bored out if you choose the .020 over. I dont know if thats true? Actually im pretty sure thats not true at all haha.

This is it with a Lunatti stroker crank...

4.6 2V/3V/4V 5.0 Liter Stroker Kit

Erich

Established Member
Teksids are cheap and good. Block failure has not been a huge issue on mod motors anyway. But with a zillion mark VIIIs out there what is not to like on a teksid
ERich

Users who are viewing this thread