Teksid block????

Jforce05

Established Member
Can someone spare some info on these for me? I've been doing a lot of research on the history and durability of these blocks. My unique situation is I can pick up a teksid block with cobra crank, rods, and pistons for literally no money out of pocket. He says one cylinder needs a resleeve. I was thinking about using it in an 03 cobra build. Its a 99

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Can someone spare some info on these for me? I've been doing a lot of research on the history and durability of these blocks. My unique situation is I can pick up a teksid block with cobra crank, rods, and pistons for literally no money out of pocket. He says one cylinder needs a resleeve. I was thinking about using it in an 03 cobra build. Its a 99

Great aluminum block but needs to be resleeved? Keep the forged crank and I would go Forged internals.....

98_Undertaker

Established Member
My brothers going teksid on his 03. What he said get good internals, also resleeving isn't bad and can be done by any decent machine shop.

Jforce05

Established Member
Exactly what I was thinking so far.. Keep the crank and throw in some nice rods, pistons, bearings. I was going to have 03/04 heads ported along with intake and throttle body. stage three cams and bolt a twin screw on top of it all and go racin!

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
Exactly what I was thinking so far.. Keep the crank and throw in some nice rods, pistons, bearings. I was going to have 03/04 heads ported along with intake and throttle body. stage three cams and bolt a twin screw on top of it all and go racin!

If the block is serviceable, the shop would need the correct torque plates to correctly machine the block...not every shop has the plates.

MMR loans the plates for a fee...they actually have a link somewhere in SVTP...

This comes up every few months to years......I can never remember the whole story...but here we GO.........

The 03/04 heads will bolt to the 99 Teksid BUT not sure if they bolt perfectly? I believe some slight difference in the openings????

Anyway...maybe someone with more knowledge can weigh in.....03/04 heads are doable BUT I personally wouldn't spend the money for 03/04 heads if you have good 99 heads....

Jforce05

Established Member
I was going to have Stiegemeier do all the porting so I would have to chat with bob to see what the possibilities would be with the 99 heads

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
03 heads will bolt up fine to a Teksid. I had them on a resleeved teksid. The difference is with the 05+ blocks.

Jforce05

Established Member
03 heads will bolt up fine to a Teksid. I had them on a resleeved teksid. The difference is with the 05+ blocks.
Did you have a blower or upgraded cams? How did you like the teksid/termiheads? Seems like you've already taken a similar road I'm wanting to take

Jforce05

Established Member
Cheaper to bore versus price of sleeve and labor, also if one cylinder is scored my guess is the other 7 aren't gonna be OK to just keep the standard bore...

Won't the block need .30 over sleeves? Sorry im not very knowledgeable on aluminum blocks. Just figured they all have iron sleeves. In the process of learning something new everyday

NastyNate420

Established Member
The block can be bored up to .030 without resleeving it.
If the cylinder needs to get bored out more than that you need to have a need sleeve pressed in on that cylinder as the liner will be to thin. ALL cylinders should be bored to the same size! You dont want jus one cylinder bored out .030 and the rest stock as far as I know.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Did you have a blower or upgraded cams? How did you like the teksid/termiheads? Seems like you've already taken a similar road I'm wanting to take

My block was resleeved to be a big bore set up. I had 03 heads, Ford GT cams, and a D1. That combo never made it to the dyno though. There were issues with the machining at some point and there were 4 cracks in two of the cylinders. I didn't find those until the second set of pistons were ordered. I ended up going with an iron Boss block. I liked it with my centri. I still have the shortblock in the garage. I might use it again someday.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
So i can have the existing iron sleeves bored .30 max

.020 over is more common and there's lots of pistons available with this bore. My Cylinder #7 got pretty scored but a .020 bore cleaned it up fine, that's what I'd recommend! FYI I used to know a Modular builder years ago that would bore the oem sleeves .060 over.. DON'T recommend that you'll need custom pistons to boot..

Badasssapper67

Established Member
My block was resleeved to be a big bore set up. I had 03 heads, Ford GT cams, and a D1. That combo never made it to the dyno though. There were issues with the machining at some point and there were 4 cracks in two of the cylinders. I didn't find those until the second set of pistons were ordered. I ended up going with an iron Boss block. I liked it with my centri. I still have the shortblock in the garage. I might use it again someday.

Is going big bore a bad idea? Or was your experience a matter of someone screwing something up? What I mean is, are the sleeves and pistons available for a big bore low quality or was it a matter of the person doing the machine work not the best guy for the job?
Eventually, I want to go big bore but I want to avoid any mickey mouse products.

Users who are viewing this thread