Tech- Add-on subwoofer install into 03 Cobra Vert using factory Mach 460 stereo

hmwave

Established Member
Jpjr said:
They are line level. I just wasn't sure if they were the 'data line' cables referred to in the original mustangworld 'how-to' article. A converter provides a better connection anyway over speaker level. Do you have a vert or a coupe?

So now I'm unclear.

The original post states
3. 1 Line Output Converter. (I used a PAC Converter. This will allow you to connect an RCA cable to the existing speaker wire).​

but the wires you connected to are, as you quote, line level.

If they are line level why do I need the PAC convertor?

I have a vert.

Jpjr

Established Member
hmwave said:
So now I'm unclear.

The original post states
3. 1 Line Output Converter. (I used a PAC Converter. This will allow you to connect an RCA cable to the existing speaker wire).​

but the wires you connected to are, as you quote, line level.

If they are line level why do I need the PAC convertor?

I have a vert.

maybe i'm just not up to speed on my stereo vocabulary ;-)

i don't call these speaker cables because they are not going to the speakers. they are the 'data' or whatever cables coming from the receiver to the amps. the cables going to the speakers are the one's that expand into "Y's" that i reference above. you need the coverter in order to clam on to the wires and use RCA (red/white) connections from the coverter to your sub. you could probably due with just speaker wires, but from all my research prior to this install, it is better to use RCA connections rather than speaker wire.

hmwave

Established Member
So if the wires you connected to are indeed line level (so not the wires connected directly to the speakers) I'm thinking these can be spliced into and then connected directly to the RCA line level inputs of the amp with no need for the line level PAC convertor.

Flipside, if they are in fact speaker level wires the PAC connector will be required to reduce the voltage down so the line level amp inputs can be used.
However in that case I should be able to splice these directly into the speaker level inputs on my M350 amp, so either way for me I shouldn't need a separate line level convertor anywhere (even though I have one already).

Make sense?

Maybe I'll borrow an oscilloscope and prove this one way or the other.

BiZ

Established Member
I just had this done on my car. It's the perfect addition to the 460 system. I used a JL 10w6 and an autotek 400watt amp that I had laying around. The shop also added a volume control so that the sub level can be adjusted independently from the head unit. That way I don't have to crank up the bass on the head unit. It sounds really nice.

Last edited:

Jpjr

Established Member
Biz- Glad to hear it worked out for you. I've got a volume control for mine as well, which allows me to run very low bass on the stock system and therefore extend speaker life.

hmwave, your probably right. either way, anything you can add to the write up, i would embrace. like i said, i'm not an expert just trying to save some people all the time and reseach that i needed to get the job done. send me your results and i'll be happy to edit my post to your credit.

hmwave

Established Member
Jpjr said:
hmwave, your probably right. either way, anything you can add to the write up, i would embrace. like i said, i'm not an expert just trying to save some people all the time and reseach that i needed to get the job done. send me your results and i'll be happy to edit my post to your credit.

Will do when I get to it, hopefully soon.

03 TWIN

03 DSG Cobra
Established Member
Just wanted to say thanks for this info. Just put in two 10's and it was nice to know which wires to look for. Thanks again!

e.rigby

Established Member
I just installed my Alpine amp and Infinity 10" Sub via an American International line output converter. Sounds great with the stock Mach 460 System! I mounted the amp on the backside of the rear driver's side seat. I just wanted to thank everybody who contributed to this thread. It added much clarity to the Mustangworld article. :thumbsup:

bender460

Established Member
So if the wires you connected to are indeed line level (so not the wires connected directly to the speakers) I'm thinking these can be spliced into and then connected directly to the RCA line level inputs of the amp with no need for the line level PAC convertor.

No, the line level of the mach 460 is too low to drive an aftermaket amp.

VENOMOUS 10TH

TexasMofo
Established Member
I am about to install 2-12's RF P1's. I talked extensively with the crutchfield techs and what they said was if your amp has speaker level inputs, you do not need a line out converter. They said to wire it before the amps, where the input wires are. I still am confused as to which way is best to install an amp and sub!
Which is better, the data cable or speaker inputs before the amp?
I asked best buy and they said they all sound like crap and they won't do any mach 460's. I also called a good stereo installer and they said it was a piece of cake, just use a step-down(I think the same as a line out converter)
but won't go into details cause they want me to come down there and get bent over with no lube! Then I call crutchfield and they claim to have the best references in the world, yada, yada, yada. They said it will sound fine using speaker level inputs from your amp eliminating the use of a line out converter.

To those that have done some subs and an amp, which way do you recommend, does it sound good, great, overkill, not enough and anything that you could share with the above posts would help us out greatly!

:beer:

Jpjr

Established Member
VENOMOUS 10TH said:
I am about to install 2-12's RF P1's. I talked extensively with the crutchfield techs and what they said was if your amp has speaker level inputs, you do not need a line out converter. They said to wire it before the amps, where the input wires are. I still am confused as to which way is best to install an amp and sub!
Which is better, the data cable or speaker inputs before the amp?
I asked best buy and they said they all sound like crap and they won't do any mach 460's. I also called a good stereo installer and they said it was a piece of cake, just use a step-down(I think the same as a line out converter)
but won't go into details cause they want me to come down there and get bent over with no lube! Then I call crutchfield and they claim to have the best references in the world, yada, yada, yada. They said it will sound fine using speaker level inputs from your amp eliminating the use of a line out converter.

To those that have done some subs and an amp, which way do you recommend, does it sound good, great, overkill, not enough and anything that you could share with the above posts would help us out greatly!

:beer:

well first of all, you can *only* use speaker level inputs if your sub accepts them.. and very few do these days. that's the point of the converter.. most subs only accept the standard + and - red and white RCA cables, you can't just plug speaker wire directly into the amp. i'm not familiar with your system, but that is the first thing to check.

now assuming you could use either method like me, i chose to use the converter for a few reasons.. 1) it was recommended by everyone i spoke with (best buy guys are generally basic guys who are only trained one way to do things.. they wouldn't even touch my mach 460).. 2) it is said to provide a cleaner signal to the amp.. 3) it allows you to mount the converter under the seat and hide all those pesky speaker wires.

again, to answer the general question, you don't need to use the converter if your amp allows for speaker inputs. if your amp only has red and white inputs, then you do. it's that simple... either way will work fine. :beer:

VENOMOUS 10TH

TexasMofo
Established Member
Jpjr said:
well first of all, you can *only* use speaker level inputs if your sub accepts them.. and very few do these days. that's the point of the converter.. most subs only accept the standard + and - red and white RCA cables, you can't just plug speaker wire directly into the amp. i'm not familiar with your system, but that is the first thing to check.

I assume you mean an amp with speaker level inputs. The line out converter and the speaker level inputs are doing the same thing from what I understand, getting a sound signal from the receiver.

I plan on running 2 12 inch RF Punch P1's, rated at 150rms each, with a Kicker KX400.1 mono block class D amp pushing 400rmsX1 running them in parallel. I hope this is not too much for my alt. to handle. :shrug:

Jpjr

Established Member
VENOMOUS 10TH said:
Jpjr said:

I assume you mean an amp with speaker level inputs. The line out converter and the speaker level inputs are doing the same thing from what I understand, getting a sound signal from the receiver.

I plan on running 2 12 inch RF Punch P1's, rated at 150rms each, with a Kicker KX400.1 mono block class D amp pushing 400rmsX1 running them in parallel. I hope this is not too much for my alt. to handle. :shrug:

yes, so you have not answered the question.. does your amp accept speaker level inputs? if yes, then either way you can splice into the mach system using the write-up from this thread. instead of the converter, just clam onto the right wires and go direct to the amp.

i'll be running a 200v alternator after my turbo install. if your worried you can buy a capacitor.. if you are running a BAP you will definitely want to address potential power issues before moving further..

VENOMOUS 10TH

TexasMofo
Established Member
Jpjr said:
VENOMOUS 10TH said:
yes, so you have not answered the question.. does your amp accept speaker level inputs? if yes, then either way you can splice into the mach system using the write-up from this thread. instead of the converter, just clam onto the right wires and go direct to the amp.

i'll be running a 200v alternator after my turbo install. if your worried you can buy a capacitor.. if you are running a BAP you will definitely want to address potential power issues before moving further..

Yes I plan on using speaker level inputs. I also have a BAP installed as well.
Whats the specs on the factory alt. and where are you getting that monster of an alt from?

VENOMOUS 10TH

TexasMofo
Established Member
I've also scratched the punch 1's and have been searching of some better subs. Anyone knows what sounds good in these trunks???

Users who are viewing this thread