Team Beefcake Racing Ecoboost Phase 1 - Stock vs Lund Tune track testing

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
We picked up our ecboost car last Saturday.

Phase 1 was to run the car stock and with a tune to give a nice comparison.

We started out on the street playing with launch techniques. First, car is an auto with 3.15 gears, premium package.

I could get about 10psi out of the car on the foot brake. Playing with the launch at full boost and rolling in a little. It seemed like the car liked it best to leave about 7-8 psi on the upswing of building boost and get a little wheel spin.

We tried the 93 octane lund tune on the street as well, and could get more boost and it would spin the tires fairly decently.

We put a set of our 17" race stars with 305/45/17 radial pro's to get as little spin as possible. I was a little happy that we could actually break the tires loose with a 3.15 on the street.

Goal at the track was to try each tune 2 ways. Close to full boost and flashing, and full boost.

Yesterday afternoon, I put some octane booster in to ensure that each tune was operating as best as it could. With the way these heat soak, they pull timing like crazy.

We also wanted to run the car hot, since on the street, your not going to have cool down, the car is always going to be at full temp.

I started with the stock tune, flashing it a bit. Got just a little wheel spin and a 1.96 60' and a 14.77 @ 92.63. Tires about 22 psi.

It was about 91 degrees and humid, pretty nasty out.

2nd pass, tried footbraking it at full boost, and it slowed down a bit, no wheel spin and it just felt lazier out of the hole. 2.03 60' and 15.04 @ 91.53.

Flashed the lund tune, and went back to flashing, foot braked to about 12 psi and flashed. 60' dropped a tad over the first run to a 1.94, but e.t. dropped to a 14.00 @ 97.28.

ET Pick up of .77 and over 4.5 mph. Very pleased with that.

From lunds testing on UPR's car, they have found that with the tune at full boost, some nice 60's can be gotten. UPR has been 1.6's with their 3.55 geared car.

I was excited to try launching at 16+ psi but it started raining and never got to a point where it would stop. Very pleased with the .77 et pickup. But I'd have liked to get that last run.

Comparing the logs, temps were very similar, actually about 2 degrees hotter on the lund tune run. So very close for a good comparison.

Plans are to try a cai next. then the vortech intercooler, and downpipes and exhaust. not sure which order their yet.

The greatest thing about the lund ngauges we sell, is the datalogging capability. The logging is so quick and so easy to do.

33 paramaters and about 13 fps. All the data you could never get with sct and other devices.

dorothytoo2.jpg

We may try to make another trip to the track to get that full boost launch just to find out for sure if we could pick up a second or better with the tune. But worst case, nearly 8 tenths. Not bad!!!

We can do lund tunes on the x4 still as well too, fyi, in addition to the ngauge, if your looking for a cheaper alternative, but both the x4 and ngauges are a great buy

http://teambeefcakeracing.com/lundracing1.html

Need4Speed03

Established Member
Nice write-up, I like seeing step by step progress of a build.

Quick question, what parameters or data does the ngauge log that SCT can't when logging?

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Nice write-up, I like seeing step by step progress of a build.

Quick question, what parameters or data does the ngauge log that SCT can't when logging?

were logging 33 parameters, I haven't even tried logging the eco with the sct,

the quickness of the ngauge is amazing as well, and the ability to stop and start a new log within seconds

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Logging is awesome for tuner.

Pointless for a end user.

I guess if your tuned by a company that doesn't provide a good device to datalog, that would be good information to feed your customer base.

however, recently for example the upr ecoboost car with lund datalogging and revisions has been able to pick up nearly a second off their et's compared to one of the other popular tuning companies that provide no datalogging with their device

that says alot

Last edited:

Need4Speed03

Established Member
Logging is awesome for tuner.

Pointless for a end user.

If your local to your tuner then great, but if your not data logging is the only way for your tuner to dial in the tune. A log lets the tuner see everything that is going on...a very valuable tool!

I'm not gonna name names, but I had a tune for my 15 with a company who's device doesn't have data logging capabilities and they couldn't get my shift-points raised after a few revisions (I'm an auto). One revision even left my car in limp mode and kicking out transmission codes and a wrench light. Thankfully after returning to stock the codes went away with some miles. I got tired of hearing "try this one", "I can request that again", etc...

Went to SCT/Lund and first tune had the same stock shift points. After a revision Jon asked me to log a set of PIDs and send him the log, next revision was spot on with shift points raised to 7200!

Having the ability to datalog is extremely important and my issue would have not been fixed had I stuck with the first company!

davidhuff

Established Member
Great to see a vendor sharing NO BS information on the Ford Mustang Ecoboost.
I will be buying my parts from Beefcake once he comes up with a package combo that works in the real world.
Thanks for the great information and looking forward to your build.
David

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
dumb question....what do you mean by flashing?? like feathering the throttle?

Users who are viewing this thread