Teach me about 15+ motors

GBCoyote

Established Member
Get the 15 block. Save your original motor and put it on a stand and build it on the side. Or atleast save it to have it sent off to be built one day.

bunits19714

Established Member
T400- is the way to go- you can get a bad ass one with a good brake and good converter for well under 2800- if my shifting and lock up issues don't get resolved I am about at the point to go t400 route this spring- (speedo stuff is extra) and sell my 6r80 which only has 9k on it.

Zemedici

Established Member
T400- is the way to go- you can get a bad ass one with a good brake and good converter for well under 2800- if my shifting and lock up issues don't get resolved I am about at the point to go t400 route this spring- (speedo stuff is extra) and sell my 6r80 which only has 9k on it.

curious why you want TH400 over 6r80? 6r80s can handle an incredible amount of power.

466roller

Established Member
'15 longblock in my car. I bought the shortblock, heads and head change kit. Assembled it and used my original timing components. It seems there is alot of mis-information about using the '15 and up motors in an 11-14. The only thing that has to be 11-14 specific is the timing components (Cams, Phasers etc). If your heads check out okay, you could just buy the shortblock and head change kit, providing you can do the labor yourself. That shortblock should live forever at 750, providing everything else is functioning properly.

bunits19714

Established Member
curious why you want TH400 over 6r80? 6r80s can handle an incredible amount of power.
because the dam thing will shift when I want it to, The trans brake are dam near bullet proof for anything a coyote is going to throw at it, and by the time you throw upgraded parts in to a 6r80 you will have way more money in it. I only drive my car about 2k a year so over drive isn't a deal breaker for me. plus trans, driveshaft and converter would sell for what I would almost have in a swap. And yes the 6r is a awesome trans and very strong. I just need to get my transmission tuning dialed in - but I am about over it. The company who builds the trans for the Ford Cobra Jets is about 30 mins from me and I got quoted a pretty nice cash deal.

Last edited:

oneslo5.0

Established Member
'15 longblock in my car. I bought the shortblock, heads and head change kit. Assembled it and used my original timing components. It seems there is alot of mis-information about using the '15 and up motors in an 11-14. The only thing that has to be 11-14 specific is the timing components (Cams, Phasers etc). If your heads check out okay, you could just buy the shortblock and head change kit, providing you can do the labor yourself. That shortblock should live forever at 750, providing everything else is functioning properly.
Can't you PM all the info if you have time? I am going to keep my current block and that'll be the one I build a big power setup with. I'll do a 15 bottom end, FBO, E85 and be done for now. Then I'll add some form of boost. I'll be doing all the labor myself less any machine work and injector tests.

heart_attack

Established Member
because the dam thing will shift when I want it to, The trans brake are dam near bullet proof for anything a coyote is going to throw at it, and by the time you throw upgraded parts in to a 6r80 you will have way more money in it. I only drive my car about 2k a year so over drive isn't a deal breaker for me. plus trans, driveshaft and converter would sell for what I would almost have in a swap. And yes the 6r is a awesome trans and very strong. I just need to get my transmission tuning dialed in - but I am about over it. The company who builds the trans for the Ford Cobra Jets is about 30 mins from me and I got quoted a pretty nice cash deal.

Thought the cobra jet had a c4?

Users who are viewing this thread