TDY to Tucson, what is there to do??

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Hey guys, my squadron sent me here to help out the Guard unit on Davis-Monthan AFB. I'll be here until the middle of November, what is there to do? I'm at the Radisson off of Speedway and i've got a sweet ford focus rental (kidding). I have a crazy work schedule that includes mostly nights and rotates through the weekend but I usually have 2-3 days off at a time. Where is the best place to go up into the mountains to get some good pictures? Thanks.

VFOERSTER

Established Member
Used to live down there. Payson is always nice. If you want sort of a rustic background Globe is good for mountain scenery with old buildings in the background. There is an old park right as you enter Miami(GLOBE) on the left nice old coal train there. All in all can't go wrong with anywhere up there.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Used to live down there. Payson is always nice. If you want sort of a rustic background Globe is good for mountain scenery with old buildings in the background. There is an old park right as you enter Miami(GLOBE) on the left nice old coal train there. All in all can't go wrong with anywhere up there.

Thanks for the reply! I was beginning to think this whole regional forum was completely dead. I found the SIR dragstrip, gonna check it out this coming friday. Do you know of any car meets down here?

VFOERSTER

Established Member
Thanks for the reply! I was beginning to think this whole regional forum was completely dead. I found the SIR dragstrip, gonna check it out this coming friday. Do you know of any car meets down here?

No not to my knowledge anymore... Know of the pavilions in Phoenix. I have been gone for 6 years. You are working at the base down there? I have family that works at the boneyard. Wish you all the luck.

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Yeah, i'm TDY to help out the Guard unit that is stationed on DM. Thanks for the info!

Jefe

Established Member
Just saw this, Im in Tucson but in Georgia right till next week. Best place for pics is up Catalina Highway. You can go up to the Babat Duag pullout which is about 5 miles up the mountain. Best view of Tucson. About 10 more miles up is Windy Point, great views of the Mountains and hiking trails. A-Mountain is out far West. I think its right in line with 18th street, its about 3 miles West of downtown. Theres a road I think you can still drive up, good views of Tucson. Another good view is at the northern point of Craycroft. It ends at a real nice neighborhood but theres parking up there and you can see all of Tucson and Oro Valley from that spot

Checkout Desert Street Cars - Tucson's Street and Performance car enthusiast forum. We do weekly cruises, exotic car shows on the 2nd Saturday of every month up at Skyline/Campbell. SIR every other week or so when they have test n tunes on Fridays I think.

Let me know if you have any questions

JetmechF16

Under Pressure
Established Member
Premium Member
Top Shelf Gentlemen
Just saw this, Im in Tucson but in Georgia right till next week. Best place for pics is up Catalina Highway. You can go up to the Babat Duag pullout which is about 5 miles up the mountain. Best view of Tucson. About 10 more miles up is Windy Point, great views of the Mountains and hiking trails. A-Mountain is out far West. I think its right in line with 18th street, its about 3 miles West of downtown. Theres a road I think you can still drive up, good views of Tucson. Another good view is at the northern point of Craycroft. It ends at a real nice neighborhood but theres parking up there and you can see all of Tucson and Oro Valley from that spot

Checkout Desert Street Cars - Tucson's Street and Performance car enthusiast forum. We do weekly cruises, exotic car shows on the 2nd Saturday of every month up at Skyline/Campbell. SIR every other week or so when they have test n tunes on Fridays I think.

Let me know if you have any questions

Thanks for the info! I registered on that forum under "SergeantZ". Tomorrow I'm going to take a drive up the mountain. I'm also looking on craigslist for a used Nikon d40 to take some nice pictures. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread