Tax people of SVTP, can I write off a mode of transportation to work?

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I want to get this:
b8ta: Retail store designed for trying & buying new tech products. But at the current price $1700, it is really hard to justify when I can use that for my big brake kit budget.

Anyways, can this be written off on my taxes because I will be using it only maybe 90% for work (5x a week)? My work is under 5 miles round trip. The difference between this and the other electric boards is this can go off road, on grass, it is also more nimble, just not as fast.

nxhappy

Established Member
I don't think so. That would be like trying to write off a bicycle. Pretty sure you can only write off motor powered road vehicles.

nxhappy

Established Member
all be damned, $20 a month lol. better than a kick in the ass i suppose.

MG0h3

Established Member
As far as I know you can't deduct your travel to and from work. If you are driving your vehicle to conduct business, yes.

Never looked into it though; had a work supplied vehicle for over a decade.

Machdup1

Established Member
Its more nuanced than this, but:

• Your trip between your home and your regular or main job is never deductible
  • A trip between your home and temporary work location is deductible if your main job is at another location
  • Your commute between home and a second job is never deductible on a day off from your main job
  • Your trip between your regular job and temporary job is always deductible
  • You can deduct trips between your main and second job
  • You can always deduct drives between temporary work locations and a second job.
  • Having a deductible home office makes many “commute” drives into business drives
  • Remember all of these rules have sub-rules, contact your CPA for how these rules apply to your situation.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Everyone I know working in the trades writes off their mileage with ease. Including me for a time. "regular" jobs can't.

tistan

Established Member
Everyone I know working in the trades writes off their mileage with ease. Including me for a time. "regular" jobs can't.
That is because they have a home office or a company only vehicle, and as soon as they get into their vehicle they are on the job.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I'm not sure what you mean by this, but being that I am a general contractor and have many friends in the trades, I think I have a little more insight than most.

You missed the humor, but we're talking about employees not business owners. 98% (or whatever) of tradesmen are just employees and don't have an office or a company vehicle. I worked for one of the largest non-union commercial electrical contractors for over a decade. Every field employee, including myself, wrote off all their work mileage on their personal vehicles. The reason they we are allowed to do so is the requirement to bring tools/materials to and from a work location, creates additional expenses. Can't ride the bus if you have to bring all your 20v dewalt gear. In reality most just drive to and from a job site just like a teacher drives to a school, tools are in a gangbox or whatever. But the tax loophole allows it. Most take advantage of it. I know dozens of guys writing off 30k miles a year on 120-140k plus earnings.

I still remember fighting with my accountant because it took a while before I found out I was missing out on this exploit. Can't remember if I demanded a look back or not.

tistan

Established Member
You missed the humor, but we're talking about employees not business owners. 98% (or whatever) of tradesmen are just employees and don't have an office or a company vehicle. I worked for one of the largest non-union commercial electrical contractors for over a decade. Every field employee, including myself, wrote off all their work mileage on their personal vehicles. The reason they we are allowed to do so is the requirement to bring tools/materials to and from a work location, creates additional expenses. Can't ride the bus if you have to bring all your 20v dewalt gear. In reality most just drive to and from a job site just like a teacher drives to a school, tools are in a gangbox or whatever. But the tax loophole allows it. Most take advantage of it. I know dozens of guys writing off 30k miles a year on 120-140k plus earnings.

I still remember fighting with my accountant because it took a while before I found out I was missing out on this exploit. Can't remember if I demanded a look back or not.

I hope they kept log books. I always did when I worked for someone else. Not saying that I didn't fake it a good bit, but at least I had record in case I ever got an audit. I usually had a job site near my house that I would claim as my first stop and last stop.

Users who are viewing this thread