Tank options for external pump

tvanlant

Established Member
What's a good route for a fuel tank to make 1000+ rwhp on e85 with an external fuel pump?

Can the stock tank be sumped without issues?

Seems like the only option is the glenns performance tank, but $400 is hard to swallow.

green99_svt

Established Member
With shipping the Glenn's tanks are more than 400. I have his 03 style tank and am happy with it. You could always have the stock tank sumped.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
with the sump you dont need the baffles of the 03 tank would be my understanding. The baffles keep fuel surrounding the in tank pump. With the sump youre feeding the external pump off a port in the sump which is now the lowest part of the tank so it should always have fuel

tvanlant

Established Member
Anyone run big HP on a sumped stock tank to confirm it works?

This is from the description on Glenn's performance tank:

" You can't just weld a tray to the bottom of your tank and expect to have no issues below 1/2 tank. You must have properly positioned baffles to control fuel movement With our new second generation style sump the fuel is directed into the front part of the sump baffles. Then the fuel flows through our baffled system to the outlet fittings. "

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
It really depends on what the goal is. If you notice most sumps are at the back of the tank. That's so when accelerating the fuel is pushed back into the sump and over the pick up. Great for drag racing, not so much when you gotta turn.

On that note a buddy of mine has a sumped tank in his 93 fox body. He was around 950rwhp last time i heard. But he just drives it on the street.

tvanlant

Established Member
I'm shooting for 1000-1200rwhp drag setup. There won't be any hard corners and will be used for street and track racing. Think a stock tank with a sump work?

What about the return fitting being right next to the feed? Won't this cause aeration to the inlet fitting? Or recirculating heated fuel?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
IMO it would work. But I'm no expert on the matter.

I don't think it'll cause that much of an issue. Even the stock set ups have the return line next to the feed.

Users who are viewing this thread