Talking about tire shine and tire damage

nxhappy

Established Member
ok so today I was talking to this guy, he claimed tire shine or tire dressing causes tires to crack and get damaged. I have been shining tires for 20 years with all sorts of products. I think this guy doesn't know WTF he's talking about. I have NEVER damaged my tires in such manner and have been doing it for a long time. What are your thoughts.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
Water based shine is probably best, but does not last as long as petroleum or solvent based shines. Petroleum or solvent based last longer, but I have seen a buildup of gunk on the tire which could cause some cracking.
Personally, I clean the tires when washing to get a fresh surface...no issues here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ToddW702

Established Member
I’ve been using some form of tire shine for 25 years with no issues. I put 60,000 miles in about three years on some tires they were shiny the whole time no cracks. I think it is age and sun that does it. When I lived in Vegas my mother-in-law parked her car outside and the drivers side tire which got sun all day needed to be replaced before the other two because they were cracking.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
The only issue I’ve had is yellowing of the tire with a certain tire shine. I quickly tossed it and went back with Meguiars or Black Magic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08mojo

Established Member
Water based shine is probably best, but does not last as long as petroleum or solvent based shines. Petroleum or solvent based last longer, but I have seen a buildup of gunk on the tire which could cause some cracking.
Personally, I clean the tires when washing to get a fresh surface...no issues here.

You're on the right track. If the shine contains petroleum distillate solvents, it may cause damage to the tire over time.

Tire Dressing: What It Is and Should We Use It | DetailXPerts Blog

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I've definitely used various products over the years that ate my tires from just sitting

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Water based shine is probably best, but does not last as long as petroleum or solvent based shines. Petroleum or solvent based last longer, but I have seen a buildup of gunk on the tire which could cause some cracking. Personally, I clean the tires when washing to get a fresh surface...no issues here.

That what I have done as well. I do have a top tier tire dressing but have chosen not to use it....yet. So far, I haven't needed it. I also only have 3,100 miles on the car (13 months of ownership), so that is a factor to how great the tires still look.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I hate tire dressing and ESPECIALLY engine dressing/gloss with a passion. Gets everywhere, looks like shit after a few days and if you touch it... God help you getting that shit off.

Fresh and clean but no dressing for me please!

I gave up on that stuff. Maguire's natural shine is okay and smells great but otherwise just a mess. Haven't tried any top tier stuff, but lets be honest my car is a quick ass shitbox, not wasting money on stuff like that. Mythbusters proved you can polish a turd but neither cost nor time effective.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
That what I have done as well. I do have a top tier tire dressing but have chosen not to use it....yet. So far, I haven't needed it. I also only have 3,100 miles on the car (13 months of ownership), so that is a factor to how great the tires still look.

I use Zaino tire dressing. Its water based, last long (enough) if not a daily driver and comes clean off when washed.

Ohio Snake

Established Member
I hate tire dressing and ESPECIALLY engine dressing/gloss with a passion. Gets everywhere, looks like shit after a few days and if you touch it... God help you getting that shit off.

Engine Bay....

Use Jax Wax Dash Vent Magic (hides water spots especially in hard to clean areas) for a clean new car look that last a long time or Pig Snot for glossy look (car show to impress). Both are really good and not messy.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I guess I'm a dinosaur using Zaino's tire shine, its water based and just makes it look nice a dark. It isn't all greasy and shiny

nxhappy

Established Member
I’ve been using some form of tire shine for 25 years with no issues. I put 60,000 miles in about three years on some tires they were shiny the whole time no cracks. I think it is age and sun that does it. When I lived in Vegas my mother-in-law parked her car outside and the drivers side tire which got sun all day needed to be replaced before the other two because they were cracking.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
I have lived in hot ass weather all my life. I have never seen tire damage due to tire shine. Usually the damaged tires are 10 years old or more.

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
I have a Viper and a Raptor that both get used for what they were intended.

My tires don't last long enough for me to worry about tire shine damaging them. lol

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.

Same.

Scrub the sidewall with a brush, then hit it with a wash mitt you don't use for paint.

Entirely subjective but I like a clean tire over a shiny tire.

Users who are viewing this thread