Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Winter Tires for GT500

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member
Guys, time for a change in my vehicles. Wife daily drives a 2015 Land Cruiser. I daily the GT500 and weekend drive the 930. We have a 2.5 year old and a 5 month old. The wife will not drive the GT500 although she is definitely qualified to drive it (she used to drive an extensively modded WRX).

Currently, the GT500 goes into hibernation during the winter. Mainly due to the Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires.

I need a vehicle to drive when it's cold. It doesn't need to be a snow machine. I dont need to put car seats in my car if my wife and I can swap cars when I'm taking the kids to go do something.

I have a 5 minute commute so mileage isn't an issue.

1. Buy a used pickup.
Pro: very practical. Wife would drive it when needed.
Con: would sit parked for months at a time during warm weather. Do I really want to deal with 4 cars for 2 drivers (basically 3 cars for me)?

2. Sell GT500. Buy 2016 E63 or RS7.
Pro: 4 doors. AWD. Very fast. Wife would drive either.
Con: fear I'd miss the GT500 the fun I have driving it and the fun / satisfaction I get from wrenching on it. Maintenance; the GT500 required basically none (certainly nothing I cant just do myself) while the Merc or Audi can get expensive. And it's not just the cost but the inconvenience of having to screw around with the dealership or Indy shop.

3. Put some winter tires on the stock wheels for the GT500.
Pro: could drive when it's cold. $1500 total cost. Could still do all my own wrenching.
Con: wife would still not drive it.

Pribilof

Established Member
Now with a Poll!

Forgot to mention that I live in the city. The truck would be parked on the street. No meters or time restrictions to worry about but I would have to move it for street sweeping the first week of every month.

Obligatory pic of the 930 (before I re-registered it to CO)
87 930 S CAB 15.jpg

Zemedici

Established Member
Truck - but get a nicer truck so you won’t mind spending time in it.

Thought i would regret not having a fun car, but heated massaging seats help me forget about it

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Truck - but get a nicer truck so you won’t mind spending time in it.

Thought i would regret not having a fun car, but heated massaging seats help me forget about it
Guy didn't ask about your kinks...although I too love messaging, heated, cooled seats.

OP, being we're in the same area, snow comes in cycles and rarely hangs around for more than a few days at max, hell most of yesterday's snow is already melted.

As someone who used to not appreciate trucks many years ago, I haven't gone without one in 10 or so years, You will use it way more than you think.

From a cost point, some good snow tires/wheels on the GT500 will work 90% of the time here. My biggest issue is this state decided to start to go cheap and now mixing salt with the magcholoride. So be sure to wash a day later every time you drive in the snow to prevent rust. That alone I wouldn't drive the GT500 as that crap sucks cleaning off every time and adds some detail time start of the season.

These days, the car doesn't move until 2 days after snow to minimize headaches. Love the Audi/Merc option (I've considered both), but if you love the Shelby, I'd go truck.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Where are you located that you would need snow tires ? In other words, how bad are your winters where you’re located ?

Pribilof

Established Member
Where are you located that you would need snow tires ? In other words, how bad are your winters where you’re located ?

I don't necessarily need snow tires. I would need at least all season tires, like AS3s, for the Shelby. The sport cup 2 tires are worthless if it's below 60 and downright dangerous if it's below 40.

I live in Denver, like screw-rice. With the Shelby and tires, if it snows I'd be carless for 3-4 days while the snow melted and the roads dryed off.

More votes for the truck (4th vehicle) option than I expected.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I voted truck as I don't think you should sell the GT500. Too much of an awesome machine.
An RS7 or E63 would be killer for daily driving/winter time, but you'd have to sell the GT500, so again that's a no go for me. Truck is my vote.
Good luck!

M240Bravo

Established Member
I have a E63 and you ain't wanting that for winter DD even with winter tires.

Why not get a nice 4 door AWD car you can have all year for a winter and crappy weather DD.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Would you please put end days on polls. Shit shows up years later because some dummy votes on it.
Beater truck.

M240Bravo

Established Member
Now with a Poll!

Forgot to mention that I live in the city. The truck would be parked on the street. No meters or time restrictions to worry about but I would have to move it for street sweeping the first week of every month.

Obligatory pic of the 930 (before I re-registered it to CO)
View attachment 1529370

Ia that your slant nose?

Pribilof

Established Member
Ia that your slant nose?
Sure is.
https://www.svtperformance.com/threads/build-thread-1987-porsche-930-factory-slant-nose.1135035/

I have a E63 and you ain't wanting that for winter DD even with winter tires.

Why not get a nice 4 door AWD car you can have all year for a winter and crappy weather DD.

1. Why not? Ground clearance? Too nice to drive in crap conditions? My commute is 5.4 miles round trip on city streets. I work for myself so if it's truly snowing then I can work from home.

2. Because a nice AWD 4 door car is less practical than a truck and introduces the same inconvenience of having a 4th auto in the family.

Last edited:

coposrv

Established Member
Work for yourself? Cheap lease on a rav4. Write it off. Done.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Another reason for truck, between Californians and idiots in general, you're rolling the dice in bad weather of someone sliding into you. I see it all the time.

M240Bravo

Established Member
1. Why not? Ground clearance? Too nice to drive in crap conditions? My commute is 5.4 miles round trip on city streets. I work for myself so if it's truly snowing then I can work from home.

2. Because a nice AWD 4 door car is less practical than a truck and introduces the same inconvenience of having a 4th auto in the family.

Driving with all seasons any time it rains the TC always kicks on, deep snow I would bet the front nose would be a plow. I just use my as a back up summer DD.

If you want a truck get a raptor, will hold the value and its a awesome truck, I have kept mine for a tow truck when I bought a new one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread