Talk about bang for your buck

coremaster21

Established Member
Came across this Mercedes on Craigslist, V-12 Bi-Turbo! I thought the terminator was one of the best bang for your bucks, but this might have it beat. Are these things junk because dang talk about depreciation; $180,000 new and now only for 20k. Apparently it makes 700hp and over 800 torque, that's insane. What is everyone's opinion on this?
https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/6177281104.html

smitty2919

Established Member
I guess strictly talking dollar vs hp/tq ratio ONLY.

So many other factors when speaking overall "bang for the buck."

Change the wheels, lower it a tad, make some chrome accents black and I'd rock it lol. Just don't want maintenance cost on that bitch.

I think I read somewhere MB has one of the highest depreciation values.

Last edited:

coremaster21

Established Member
So many other factors when speaking overall "bang for the buck."
Like what? It makes 700hp and has a crap load of bell and whistles for $20k. I get that it's a high mileage MB but still... I am genuinely curious because it sounds like a good deal to me.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Those cars have some crazy hydraulic suspension that always breaks/leaks and costs a small fortune to fix. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Those cars have some crazy hydraulic suspension that always breaks/leaks and costs a small fortune to fix. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole

This. Plan on $2000 per ABC strut. Then there's the tandem pump, about $3500 to replace. It also has pulsation dampners and valve blocks for the suspension, that will fail, not if. Because it's a V12, the ac compressor job is about $3500. The coils per side parts price through MB is $1000 each plus labor. The labor to change is high, because it's a PITA to do. Each engine bank as a inner cooler that has to be remove to access the coil pack. You better have an extra $20K laying around to keep it running. Engine and trans are fairly unbreakable, it's everything else that will fail.

coremaster21

Established Member
This. Plan on $2000 per ABC strut. Then there's the tandem pump, about $3500 to replace. It also has pulsation dampners and valve blocks for the suspension, that will fail, not if. Because it's a V12, the ac compressor job is about $3500. The coils per side parts price through MB is $1000 each plus labor. The labor to change is high, because it's a PITA to do. Each engine bank as a inner cooler that has to be remove to access the coil pack. You better have an extra $20K laying around to keep it running. Engine and trans are fairly unbreakable, it's everything else that will fail.
Damn dude you know your stuff. Good to know, thanks!

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
If you buy it, sell your tools, jack, and jack stands...cuz that is a car you can't wrench on much yourself. Awesome when new...but maintenance is crazy money as was said.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
big red flag here in the sellers ad: We just paid to have it delivered by trailer from California. We have the title in hand and it's ready to sign over. Got from a friend but we decided not to keep it. I will provide VIN when requested, we have spoken and I can verify that you are REAL and LOCAL BUYER. We are in WEST Houston.

I bet they got that sucker off the trailer and quickly figured out it has some issues or soon will have things that need to be done. The VIN thing is kinda weird, but I understand why some folks are hyper vigilant these days.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Damn dude you know your stuff. Good to know, thanks!

Write service at Mercedes. It's a fantastic vehicle. But you don't want to own it out of warranty.

big red flag here in the sellers ad: We just paid to have it delivered by trailer from California. We have the title in hand and it's ready to sign over. Got from a friend but we decided not to keep it. I will provide VIN when requested, we have spoken and I can verify that you are REAL and LOCAL BUYER. We are in WEST Houston.

I bet they got that sucker off the trailer and quickly figured out it has some issues or soon will have things that need to be done. The VIN thing is kinda weird, but I understand why some folks are hyper vigilant these days.

If anyone wants to get the VIN, I'll run it and see how many times it's been to an MB service center and what kind of repairs.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
That generation S/CL/SL with the hydraulic suspension can be nasty if they weren't maintained. The V12 has some expensive parts that tend to fail, like the coils. Just remember, it cost $180k new. You have to maintain it like a $180k car. There are a few things that are tough to do without the STAR computer system.

There are plenty of people that bought them new and maintained them, or bought a well maintained one, and have had good luck. Unfortunately most don't maintain them properly.

If you're really interested in one, I'd suggest the W211 (03-06) E55. Motor is pretty bulletproof, and because there were so many M113Ks made, and a lot is shared with the non-AMG M113, parts are pretty cheap. They have an air suspension, which is expensive if it fails, but far cheaper than the bigger cars' hydraulic system. Easy to mod, make good power. Mine has been pretty awesome. Just a few minor repairs needed of a 13 year old car that lived most of it's life in Palm Springs.

The AMG community is pretty good. Many owners that like to work on cars and make them go fast.

Or you can find an S55 if you want the bigger car. V12 is awesome, but V8 is easier to maintain. The S55 is usually more expensive than an S65 for this reason.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Red flag in the ad about just having gotten it. AND, is it me or does that rear suspension look a little on the high side?

AAG

Established Member
That's a good way to burn $20k. There is a reason why it's worth peanuts now on the used market.

Users who are viewing this thread