Taking a shop to court

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Sucks man. So sorry to hear. Really really sucks.

This is why I do my own work. Even if it takes me a year to built my motor— I AM DOING IT.

Sorry man. Really shitty.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I did so I’m going to initiate a charge back and see how that goes. The dude went MIA and refuses to answer his phone and I’m not the only one he ****ed.
That info says there is NO way you'll see a penny if you take them to court. Sucks! But just move on and hopefully working with an honest/reputable shop in the future will save you some money to help absorb this loss.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
I would go down to the shop and call the Police and make a Police report. This is a larceny if u have already paid for a service and parts and didnt get what u paid for.

Not everything is civil ALONE although circumstances like this CAN end up in civil court if u chose to take that route AS WELL!

I took police reports for this kind of shit for decades. Its called Theft of Services and is listed in almost every state statute as a Larceny.

Get it documented with a Police report. U gave this guy money to perform a service and he didnt perform said service and u didnt get a refund. Thats stealing!

It really depends on the Cop that shows up. Some are lazy and will state "Civil matter" but if its an actual competent cop he will take ur report. Plenty of Civil matters are also criminal.

People get arrested for criminal shit all the time and the victim ALSO takes them to court for further civil damages. Its common practice.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
As others have stated, lawsuits aren't worth your time. I'm currently in the middle of a mid-seven-figure arbitration as the defendant in a product defect case. When this process started I was all about justice and making things right. A year on, I've made the realization that the only people profiting from this are the lawyers. They continue to file motion and counter motion. We are on our third round of rebuttals to expert deposition. The arbitrator himself is incentivized to keep the case open for as long as possible (he charges more than $500 per hour). We've maxed our insurance deductible for legal coverage within 3 months of notification (that was $50k). I have one lawyer and one legal assistant working with me. They send me their monthly logs to approve payments. They charge by the 1/4 hour. lol.

The second realization I made is that sometimes folks become litigious simply to be a disruptor to your normal business rather than gaining any money in the settlement. In our case, when a settlement is made, the plaintiff will see very little of that money. His legal team is compensated as a percentage of settlement and all costs/expenses. The plaintiff simply wants to distract our team. You'd be amazed at how much sleep someone loses over something like this. Perhaps that's their goal...

So if your intent was simply to distract him from the start-up of his next venture, maybe that would be time-worthy. If your soul has it in it...

MG0h3

Established Member
Agree with above.

Likely a waste of time.

I sued a realtor following a deal gone bad.

After about 9 months, we ended up in arbitration.

I found it odd that my attorney listed my total legal expenses up to that day.

While sitting there racking up $500 an hour between my attorney and my half of the arbitrators fee, I realized the whole thing was a sham.

3 hrs later and after some slight nudging by my attorney, I settled for $26k.

Shit you not, legal fees to me were $25k and change.

Only people that won were both attorneys, and believe me, I let those scumbags know what I thought of them after I signed.

I’m sure they were ripping the next guy off before the day was out.

MG0h3

Established Member
Agree with above.

Likely a waste of time.

I sued a realtor following a deal gone bad.

After about 9 months, we ended up in arbitration.

I found it odd that my attorney listed my total legal expenses up to that day.

While sitting there racking up $500 an hour between my attorney and my half of the arbitrators fee, I realized the whole thing was a sham.

3 hrs later and after some slight nudging by my attorney, I settled for $26k.

Shit you not, legal fees to me were $25k and change.

Only people that won were both attorneys, and believe me, I let those scumbags know what I thought of them after I signed.

I’m sure they were ripping the next guy off before the day was out.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The entire legal system is created, operated, and maintained by the very people who benefit the most from it. It is a massive scam.

Yours Truly,

Captain Obvious

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Your post is hard to follow, you’re saying they fixed the heads and also installed the wrong push rods?
They installed fixed heads that I paid for from LME and the kid who put everything together put the wrong pushrods in and caused the retainer to push the valve through the spring
It also blew a hole in the head

Attachments

• 587B981F-FB86-46FE-B0F6-5D56488BFF1A.jpeg
    587B981F-FB86-46FE-B0F6-5D56488BFF1A.jpeg
    278.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 2B5F7B73-6F83-4FFA-81D3-7F711B500263.jpeg
    2B5F7B73-6F83-4FFA-81D3-7F711B500263.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 42
  • F98812E0-7A93-422D-AC11-A5169C65FEEB.jpeg
    F98812E0-7A93-422D-AC11-A5169C65FEEB.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 42

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
Sucks man. So sorry to hear. Really really sucks.

This is why I do my own work. Even if it takes me a year to built my motor— I AM DOING IT.

Sorry man. Really shitty.

I think this is what I’m going to do from know on. At least I’ll only have myself to blame plus the satisfaction of knowing I did it myself is worth it.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
As others have stated, lawsuits aren't worth your time. I'm currently in the middle of a mid-seven-figure arbitration as the defendant in a product defect case. When this process started I was all about justice and making things right. A year on, I've made the realization that the only people profiting from this are the lawyers. They continue to file motion and counter motion. We are on our third round of rebuttals to expert deposition. The arbitrator himself is incentivized to keep the case open for as long as possible (he charges more than $500 per hour). We've maxed our insurance deductible for legal coverage within 3 months of notification (that was $50k). I have one lawyer and one legal assistant working with me. They send me their monthly logs to approve payments. They charge by the 1/4 hour. lol.

The second realization I made is that sometimes folks become litigious simply to be a disruptor to your normal business rather than gaining any money in the settlement. In our case, when a settlement is made, the plaintiff will see very little of that money. His legal team is compensated as a percentage of settlement and all costs/expenses. The plaintiff simply wants to distract our team. You'd be amazed at how much sleep someone loses over something like this. Perhaps that's their goal...

So if your intent was simply to distract him from the start-up of his next venture, maybe that would be time-worthy. If your soul has it in it...
I want to ruin his LLC followed by his life lol

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
I would go down to the shop and call the Police and make a Police report. This is a larceny if u have already paid for a service and parts and didnt get what u paid for.

Not everything is civil ALONE although circumstances like this CAN end up in civil court if u chose to take that route AS WELL!

I took police reports for this kind of shit for decades. Its called Theft of Services and is listed in almost every state statute as a Larceny.

Get it documented with a Police report. U gave this guy money to perform a service and he didnt perform said service and u didnt get a refund. Thats stealing!

It really depends on the Cop that shows up. Some are lazy and will state "Civil matter" but if its an actual competent cop he will take ur report. Plenty of Civil matters are also criminal.

People get arrested for criminal shit all the time and the victim ALSO takes them to court for further civil damages. Its common practice.
Yea I know I’ve taken people to court for theft of service a couple of times for my business. I think maybe twice it actually paid off.

365 Saleen

Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The problem with taking an automotive related claim to court is that the Judge knows as much about cars as he does his Toaster Oven. It is all gibberish to them. They make a ruling based on a complete lack of knowledge of the subject matter. It is a bunch of BS.
Been there, done that, on both sides of the issue.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
The problem with taking an automotive related claim to court is that the Judge knows as much about cars as he does his Toaster Oven. It is all gibberish to them. They make a ruling based on a complete lack of knowledge of the subject matter. It is a bunch of BS.
Been there, done that, on both sides of the issue.
Yea I know it’s unfortunate. My lawyer told me if I can prove that the installed parts were catastrophically damaging due to his error we can sue for negligence and my lawyer is a prosecutor and was a judge so it seems he thinks it’s a possible case. He’s my cousin so he’s not telling me it’s a case to try and suck money out of me.

Users who are viewing this thread