Tactile transducer/ bass shaker for home theater

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
I’m in the process of rebuilding my home theater. Decided to try installing a tactile transducer/ “bass shaker” inside my recliner. I’m running it off an old sub amp and have it crossed it over at 80hz. So basically when you have it on, it shakes the chair during explosions and other low frequency effects. Thought it would be relatively worthless to mildly entertaining, but I’m pretty impressed. Pretty cheap too…about $ 70. Anybody running these?

IMG_8755.JPG
IMG_8756.JPG
IMG_8757.JPG

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I can't help you with info as I've never done anything like this, but it's actually a pretty cool idea. I am interesting in knowing how you like it when it's done.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I've seen those before over at Parts Express. Haven't really considered using them since I just go with the brute force method: lots of bass drivers + lots of power = plenty of vibrations. ha Glad to hear you like them, though. Maybe I should reconsider them since I managed to get 3 authentic Dream Lounger loveseats just like Marcus Cinemas use.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Back in the day, had a retail store (AV), and had one in the big theater couch. Not for me, but was a conversation piece. You might want to try crossing it over lower, 80hz strikes me that the transducer might not be able to keep up, and distort (my mind is telling me 10- 30hz, at the threshold of human hearing, so you only feel it). But maybe its just fine for you.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
^That was my initial thought too, but I just went with it. Not like I can move it anyway. ha

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
A friend had 2 of these in his home theater. Was kind of cool at first I guess, but it's more gimmicky to me.

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
Back in the day, had a retail store (AV), and had one in the big theater couch. Not for me, but was a conversation piece. You might want to try crossing it over lower, 80hz strikes me that the transducer might not be able to keep up, and distort (my mind is telling me 10- 30hz, at the threshold of human hearing, so you only feel it). But maybe its just fine for you.
80 is as low as the knob goes on the plate amp I’m using. I don’t have the gain on the amp cranked much (50%), so distortion isn’t audible. I did some YouTube frequency sweeps and I can start to feel it around 15 hz. Maybe I could get a cheap bass blocker and put it inline to keep it below 40hz or so…

Users who are viewing this thread