Tablet -- which one to buy?

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
Hey guys....was thinking of getting a tablet for my wife

Any suggetions on which one to get that's NOT an apple? It would mostly just be used for twitter, FB and surfing the web. So I wouldn't need anything fancy

I have to read up on the Kindle Fire....I'd love to go with an ipad mini , just can't justify the price with so many cheaper alternatives out there.

Thanks in advanced:beer:

UncleDan

Established Member
I bought the girlfriend an Asus 300 TF, and my mom an iPad Mini for Christmas. If I had to chose, I'd probably take the Asus. Very nice piece for the money and on the Droid platform too. The iPad Mini is way over priced for what it is IMO, but the reason I bought it for my mother is because it's simplistic.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
Bought my wife the Nexus 10 for Christmas and she hasn't used her laptop since. She absolutely loves it.

U.M.

+1 for the Google Nexus but if you want a less expensive and more "travel sized" version, go with the Nexus 7. Can't go wrong with either one IMO.

Bad03Vert

Hello 5.0
Established Member
Bought my wife the Galaxy Note 10.1 - very nice piece of equipment. Takes great pictures, multitasks, and keeps her off my back. :lol1:

Blown 89

Established Member
I recommend a Nexus 7 or 10. They're a lot smoother and will get updated quicker.

I have a barely used (only used it for a few weeks) Galaxy Tab2 10.1 for sale if you want to save some money.

Fuzzy Logic

ʎʇıןɐǝɹ ɹnoʎ ʇɔǝɾǝɹ ן
Established Member
i have the nexus 10 myself. battery life and screen are amazing. if you're using the tablet for media consumption, i recommend the nexus 10. the resolution of the screen is higher than the retina display found on apple ipads. in fact it's the highest on current tablets out right now.

it's also very nice to hold and not slippery (never afraid of dropping it). the back has a rubbery type finish which gives you confidence in holding it.

to make using it easier? i'd also recommend the logitech 600 bluetooth keyboard.

whichever you choose, enjoy! :beer:

(i'm a bit biased since i have a nexus 10. :coolman:)

Thursday

Tu ne cede malis
Established Member
I've had two tablets and ended up selling them both. I now use a $250 Samsung Chromebook as a replacement and couldn't be happier.

I found I rarely used the apps on my tablet. I mostly just browsed the web while lounging around. Having a physical keyboard makes a world of difference for web browsing, and being able to set it on your lap without having to physically support the device for a good viewing angle is nice.

Just another option to keep in mind.

evolve

Established Member
It really depends on what OS she likes and what she plans on doing. If she is an Apple person then the choice is obvious. If she is better with Android, the Asus Transformer and Samsung Tablets are great. Microsoft Surface if she does alot of "microsoft" things like using powerpoint or word.

mike.b

Established Member
OS preference is the key here. I'd get a Nexus if you're looking for a better price than Apple stuff.

I use an iPad mini in place of my laptop 85% of the time now. To me, it was worth the extra coin to have the tablet on the same platform as everything else I use. Makes life a bit easier.

PDubs

Established Member
Samsung galaxy note 10.1 if given a choice of any. We settled on the galaxy tab 10.1 and love it. we also have a WinRT tablet and don't really recommend that thing.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
If you can, visit a store like Best Buy, or Verizon/AT&T and try different ones. See which you like best, OS-wise and size-wise. They're all good and everyone has personal preferences. You really have to know the features of each and see which one more appeals to you and which will best compliment the way you work.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'd buy a Surface if it could be had with Windows 7. I have enough rewards points from one of my CCs to get a small pile of iPads, so I'll probably pick one of those up this Fall.

SHOdown220

Established Member
I'm going to get flamed for this, but I bought a nextbook at Walmart for $99. It's 8" and 8 gig, runs android 4.1 jelly bean, and has google play on it. I rarely use a tablet though, it's only for browsing the Internet every now and then. That's why I went so cheap, I knew it was going to be used 5 hours a week tops.

Really only complaints I have are with the screen, it has to be held at the right angle or it gets blotchy.

But just a heads up to anyone not wanting to dish out a lot of money and isn't going to use it often

Users who are viewing this thread