T56 swap?

nate99cobra

i'm thinking of swapping my stock 99 tranny for a t56.. what new components would i need besides the mount, shifter? would i need a new flywheel, yoke or bell housing as well? and what would be a good clutch during the swap?

thanks....

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
the bellhousing should come with the tranny

you will need a new tranny mount and a shorter driveshaft.

same flywheel

and depending on your power I would do a spec stg 2 or 3+

TripleBlackVert

Meh whatever!
Established Member
03-04 Drive shaft.
03-04 Pinion flange.
The Bellhousing is not seperable from the T-56.
03-04 shifter.
While youre at it you should get it geared with nothing less than 4.??'s
Also when you swap out the pinion flange you should have the rear end rebuilt as when the tension on the Pinion nut is messed with you will prolly get a horrible howling from the rear end.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
6 gears rocks.

I opted for the 3.73. Works out real nice for me.

KingCobra10Sec

Project Cobra R in Progre
Established Member
03-04 Drive shaft.
03-04 Pinion flange.
The Bellhousing is not seperable from the T-56.
03-04 shifter.
While youre at it you should get it geared with nothing less than 4.??'s
Also when you swap out the pinion flange you should have the rear end rebuilt as when the tension on the Pinion nut is messed with you will prolly get a horrible howling from the rear end.

Bellhousing is a seperate piece.

My Setup
I got a used T56 Tranny from (Silvercoffin) 600.00
Got to built with a 26Spline from hanlon Motorsports 1075.00
Pinion Flange (FORDSVTPARTS) dont remember but cheap 18.95
T56 Bellhousing 230.00
T56 Crossmember 175.00
03-04 Cobra Driveshaft 300.00
MGW Short Throw Shifter 165.00
Shift Knob 30.00

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I have 4.30s with mine and wish I had some lower gears. I think the 00R spec has the lowest gears we can get. You'll need a pigtail to switch the reverse lockout solenoid too. Most guys wire it to a switch or to the brake. You can manually override the solenoid, but it gets old.

TcM-668

I think the reverse lockout is a GM version thing. I don't remember having to deal with that on my R. Its a great trans, and yes the bellhousing is removable.

Good Luck on the swap...

RoyWoods

Established Member
I think the reverse lockout is a GM version thing. I don't remember having to deal with that on my R. Its a great trans, and yes the bellhousing is removable.

Good Luck on the swap...

Actually, it was probably programmed into your PCM. If they don't come from the factory with the T-56 they'll need a switch of some sort.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Actually, it was probably programmed into your PCM. If they don't come from the factory with the T-56 they'll need a switch of some sort.

I have the lockout solenoid powered from the brake which has a switch in between the 2 points so that it will only power the solenoid when the switch is in the on position.

Found a real nice factory looking switch at radio shack and fit it next to the cigarette lighter input.

TripleBlackVert

Meh whatever!
Established Member
uh, yes it is.

Thats part of what makes the T-56 so great.

You slap the bellhousing on the motor first, and then the tranny slides right in.

Yeah thats right...
When I swapped back to the 3650 it was a pita to rock the front of the engine to get the trans back in.
Also I just kept the stock crossmember and scooted it back 1 hole and drilled new holes for the rear 2 bolts.
As for the lockout sel i just put a blockoff plate there and did without it.

TcM-668

I went to the local HW store and got a couple 6 in long bolts, same thread as the BH bolts. Cut the heads off, cut slots in and used them to guide the tranny onto the BH. Made life a whole lot easier to install the trans.

cobraracer46

Banned
I only needed a floor jack to support the trans and the T56 slid right in. No special tools or tricks were needed. Installing a T56 is so much easier than a T45 or TR360, especially on a car with long tubes. The removable bellhousing on the T56 eliminates all of the installation head aces that come with the T45 and TR3650. I remember having a hell of a time installing the original TR3650 in my long tube equipped Cobra while the car was on a on a lift and just how easy and hassle free it was to install my new T56 Viper trans while working on the ground with the car on jack stands!

Users who are viewing this thread