T56 swap into an 02 GT

howie8124

Established Member
So as the title says I'm doing a six speed swap with my car and I just want some feed back from people who have done the work. I'm looking for anything I should be looking for or special things I need to do during the swap. All I know so far is that I have to wire out the reverse lockout on its own. I'll be replacing the TOB and sleeve because I've read up on those and heard they're the weakest point of the transmission. I bought this from my tuner who did the swap for an older gentleman who went auto in his car but the clutch in there was centre force. Not sure if I should reuse it or not at this point. Mileage on trans is 49k, clutch mileage is unknown. The only other thing I'm curious about is the driveshaft. Do I need to have mine cut? Figuring there is a sizing difference between the stock and the cobras.

If anyone has any input on this please pass it along as I'll be pulling my old one next weekend and getting ready to put the t56 in shortly after.

KLeech

2V FTW
Established Member
I read into doing a t-56 a lot before deciding to go with a built t45. I found this thread that Jazzer put up to be something that really had lots of good info in it all at once. It's worth a read, and has some good pictures to stare at as well.

T-3650 ~ T-56 swap with complete instructions - MustangForums.com

The factory 10 spline input shaft on the t-56's like any other stock 10 spline trans is another weak point. Something you may consider upgrading before putting it in, however that would mean a new clutch also. From what I read the install seems to be rather straightforward. Are you planning to drill new mounting holes in your trans crossmember or plan to buy a cobra one? They also sell the pigtail connectors you'll need for the wiring needs when doing the install. If you don't have a crossmember and wiring pigtails I do that I don't need and will sell them to you cheap :beer:

There was a lot of good info out there about swapping one into a GT, so I'm sure with some quick google searches you'll be able to find anything you need, since you know this isnt the most traffic heavy section on here. Good luck!

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
find a driveshaft from an 03/04 cobra. Much easier than having yours cut, rebalanced and all that other shit.

I'd personally do a 26 spline input shaft upgrade, while everything is out.

Why are you doing this swap if you are selling the car?

howie8124

Established Member
It's for sale but I'm not pressured to sell it so while I have it I'm making it how I want it.

Users who are viewing this thread