T56 over haul vs. new & general clutch/ transmission questions? I'm looking for Tranny shop recomendation around New Hampshire?

mike69440

Established Member
I am having my street driven 600 RWHP Whipple Cobra being rebuilt since I cracked a few piston rings last year. Mostly babied, (like mostly peaceful) 107,000 miles.

So, I will be going thru the transmission soon.

Recommendation’s welcome.

Looking for shop recommendation around New Hampshire? Someone with a wealth of experience in T56.

Wanting to upgrade to 26 Spline and as the OEM Clutch could have probably gone 125K, I don’t think I need to go to a twin disc.

So what is a sturdy single plate smooth street clutch?

I would consider going with this, if the overhaul got stupid expensive.

What can a used stock t56 bring for $$$$?

Nothing really major wrong with the unit, just starting to shift hard and slow.

MG0h3

Established Member
Hanlon Motorsports.

I’m in Texas and if/when my magnum needs a rebuild that’s where it’s going.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

mike69440

Established Member
MG0h3

"I’m in Texas and if/when my magnum needs a rebuild that’s where it’s going."
That's saying something!

Thanks, I'll call

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
find a tremec dealer on their website and have them rebuild it for you. there are only a handful of them in each state. in nh you might have to travel to boston or something.

LV_Ford_Fan

Established Member
I went through the rebuilt vs new Magnum decision and the cost of two way shipping and repair cost vs the Lethal kit and I decided to go wit the Magnum kit. I am still working on my Magnum install. I am using a single disc clutch, but I am still having to grind the fork and such so don't under estimate that part of the work. I know others have not had to grind much or had no issues.

I am not sure what I am going to do with my old T56. It has about 28K miles on it, but damage was done when the input snout broke and the transmission started making a terrible load knocking noise. I will probably post something later that I have an T56, driveshaft (new U-Joints), stock cross mount, barely used MGW, etc.

I am really looking forward to the smooth shifting of the Magnum.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I went through the rebuilt vs new Magnum decision and the cost of two way shipping and repair cost vs the Lethal kit and I decided to go wit the Magnum kit. I am still working on my Magnum install. I am using a single disc clutch, but I am still having to grind the fork and such so don't under estimate that part of the work. I know others have not had to grind much or had no issues.

I am not sure what I am going to do with my old T56. It has about 28K miles on it, but damage was done when the input snout broke and the transmission started making a terrible load knocking noise. I will probably post something later that I have an T56, driveshaft (new U-Joints), stock cross mount, barely used MGW, etc.

I am really looking forward to the smooth shifting of the Magnum.
Depending on what you end up wanting for it I might know someone interested in your T-56.

mike69440

Established Member
Depending on what you end up wanting for it I might know someone interested in your T-56.
Thanks for the info. Is the 800 HP RXT McCleod a Slick shifting set-up? Years ago, I had one in my 69 Charger, There was a lot of pedal travel to disengage, and I think a bit of clutch drag. It was smooth and held the toque howerver. (Only 513 Lbs-Ft )

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Thanks for the info. Is the 800 HP RTX McCleod a Slick shifting set-up? Years ago, I had one in my 69 Charger, There was a lot of pedal travel to disengage, and I think a bit of clutch drag. It was smooth and held the toque howerver. (Only 513 Lbs-Ft )
I'm going to guess you meant to quote someone else. But I have the RXT in my car. It does have a high engagement point, but I have the Steeda pedal stop to put it in a better place. I don't have any clutch drag. If you do it's an adjustment issue. I've been stuck in traffic many times with my set up and it's bad at all. I finally went with thr MGW comfort handle and it's a nice driving set up that I can bang the gears with when I'm around my friends.

MG0h3

Established Member
Thanks for the info. Is the 800 HP RXT McCleod a Slick shifting set-up? Years ago, I had one in my 69 Charger, There was a lot of pedal travel to disengage, and I think a bit of clutch drag. It was smooth and held the toque howerver. (Only 513 Lbs-Ft )

RXT is awesome.

Had the regular RXT in my car for like 8yrs or something.

Upgraded to the 1200 version a few yrs ago.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

MG0h3

Established Member
What's the pedal feel on that 1200 like? I'm getting a list together for future upgrades and want to keep it comfortable for street driving like my RST is.

1200 is def heavier than the regular. Nothing I’d call outrageous but my RXT was barely heavier than my 02’ Focus.

I also shortened the pivot ball which would’ve taken some leverage away, making the pedal heavier.

Wouldn’t hesitate to run another 1200.

muscleatsrice

Established Member
I am having my street driven 600 RWHP Whipple Cobra being rebuilt since I cracked a few piston rings last year. Mostly babied, (like mostly peaceful) 107,000 miles.

So, I will be going thru the transmission soon.

Recommendation’s welcome.

Looking for shop recommendation around New Hampshire? Someone with a wealth of experience in T56.

Wanting to upgrade to 26 Spline and as the OEM Clutch could have probably gone 125K, I don’t think I need to go to a twin disc.

So what is a sturdy single plate smooth street clutch?

I would consider going with this, if the overhaul got stupid expensive.

What can a used stock t56 bring for $$$$?

Nothing really major wrong with the unit, just starting to shift hard and slow.

I had Hanlon rebuild a tko-600. Did a great job, and great people to deal with. This was about 10 years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread