T56 or 4R70w?

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
Im torn between getting an auto or getting the six speed. Generally I havent liked automatic cars. They just felt so grandma to me. But from what I hear thats the way to go. My stock tranny is coming out sometime. If I bought a stock 4r70w tranny, what would I need to do to it and how much?

99MustangGTman

Stick Shift The World!
Established Member
Dude T56 for sure. Auto is great for consistancy at the track, but it takes all the fun out of driving on the street.

Beat em' with a stick!

meaty mac

IDK what I want now
Established Member
I guess it all depends on your intended purpose as well as the power. you know yourself that at a certain power level an automatic will not only be consistant, but consistantly quicker as well. especially thru the first 2 or 3 gears.
Being the owner of two Bullitts, i obviously love to row thru the gears like the next guy, but i will say this-
A. My Beast is getting an auto (after the NOS install)
B. Your setup (turbo w auto) would make for a pretty sick ride. especially if you get it equipped with a trans brake :beer:

Zoie_daGT

Established Member
Personally, I would go manual all the way. TKO or T56, whatever you like. Yes, the auto may be better for the track but, I would still keep the manual. The decision is yours so make sure you are happy w/ what you choose.

y2k2gt

2V PoWereD
Established Member
Automatic for sure. Get a manual valve body and you will still have to row through the gears. More and more people are swapping the the autos.

KduncSS

Ille qui nos omnes servab
Established Member
If your wanting to win some races, on the strip or street, then get a built auto. If you want a fun street car go with the T56. Im not saying you wont win races with the 6speed. But a built auto car > 90% of the drivers out there.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
If your wanting to win some races, on the strip or street, then get a built auto. If you want a fun street car go with the T56. Im not saying you wont win races with the 6speed. But a built auto car > 90% of the drivers out there.

Yea well I just dont like how my cruising gears are with the 5 speed. Theyre perfectly setup for racing though cause my 4th pulls hard from 60mph. I just want that extra gear for cruising on the highway. Im a pretty good driver, but I know I cant keep up with an auto car making the same power as me. Im not sure if it would be good on the street though. I dont go to the dragstrip that much. Would it be a whole lot more work to convert everything to the auto?

y2k2gt

2V PoWereD
Established Member
Yea well I just dont like how my cruising gears are with the 5 speed. Theyre perfectly setup for racing though cause my 4th pulls hard from 60mph. I just want that extra gear for cruising on the highway. Im a pretty good driver, but I know I cant keep up with an auto car making the same power as me. Im not sure if it would be good on the street though. I dont go to the dragstrip that much. Would it be a whole lot more work to convert everything to the auto?

Going wot from about 54mph and letting off at 90mph.
http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t165/y2k2gt/?action=view&current=100_2790.flv
This was with 15psi and I guessing 600rwhp+.
My car is at the track every chance I get when it is running. If you don't see the track that much, then even a 3650 will be ok. I made tons of passes at the track with my stock 3650 when the car made 600rwhp. If I was spending the money on a new transmission it would be the automatic.

Last edited:

zo6man

hi guys nice rides. need some help. son inlaw has 99gt. just put in rebuilt 4.6 .ran it for one week now it will not go into reverse. any help would be deeply apreciated.thank you zo6man.

LS1PUSSOUT

Banned
hi guys nice rides. need some help. son inlaw has 99gt. just put in rebuilt 4.6 .ran it for one week now it will not go into reverse. any help would be deeply apreciated.thank you zo6man.

Well if its just grinding whenever you try to get into reverse then it could either be the synchros going bad or it could be a clutch issue. Mine does the same thing and its just the tranny going bad. I have to cut the car off just to get it into reverse then I start it back up and go.

SVT2122

Established Member
My take on this subject, I have a lightning that runs low/mid 12's and a stock GT. I get more pleasure driving the GT than my truck. Automatic is great for the track, but other than that, its so boring. The thought of selling my truck to have a KB 2v with a T56 is going through my head more and more.

y2k2gt

2V PoWereD
Established Member
I have to shift every gear manually. I just don't have to lift or worry about a clutch.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
go with a built auto. Built autos are way more fun than manuals. Besides you can always throw a B&M pro Ratchet shifter in there with a manual valve body and your set!

LOVESBOOST

Established Member
how much are you goin to be at the track versus how much time on the street?

I drove my boys turbo'd car at the track with a trans brake, and let me tell you something, I thought my head was goin to explode, hahaha, so for a track car then yes built auto without a doubt

But if your doing mostly cruising then I would stick with the 6spd, more fun and easier to drive. My boys car also had MVB, and I drove it on the street some, it sucked ass for that kind of driving

Users who are viewing this thread