T56 noise after clutch/26 spline install

mrspeedy69

W.O.R.D.
Established Member
I installed an RXT and a 26 spline along with new TOB, TOB Retainer sleeve, and Pilot bearing. I shimmed the 26 spline and had 0 movement. I've only put about 60 miles on it so far as well so maybe it's normal.

But here is what I'm hearing. Everything seems to drive fine and I don't get too much clutch chatter. But let's say I'm slowing down for a turn and I go from 3rd to 2nd. I hear a higher pitched whine when I try to down shift. It goes into gear just fine. Doesn't do this when it's in neutral, only in gear while rolling. Also I have cobra bob gaskets, but I didn't replace them when I did the clutch. So maybe they need to be replaced, I wasn't sure if they were reusable.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Unless the gaskets are torn they shouldn't need to be replaced. If it didn't make the noise before I'd say something is off. How did you check the shimming of the input shaft?

And I know it sounds dumb to ask, but how much fluid did you put in?

mrspeedy69

W.O.R.D.
Established Member
I checked the movement with a dial indicator on the end of the shaft. It did not move at all. I put just over 4qts in. Had someone fill from the top until it started coming out of the fill plug just like before. However, I did switch to Amsoil Synchromesh this time. I was running Royal Purple Synchromesh before.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Maybe it's the fluid. I only asked because a while after I bought my car 3rd started whining. When I drained the fluid to check for glitter I found only about a quart in the trans. My fault for not checking sooner. Beyond some extra preload on the input shaft or the different fluid I can't see anything else suddenly changing and making the noise. Granted these aren't quiet transmissions to begin with.

mrspeedy69

W.O.R.D.
Established Member
It could be, I've heard good and bad about synchromesh so I dunno. I will say I have noticed the synchromesh, even the RP I had was real notchy until it warmed up some. I've debated just going ATF.

I will say honestly I don't remember it making noise like this before. However, I haven't driven the car in 6 months and I'd have the radio on and everything before. Now I'm driving in silence so I could hear anything out of the norm. So could just be me in reality. I'll just keep driving it to break the clutch in and see what happens.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I ran basic ATF in my last couple of transmitters with no issues. I did the synchromesh just to see if it would quiet down 3rd gear.

I know what you mean about noticing noises all of a sudden. I went through my rear end recently and I'm noticing the gear whine more. I know it's a combination of me listening closer and not having the Bassani X pipe on anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread