T56 Magnum or Upgraded rebuild?

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Does PST have a better deal? I was quoted by DSS $1300+ for the CF/DS for Magnum.
I remember when these were going for 1k and I thought they where expensive :unsure:

MG0h3

Established Member
I’m using Hanlon motorsports if I ever need a rebuild for my Magnum

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I’ve bought many driveshafts and I prefer PST especially for CF. My last one (for Magnum XL and Strange 9” in S197) was $1000 shipped with an SFI sticker.
-J

IllCobra

Established Member
After doing a lot of reading on my own, I decided to just go with a T56 Magnum. They seem to work great for my power goals and I am not going to be out too much after I sell my original T56. I am keeping my original drive shaft and taking it to a shop so they can shorten it and install the chromoly yoke and 1350 u joints I bought.
After waiting for Black Friday week, I honestly don't think anyone does or offers discounts on T56 Magnums. From what I heard, there isn't much profit from suppliers to do so. The best you can do is get free shipping as someone mentioned. I ordered mine from a shop in NY that was able to custom order my Magnum from Tremec with the Viper spec 5th and 6th gear but with 1st still being 2.66 (actually 1-4 is stock Cobra gearing), I just wanted a nice hwy car. Should be nice doing 85mph in 6th and be under 2000 RPM. 5th and 6th are OD gears so I don't see a reason not to, we shouldn't be going WOT in them anyway.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
After doing a lot of reading on my own, I decided to just go with a T56 Magnum. They seem to work great for my power goals and I am not going to be out too much after I sell my original T56. I am keeping my original drive shaft and taking it to a shop so they can shorten it and install the chromoly yoke and 1350 u joints I bought.
After waiting for Black Friday week, I honestly don't think anyone does or offers discounts on T56 Magnums. From what I heard, there isn't much profit from suppliers to do so. The best you can do is get free shipping as someone mentioned. I ordered mine from a shop in NY that was able to custom order my Magnum from Tremec with the Viper spec 5th and 6th gear but with 1st still being 2.66 (actually 1-4 is stock Cobra gearing), I just wanted a nice hwy car. Should be nice doing 85mph in 6th and be under 2000 RPM. 5th and 6th are OD gears so I don't see a reason not to, we shouldn't be going WOT in them anyway.
If you still have the stock 3.55's you might end up regretting that decision. These are small engines and don't like being under 2k. Its going to lug unless you're on flat roads. A buddy of mine did the .5 6th gear with 3.73's and hated it. He said it was always in boost to get the power or he had to down shift a lot.

IllCobra

Established Member
If you still have the stock 3.55's you might end up regretting that decision. These are small engines and don't like being under 2k. Its going to lug unless you're on flat roads. A buddy of mine did the .5 6th gear with 3.73's and hated it. He said it was always in boost to get the power or he had to down shift a lot.
I'm in central and east FL. all we have are flat roads lol
On none hwy roads here I set my cruise control and the car feels fine under 2000rpm... i dont really see it being an issue, but I'll let you know for sure when the magnum goes in.

IllCobra

Established Member
Wait, now I am curious - so you never just lug your car around under 2000 rpm?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Wait, now I am curious - so you never just lug your car around under 2000 rpm?
Nope. It doesn't like it at all. I'm pretty sure we've had this conversation a couple times. These engines aren't happy under 2k.

Last edited:

IllCobra

Established Member
Nope. It doesn't like it at all. I'm pretty sure we've had this conversation a couple times. These engines aren't happy under 2k.
I had no idea... I've never noticed the car acting weird under 2k. But again, that may be because I am in flat Florida... also cruise control is my friend on the hwy. We will see

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I had no idea... I've never noticed the car acting weird under 2k. But again, that may be because I am in flat Florida... also cruise control is my friend on the hwy. We will see
I use cruise control a lot as well. And I cruise at 80-85 depending on what friends I'm with. I'm in California so I'm not always dealing with hills or mountains.

I guess it's just something you're going to have to figure out. Hopefully it works out for you.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I’ve bought many driveshafts and I prefer PST especially for CF. My last one (for Magnum XL and Strange 9” in S197) was $1000 shipped with an SFI sticker.
-J
I went to their website and couldn't find any thing related to driveshaft's?

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Lethal performance sells the T56 magnum as a kit with DS, there shipping isn't cheap! American Muscle, LMR, and Beefcake racing also sell the T56 Magnum, they are all in the same price range LMR seemed to be the most reasonable in shipping, but as you stated there aren't any black Friday deals or discounts being offered on them.

IllCobra

Established Member
Lethal performance sells the T56 magnum as a kit with DS, there shipping isn't cheap! American Muscle, LMR, and Beefcake racing also sell the T56 Magnum, they are all in the same price range LMR seemed to be the most reasonable in shipping, but as you stated there aren't any black Friday deals or discounts being offered on them.
You can get just the transmission from Lethal. And their $3,300 price tag is with shipping included. But why don't you guys save some coin and just use your stock DS? The cheapest I've seen a drive shaft for a magnum on the cobras is $800. You can get your stock DS shortened and upgraded with a chromoly 31 spline yoke and 1350 u joints for around $350

Stage 4.6

Established Member
You can get just the transmission from Lethal. And their $3,300 price tag is with shipping included. But why don't you guys save some coin and just use your stock DS? The cheapest I've seen a drive shaft for a magnum on the cobras is $800. You can get your stock DS shortened and upgraded with a chromoly 31 spline yoke and 1350 u joints for around $350
My local tuner/mechanic had said the same thing. It is an option. I'm liking the benefits of the CF DS especially in the NVH area.

IllCobra

Established Member
My local tuner/mechanic had said the same thing. It is an option. I'm liking the benefits of the CF DS especially in the NVH area.
What are the benefits? I just bought a magnum so I am still learning the best route to take while staying cost affective

Stage 4.6

Established Member
What are the benefits? I just bought a magnum so I am still learning the best route to take while staying cost affective
Well if you run your car it benefits from being Lighter, NVH, and if it does break, you wont have the risk of it busting up the undercarriage or doing any severe damage of the cab., cause it will most likely shatter.

Users who are viewing this thread