T56 Magnum and slip yoke deept

MineralCobra

Established Member
Hello everyone,

Installed my magnum T56 this weekend in 03 Cobra with IRS, and had my driveshaft shortned by an 1 1/2" as per D&D suggestion. Im using the sonnax slip yoke which is a really nice piece.

I dont like how much the yoke shaft is sticking out, with rear wheels off ground its 1.5" of yoke shaft exposed. Just looks too much. See attaches pic. The yoke shaft is 4.7" in lenght with 1.5" sticking out leaves about 3.2" on spline contact.

What do you guys think? Maybe a 1/2" spacer on diff end so I dont have to redo another shaft?

MineralCobra

Established Member
20181007_103742-756x1008.jpg

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
Typically you bottom it out in the trans and then pull it back 1" so you can remove the shaft later on if need be. but that's with the car weight on the rear suspension.

You at a 1 1/2" maybe once you put rear end weight on it. It will sag it a little?

MineralCobra

Established Member
Typically you bottom it out in the trans and then pull it back 1" so you can remove the shaft later on if need be. but that's with the car weight on the rear suspension.

You at a 1 1/2" maybe once you put rear end weight on it. It will sag it a little?

I was hoping the same but it dosnt seem like it changed much.. I couldnt crawl under with measuring tape but from a cell phone pic still looked alot.. I might go on a drive on life to double check.

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
Yeah a drive on lift would be so nice. Maybe go on CL and try and find some of those cheap plastic ramps. Or maybe a set of old school metal ones.

I would think it's ok. But I would also call around to DS shops and ask a couple more people that you know for piece of mind. I guess it's on how you look at that 1/2"?

03' White Snake

Established Member
IRS Diff is hard mounted, doesn't change with suspension load.

I installed my magnum, measured from tail shaft to diff, gave that number to the driveshaft shop and had mine shortened. Not sure by how much. I have maybe 1/2" -3/4" of the shaft showing to the radius on the yoke. So you are a little short but not too bad, seems ok to me.

You need some room to slide the yoke into the trans and get the driveshaft onto the flange.

MineralCobra

Established Member
IRS Diff is hard mounted, doesn't change with suspension load.

I installed my magnum, measured from tail shaft to diff, gave that number to the driveshaft shop and had mine shortened. Not sure by how much. I have maybe 1/2" -3/4" of the shaft showing to the radius on the yoke. So you are a little short but not too bad, seems ok to me.

You need some room to slide the yoke into the trans and get the driveshaft onto the flange.

unfortunately I did not have the transmission when I had the shaft shortened. Tranny delivered on Friday and I wanted to install in during the weekend, so had the shaft shortned ealier in week.

Your 1/2" -3/4" seems spot on. Thats what my stock one looked like.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Call D&D and ask, but good chance you're within spec.
Do you race the car? Unless you're doing hard drag launches, I'd bet you're fine.
Let us know what they say.
-J

shurur

Established Member
I am surprised that the t56 magnum needs a shorter ds than the regular t56.
Usual 3/4" is all the slop you want; So terminator 43.5" should have been fine...

Users who are viewing this thread