T56 Input Shaft Lateral Play

SilverGT1

Established Member
I am installing a used T56. The end play looks OK as far a I can tell. Very, very minute in-out end play (almost undetectable with out an indicator) . However, there is a fair amount of lateral side to side / up and down movement. As best I can measure with my McGyver'ed digital indicator, there is about 0.015" of play.

I have looked at loads of posts on the web. As you would expect for the T56, mostly from various GM forums. I can find everything from "it is irrelevant" to "bearings are shot".

The general consensus though seems that on a T56, this type of movement is normal and as long as the end play is in spec, all is well.

But, I can not find anything that actually specifies this. Even my workshop service manual only calls out the spec for the in - out end play.

If you have a professional opinion, I would should like to hear it.

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i have always noticed a lot of lateral play on both my transmissions' input shafts when i do my clutches and tob's. i don't think that it is a very important measurement. mine is not a professional opinion, but both of my t-56's were rebuilt/upgraded by my local tremec dealer many years ago, and both have a lot of miles both of them without issues.

as you say, the measurement isn't specified in the manual, and also i think that the input shaft is secured laterally by the pilot bearing.

from what i understand though, the end play measurement is very important and you can burn up your input shaft quickly if there is too much end play.

SilverGT1

Established Member
Thanks for the feedback. It is just interesting to know. FWIW, I have a TR3650 that I checked when I checked the T56 today. It has very, very little lateral play or end play. I know, completely different transmission but that is just another thing that gave me concern.

Users who are viewing this thread