T56-Cobra with a 26 spline input shaft!

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
It's not the splines that are breaking, it's the shaft that they are part of. The shaft is much narrower (thinner) that the other ones, Viper, for example.
Look at the photos on page 3 of this thread.

Dana

Roush97

Established Member
The inner part of the shaft doesn't look that much thinner. Is it possibly made of a cheaper metal? I mean this is Ford we are talking about.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Roush97
The inner part of the shaft doesn't look that much thinner. Is it possibly made of a cheaper metal? I mean this is Ford we are talking about.

The GM shaft has a quarter size solid shaft in comparision to the Ford shaft that only has a dime size solid shaft. That is a very big difference.

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
Originally posted by Roush97
I guess the picture is deceiving.

Yes, I use to have a better picture from coop that actually had a picture of a Ford shaft next to a dime and a GM shaft next to a quarter that was much better illustration of the difference.

dougwg

Established Member

JB

beautiful loser
Established Member
Originally posted by dougwg
I got those pic's at the shop... I'll post them later today

Doug (don't take my sandwich OR my picture!) to the rescue :beer:

Last edited:

dougwg

Established Member
Ok guys…

A guy that goes by the screen name of sn8kbite brought up a very good point…

If we install a stronger input shaft then the Haft shafts will go next! (Amazon Racing has taken care of this with they’re new heavy duty units)

After the haft shafts are upgraded we must then look back to the trans for the next weak point… specifically the output shaft(main shaft).

I talked to my guy and he said “No problem” so I had him install a 31 spline output shaft in the trans, replacing the stock, weak 28 spline output shaft.

So here is what all we had done:

New input shaft (26spline)
New output shaft (31spline)
New rear seal (for the 31spline)
New slip yoke (for the 31spline)
Professionally installed with a warranty

I was also assured that this “Upgraded Trans” will handle anything the Viper T-56 can.

Approx cost of upgrading your Trans will be $1250.00 + shipping of coarse.

Given that the other guys want to sell you a whole new trans for $2500.00 that’s a savings of about $1250.00(money for wheels and slicks?!?!?!)

Remember…. This is not a core…. butYOUR TRANS for your Cobra…. Just a lot stronger!

Hope This Helps!

Also,
JB’s trans is done and we will be putting it in tonight along with his new SPEC 3 Clutch setup……

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Hey Doug,
While this guy is in there reinforcing everything, can he do something to make the trans shift easier/smoother? Anything that can be done to the syncros and still have it streetable? Or the shift rails? Anything?
I have put 4,000 miles on this thing and I still don't like how it shifts. I don't think there is anything wrong with the trans, it's just the way it was designed.

One more question:
When the new input shaft is installed, can you just pull the front of the trans off, leaving the main and counter shafts in place inside the case, swap out the input shaft in the front cover and slap the thing back together? Or do you have to disassemble the entire trans?
Is the bearing in between the input shaft and the main shaft caged or loose bearings. In other words, if I just pull the front off with the trans standing on its tailshaft, are all the bearings going to come out with the input shaft or am I going to have to find 50 needle bearings in the inside of the case?

Thanks,
Dana

Bosko

Established Member
Dougwg-- Whos parts did your trans guy use? Are they just standard GM/Mopar parts? Or aftermarket tranny parts? I would like to gather all the parts and drop it all of at trans shop..

dougwg

Established Member
While this guy is in there reinforcing everything, can he do something to make the trans shift easier/smoother?

The best thin that I have heard of, is using “GM syncromesh” and a small bottle of friction modifier.

Anything that can be done to the syncros and still have it streetable? Or the shift rails? Anything?

Nothing that I know of.

I have put 4,000 miles on this thing and I still don't like how it shifts. I don't think there is anything wrong with the trans, it's just the way it was designed.

GM syncromesh

One more question:
When the new input shaft is installed, can you just pull the front of the trans off, leaving the main and counter shafts in place inside the case, swap out the input shaft in the front cover and slap the thing back together?

I dont no notting bout no transes :)

Or do you have to disassemble the entire trans?

I believe so.

Is the bearing in between the input shaft and the main shaft caged or loose bearings?

I believe it is caged

In other words, if I just pull the front off with the trans standing on its tailshaft, are all the bearings going to come out with the input shaft or am I going to have to find 50 needle bearings in the inside of the case?

I’ll PM you a phone number to call and ask…

dougwg

Established Member
Originally posted by Bosko
Dougwg-- Whos parts did your trans guy use? Are they just standard GM/Mopar parts? Or aftermarket tranny parts? I would like to gather all the parts and drop it all of at trans shop..

If you have a trans shop that you have been going to for all your other work and you trust them and they are willing to work on a T-56... I'm sure we will have a "Kit" available soon.

Users who are viewing this thread