T56 ATF Question

POISNUS04

Established Member
i have been running Amsoil ATF for a couple thousand miles since I bought the car. It does have MGW shifter. I noticed a slightly smoother shift when running amsoil but not sure what fluid was in there before. My guess was it was factory as the car had 15,000 miles on it when I bought it.

Stage 4.6

Established Member
New cobra owner here, mine has 23,xxx miles with Fidenza clutch and flywheel 5k on setup original owner said he used RP always, didn't notice till recently but iam getting a lot of noise from the tranny tunnel? Shifts fine a little grind in 2nd when cold.
Why doesn't anyone use the Ford recommended ATF?

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
RP synco to Amsoil here.. Big difference in cold and warm weather shifting on my T56 magnum..

Termn8ur

Established Member
Thanks for all of the responses guys!!

After thinking it over for a period of time, reading all of your responses and performing more forum/google searches, I have decided to go with the Amsoil ATF that I already have... If, after clutch break-in, I'm not satisfied with the performance/feel, I will then swap over to the RP Synchromax.

I already have an MGW shifter in the car, did the Anti-Venom mod(can't hurt, right? lol) while doing the clutch/input shaft swap and now with the Amsoil it should be nice and smooth...I hope! Once I get everything buttoned up, I'll post up how it turns out.

Last edited:

Stage 4.6

Established Member
Thanks for all of the responses guys!!

I already have an MGW shifter in the car, did the Anti-Venom mod(can't hurt, right? lol) while doing the clutch/input shaft swap and now with the Amsoil it should be nice and smooth...I hope! Once I get everything buttoned up, I'll post up how it turns out.

What is the anti-venom mod? and where do you purchase the Amsoil ATF?

asierra1

Established Member
The anti venom mod info can be found in a thread labeled "want smoother shifts? Try this." As far as amsoil purchasing, the easiest thing would be going to Napa. They're the only parts house that sells it, but you'll pay their retail price. You could also find someone who is a dealer. I sell the stuff, so if you'd like, pm me for pricing. I charge all svtp members my cost plus shipping and pp fees. :beer:

sent from my phone while avoiding NCOs

Termn8ur

Established Member
What is the anti-venom mod? and where do you purchase the Amsoil ATF?

The anti-venom mod is simply 2 washers usedto space out a bolt on the drivers side of the tranny. All the info can be found in the thread stated above.

I bought my Amsoil through UnleashedBeast a while back. There are numerous people on here that sell it, like asierra1, and the pricing can usually be had for less than retail. The only hassle is the shipping, no "instant gratification" when buying Amsoil.

While I'm at it, I'll give a little update. Got the tranny finished up and drove it down the road Friday night. The transmission shifts nice and smooth now. So, for the cash outlay, I would recommend the anti-venom mod if the tranny is already out for another reason. The mgw, Amsoil, anti-venom mod and the Bobs shifter gasket combo works nicely together...I'm also liking the ProMotion clutch. It drives like a different car! Now I have to replace the electric fan( and flush the cooling system, install the riesche thermostat and the cooling mod...everything just snowballs out of control. :eek: lol!!) The stupid thing ran hot on me last night on it's maiden voyage with all of the new parts. I just can't catch a break...

Stage 4.6

Established Member
I know how you feel on not catching a break, I hope everything works out for you.

I bought mine a month ago with only 23,xxx on the clock did my research here trying to learn as much as possible about the Cobra for almost a year before purchasing with in days I here rattling in my trans tunnel moaning that i've been told is the input shaft not lubed properly? but the car supposedly on has 5k on a new Fidenza clutch and flywheel? I thought I be able to enjoy it a little before I start investing in it :shrug:

thank you for the info and update!

RED03SVT

Established Member
I am a big supporter of Amsoil. Have a preferred account and put all their fluids in the cobra including ATF. About a month ago the output shaft seal cracked so had to replace tranny fluid. Decided to give RP Synchromax a shot. Granted it was twice the price it was well worth it. It really is a lot smoother than Amsoil ATF. When it warms up it shifts like butter and I could really tell the difference. As others have stated Amsoil feels the same regardless of temp where RP isn't as smooth when it's cold. In the first 5 min of driving you can sometimes feel the contact of the synchros as you shift into gear. The smoothness outweighs the cold issue for me though and will be sticking to RP for tranny fluid.

Users who are viewing this thread