T56 Antivenom Mod 03 Cobra.

GodStang

Established Member
This is a mod that has been out there for years and its super easy and quick just hate I waited this long to do it. It helps with better shifting when installing an aftermarket shifter.

P/N: 65277 Copper Washers
Socket: 12 point 15/16"
Anti-Seize Compound
Torque to 30 ft/lbs per Ford Manual.

I picked up a pack of two copper washers P/N 65277 for $7 shipped off amazon since none of my local auto parts stores had any. If you can get them from your store they are less than $2.

IMG_1802.jpg

The Shift Detent bolt is towards the back of the transmission on the passenger side. It is a 15/16" socket. Using a 12 point made it easier:

IMG_186212.jpg

IMG_18621.jpg

We removed it and cleaned the threads. This is what it looks like:

IMG_1864.jpg

Here are the two copper washers placed on it before reinstalling. We put anti-seize on it and torqued to 30 ft/lbs per Ford Manual.

IMG_1866.jpg

I have to say it is a really nice mod and the shifter does feel much better.

M240Bravo

Established Member
never heard of this, might have to do this if I ever get my cobra out again.

olympic

Established Member
Is this something I should consider on a Magnum? Mines out right now so it would be easy to do.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Did mine years ago and made a huge difference. Sucker is kind of a PITA to get to. Did mine on a lift.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Were you able to get to it with a shorty socket? My car is on jack stands again so I might attempt this.

GodStang

Established Member
Were you able to get to it with a shorty socket? My car is on jack stands again so I might attempt this.

Crap I meant to take a picture of the tools. We use a 8" - 3/8" breaker bar. A 3/8" to 1/2" reducer (smaller to bigger) and a normal size 15/16" socket. it fit in just fine except had to work around the exhaust. I have 3" pipes so if you have 2.5" it will have more room.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Crap I meant to take a picture of the tools. We use a 8" - 3/8" breaker bar. A 3/8" to 1/2" reducer (smaller to bigger) and a normal size 15/16" socket. it fit in just fine except had to work around the exhaust. I have 3" pipes so if you have 2.5" it will have more room.
I have to work around the back cats since I put the stock mid pipe back on.

BLOWN9646

E85 COBRA
Established Member
Couple questions. Why 12pt socket and not 6? and why adapter instead of just using 1/2" drive ?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Is this something I should consider on a Magnum? Mines out right now so it would be easy to do.
Same question. If your Magnum is out, can you check it?
You do this mod on T56s with stock or aftermarket shifter?
I have a stock Tremec 6060 in the garage but it’s a remote mount shifter.
The Magnum XL in car is direct mount shifter.
-J

GodStang

Established Member
Couple questions. Why 12pt socket and not 6? and why adapter instead of just using 1/2" drive ?

So I was super lazy and put it on the lift and worked from there removing nothing else. 12pt let you move in smaller increments and the adapter I chose just helped with angle and distance. I was working between the tunnel and transmission so space is limited. If you drop the transmission some or remove the exhaust or have it completely out then 6-pt with and 1/2" would be perfect.

Same question. If your Magnum is out, can you check it? If you have a short throw and it has a notchy movement then this is worth trying.
You do this mod on T56s with stock or aftermarket shifter? Aftermarket shifter (I have MGW Orange)
I have a stock Tremec 6060 in the garage but it’s a remote mount shifter. I know some have done it on the TR6060.
The Magnum XL in car is direct mount shifter.
-J

big dad

Established Member
Just remove or unbolt the rear trans crossmember, that will give you additional clearance, that's what I did. The trans will lower enough.

351stang

Beast ZL1
Established Member
What is what? It tells you in the first sentence what it is. It is a mod to help with notchiness that some people have with aftermarket shifters.

Thanks! What is the part that was modded, reverse switch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GodStang

Established Member
Just remove or unbolt the rear trans crossmember, that will give you additional clearance, that's what I did. The trans will lower enough.

Yes this would be the smart way. We chose the lazy way even with it on lift and transmission jack 3 feet away.

Users who are viewing this thread