T56 and D4 ATF - a good match

Cobra'03

Established Member
I drained and added two qts of RedLine D4 ATF the other day. D4 is an advanced ATF using polyol ester Group V base stocks. It is formulated to meet the proposed Dexron 4 specs, which means it exceeds Dex III and Mercon V. All the new ATF's have improved wear protection and flow performance at low temps, and in auto trannies eliminate the dreaded "shudder", which is caused when adjacent materials are spinning at different speeds when they should be in synch.

The T56 really likes this lube. Shifting was slicker, very positive, and I swear that the 1st gear buzz/whine was reduced a bit (is it the input bearing design I wonder?). TTC recommends Dexron III, so a higher performing ATF is sure to be completely compatible, undetctable to warranty snoops, while the strength of the ester-based D4 should provide exceptionally long service life and wear protection. Well worth it - highly recommended.

Oh - before you respond and say the tranny takes 3.8L, keep in mind that that is the dry fill spec - a lot of fluid stays in the tranny during a routine drain, so I may just redo this in a year or so so I end up with 80+% Red Line, rather than the 50% or so I have now. Could only get better.

ZXnVS

Established Member
I've never changed tranny fluid before. I assume the drain plug would be clearly visible if I crawled under my car, but where do you add the fresh fluid? Where's the dipstick? Was it quite a chore to do this?

Cobra'03

Established Member
Yup - drain is on passenger side, low,near back of tranny. Fill is driver side, about midships. Make sure you can loosen the fill first! Uses 3/8" square drive. It is not hard to drain/refill, but can be messy. Make sure the car is level or you won't get a proper fill level. There is no dipstick on these manual trannies - I have never seen one in fact on any manual. You will need a pump or syringe to do add the new fluid.

Cobra'03

Established Member
Originally posted by ZXnVS
A guy at a quick-lube place once told me that some manuals use the speedometer cable as a dipstick somehow...

Another validation of the Quick-Lube technicians are morons philosophy - any wonder most of us do it ourselves?

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
It would be really interesting to watch to see how they check the trans fluid level using the speedometer cable since Mustangs haven't had a speedometer cable for over 20 years.

Last edited:

ZXnVS

Established Member
Two clarifications:

1. I have never, and will never, let anyone else change the oil on my Cobra--I do it myself. I used to go to this place with my old car, which had an automatic.

2. He didn't say the Cobra (or Mustang) used this, he said "some cars with manual transmissions."

toofast4u

Versatilist
Established Member
1. I have never, and will never, let anyone else change the oil on my Cobra--I do it myself. I used to go to this place with my old car, which had an automatic.

Thats all that matters. Have fun with your new toy I am.

Users who are viewing this thread