T45 Bearing Retainer/ Tube Removal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Figured I'd let you guys know the secret to removing this thing, because I couldn't find any information ANYWHERE online.

First off, the symptoms.

I just put a new clutch in my car about 5000 miles ago, and recently my car has been squeaking. It sounded just like a bad throwout bearing. I was going to just let it be until winter then tear the transmission back out, but while I was driving I heard something metallic bounce around under my car. I thought I hit a washer or something laying in the street and kicked it into my wheelwell, but when I stopped and put the car in neutral, it studdered and the squeak turned into a horrible sounding rattle.

I got it home and pulled it in the garage. I got underneath my car and wiggled the clutch release fork, and it had a TON of play in it. That is how I knew the retainer bearing was bad.

Replacing it is pretty straightforward. I called Tousley and got a new retainer bearing, throwout bearing, and pilot bearing (approx $80). I wanted to do it all in one shot, because when the retainer bearing goes I imagine it will take out the throwout bearing too. The pilot bearing is just something easy and cheap that I do when the trans is out anyway.

There are plenty of write-ups on how to remove the transmission to replace the clutch, so follow those to get the tranny out. Then pull the transmission aside and remove your pivot ball with a socket. Once it's out, use a 1/2" socket and extension to remove the bolts inside the bellhousing. The bellhousing probably won't fall free, so give it a good whack with a rubber mallet and it'll seperate from the transmission case.

There are 2 bearings on the inside of the bellhousing that may fall off. Note how they sit in the bellhousing. They are beveled, and the bevel sits toward the rear of the transmission. You will need to remove the larger of the two bearings in order to replace the sleeve. I simply set the bellhousing on the ground, engine side down. Then pick it up, and tap it on the ground a few times. Do it on a T shirt or rag or something. The bearings will pop out of the bellhousing, and you'll then be able pound out the old retainer bearing. This is the part I couldn't find online. You have to set the bellhousing down with the engine side up. Use a socket just bigger than the hole, and pound the damn thing out. Don't be afraid to be rough with it. Note; there are two dowel pins on the transmission bellhousing. Don't bend these. I set the bellhousing on a 2x6 board with the dowel pins on each side so the bellhousing would sit flush.

Then, flip the bellhousing over engine side down and install your new retainer bearing. It may help to put a thin coat of grease on the retainer before tapping it back into place. Once it's in, don't forget to use a rubber mallet to tap the bearings back into the bellhousing, and bolt it back up. You may want to run a thin bead of RTV around the bellhousing to prevent leaks.

Now get that transmission put back in, and you're set. I hope this helps even one person, because it sucks trying to replace something and not knowing exactly how to do it :beer:.

luke87gt

Established Member
You are losing me on the retainer bearing?

I recall there is a T/O bearing, bearing retainer (steel preferred), and a pilot bearing.

What is the "retainer bearing" you are referring to?

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
You are losing me on the retainer bearing?

I recall there is a T/O bearing, bearing retainer (steel preferred), and a pilot bearing.

What is the "retainer bearing" you are referring to?

Bearing retainer... retainer bearing. I heard it called so many different things. The correct term is bearing retainer, and it's the metal piece that the input shaft runs through and that the throwout bearing slides on.

luke87gt

Established Member
Bearing retainer... retainer bearing. I heard it called so many different things. The correct term is bearing retainer, and it's the metal piece that the input shaft runs through and that the throwout bearing slides on.

Yup, I know on the foxes the stock one is aluminum and people typically upgrade to steel to keep it from getting chewed up.

With the T45, I am not sure if the stock one is aluminum (like thos foxes) or if they wised up and offered a steel retainer from the factory.

Anyone know?

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
I believe it was steel, but don't hold me to that.

luke87gt

Established Member
ya, you don't sound very confident, lol.
maybe someone else can chime in on this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread