T-rex in line fuel pump going out?

yellow98stang

Established Member
98 cobra w/ a v2 SQ kit w/ a 96-97 T-rex part #8F202-265

Drove to a cruise in yesterday about 15-20 miles away, and after getting off the hwy on the way back, the T-rex external in-line fuel pump was screaming much louder than the normal buzzing it has made since I bought the car in Nov. My buddy said could be bad gas and clogged it up, but is it going bad and should I just replace it before I get it tuned?

The t-rex is actually the bigger 255 LPH from the 96-97 kit part #8F202-265, not the 155 LPH that comes with the 98 specific kit...

Thanks,
Dan

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
My t-rex used to do that all the time. I had a 255 as well. It would go from quite to stupid loud. I never had any issues with it though. I'd say its' fine but if you're worried I'd get a Fuel psi gauge and see what it reads when it starts doing it.

yellow98stang

Established Member
Haha, ok...I didn't know if it had something to do with it getting hot out (85 degrees yesterday!) or what, but it wasn't that loud until yesterday so I got concerned.

Thanks for the quick response!
Dan

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Mine was the same way when it got hot.. It would humming and then after a 3hr drive it would be screaming.. I never understood why, but again I never had any issues with it making power or holding fuel psi. :beer:

fox_box

Rookie
Established Member
Hate rehash an old post but I had a similar issue. T-Rex would get loud after a couple hours. Never had an issue till last week. Got loud then just died in me as I was accelerating from a light. Got stranded at a busy intersection? Is my pump going bad or is it something else?

STEEDA SNAKES

Established Member
My '98 Steeda Cobra has been having this same issue. The car doesn't get driven much at all, and about a year ago I lost fuel pressure and it died during acceleration. I thought it could have been bad/old gas or trash in the tank, since the car doesn't get out much. It has basically been sitting since last year. I have treted the fuel once again with Seafoam and it seems better, but the T-Rex has a varied humm, instead of a constant humm. I was thinking it could be the sock on the pick-up tube, or the stock in-tank fuel pump. I guess I just need to drain the tank and replace both pumps. Are you still having problems with yours?

yellow98stang

Established Member
My '98 Steeda Cobra has been having this same issue. The car doesn't get driven much at all, and about a year ago I lost fuel pressurhatse and it died during acceleration. I thought it could have been bad/old gas or trash in the tank, since the car doesn't get out much. It has basically been sitting since last year. I have treted the fuel once again with Seafoam and it seems better, but the T-Rex has a varied humm, instead of a constant humm. I was thinking it could be the sock on the pick-up tube, or the stock in-tank fuel pump. I guess I just need to drain the tank and replace both pumps. Are you still having problems with yours?

I got it tuned back in February, and they didn't see any issues with it. It hasn't been that hot out yet this year, but it still gets louder for sure when it heats up. I think keeping more than a half tank keeps the gas from getting too hot and keeps it a little more quiet?

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread